• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for new islands

Peter Blood

Privateer
I wrote this topic on my iphone several months ago, but lost everything I wrote (it took me three hours too!), and so I decided to finally rewrite it. Hopefully it will be posted this time.

Alright, so as we all know, build 14 has many new islands added, but it seems that we are still in need of other ones as well. Bellow, I will be listing my ideas for islands, as well as who they will be controlled by (which also affects the name) by which countries in each era.

1. St. Kitts: In the early explorers era, the island is under joint Spanish and French influence. The island is called San Cristobal and has two towns, a Spanish town called Point la Carlos and a French town by the name of Le Dieppe. In the Spanish Main period, the island is named Sainte-Christophe and holds an English settlement (Old Road Port) and a French settlement (New Dieppe). In the Golden Age of Piracy era, the Island is called Saint Christopher and France and England are still in joint control (England still controls Old Road Port, but the French now inhabit a new town called La Basseterre). In the last three eras, England has full control of the island which is now called Saint Kitts. The two settlements are Basseterre and St. Anne's.

2. Providencia Island: In the first era (the era that is specific of my storyline), the island is called Padres del Fuego and contains two settlements owned by Spain, Los Padres and Las Pulgas. The second era is more historical though, since the island has been renamed Providence and is under Spanish and English leadership. The English town is called San Caterina and the Spanish town is Port Providence. In the Golden Age of Piracy, the island is called Providencia and entirely under Spanish control (holding the towns of Santa Catalina and Porto Providencia). The island remains pretty much the same for the next three eras, but in Revolutions and The Corsican, Porto Providencia is renamed Santa Isabel.

3. New Providence: In the first era, the island is called La Bahama and contains the small Spanish anchorage called Nuevo Providencia. In the next era, the name switches to be called New Providence, and the port is renamed Nassau as well as placed under pirate control, which it remains for the next two eras. In the Colonial Powers, Nassau switches over to British hands.

4. Florida Keys: In the first era, the island is Spanish and called Cayo Hueso. The town on it is called Villa Cayo de Oeste. From the second era until the Corsican, the island is a French possession known as Key West holding the settlement of Le Florida Cle. In the Corsican, the island shifts to US control. It is still called Key West, but the town is renamed Port Rodgers.

5. St. Eustatius: In the first era, the island called Sao Statius is not under anybody's control but becomes a Dutch island called Elland Statia in the Spanish Main era (The town is called Haven Van Oranje at this time. Correct me if my Dutch is wrong Pieter, I'm a little rusty at it, but I know some words learned through German). In the rest of the periods, the island is called Saint Eustatius and the city is Oranjestad Statius.

6. Montserrat: In the early era, the island is uninhabited but still called Santa Maria de Montserrat. It is inhabited by the English in the next three eras and called simply Montserrat. The only port on the island is a small one called Plymouth. In the Revolutions period, France controls the isle, and the town name changes to Brades, but switches back to English control, as well as the original town name, in the Corsican Era.

7. Grand Bahama: In the Early explorers, the island is not settled, though the Spanish named it Gran Bajamar. It keeps the name in the next era as well as being colonized by pirates (The pirates call it Wolf's Nest). In the last four periods, the island is renamed Grand Bahama and under English control. The city is also renamed West End.

8. Bermuda: In the first era, it is known as La Bermuda and has a small pirate fort located on it (simply called Bermuda Pirate Fort). In the next era, the English build a second colony on the island called Saint George. It remains under split pirate and English rule for the rest of the eras.

Well, I hope you liked my ideas for proposed islands and I truly wish that they will someday make it into the build. I had a couple other minor ideas as well. My first one was to add a pirate town on Isla Mona, like in Age of Pirates. My second was to move Eleuthera to it's realistic location. My third idea is to actually add the Spanish Main in-game. I believe that would be possible if we ported part of the sailing map from COAS and added it in. If that isn't possible, I don't know if this would work, but we may be able to try and do the same with a non storm engine game like Port Royal 2, so we can add the mainland to build 14 or 15 when it comes out. If anybody else has ideas for new islands, please share them here!

I know there's plenty of other islands in the real Caribbean and I'd like to have a more accurate worldmap, especially because I've been sailing around the area for real for many months of my life.

However, adding new islands is possible merely in the way of the Isla Mona method, eg. not actually having an island model to go with it. Redoing the worldmap is something we never figured out how to do.

Also, porting the CoAS worldmap doesn't work, because the format is very different. The PotC engine doesn't allow us to have the mainland of Mexico in there.

There's still work to do on implementing the current islands fully, such as adding citizens like in the original game's towns to provide rumours and directions and such.

Because it seems that there are only two of those type of citizens in each town. The rest seem to be randomly generated vendors, and or random encounters (pickpockets, guys looking for a fight, guys with loose purses, beggars, the "gentlemen" mistreating the woman in the jungle, and highwaymen). Is it possible to resize the World Map and add new islands using existing models (I know we did that with Cuba, because I'm pretty sure it is a resized version of Oxbay, only stretched. Could we change the location of Eleuthera and add a pirate fort on Mona at least?

However, adding new islands is possible merely in the way of the Isla Mona method, eg. not actually having an island model to go with it. Redoing the worldmap is something we never figured out how to do.

How were Aruba and Curacao added in Build 14 - ( they are not in Build 13 ).

I assume it was the same way all the others ( Cuba, Turks, Hispaniola, Cayman, etc ) were added in Build 13 or earlier.

:mm

We took the Build 13 new islands from the Russian SLiB mod with permission. The Build 14 three new islands are based on a further modified version of the worldmap also made by Russian modders.

We could see if they have any more island models we could use. And what else does need filling on our current islands?

They don't have more islands; the all went to work on CoAS, of course.

What needs filling? The citizens just for the sake of consistency and helping players find their way in new towns, as well as providing the old rumours in ALL towns would be a pretty big job already.
The having the new islands used in quests just so that they don't feel tacked on but part of the game as well. Though that has been done to a pretty large extent in the new storylines already.

It's not technically impossible. I don't think it'll be done though.
We don't really need them and in due time, we'd be better served moving over to CoAS which has a more realistic worldmap already.

how are we going to transition over to COAS? I mean, will we keep all the same storylines and quests? And what of the locations? Will they be changing at all (for instance, Redmond was renamed Port ROyale for a reason, and Port Royal looks entirely different in COAS). Is it also possible to port it to the first age of pirates game? I don't know how many people will be wanting to do that because of StarForce, but I think it would be a strategical plan as it seems like we skip everything for that game.

What's the point of even thinking about this at all? We still need to finish Build 14, which will be a mammoth task on its own and will probably take a lot of time still.
We don't have any REAL plans to port our stuff; we only really have the intention of doing so. As far as I'm concerned at this point, the CoAS team can port over whatever they want and then we'll see what happens.
Porting to AoP 1 makes even less sense because it's older, not quite as good and I don't think there's a legal digital download for it either unlike for CoAS.
Note that porting is NOT something that can be done overnight. That's a big mammoth task too. And that's not even an exaggeration. :shock

What I can't believe is why some extremely conservivitive modders (nobody here I can think of though) get so uptight about porting, and how they think it is illegal to do so. When I used to mod KOTOR 2, people kept telling me left and right that I could get sued for porting music and locations from the first game into the second game. I also agree, with you about not thinking about this. It is a waste of time at the moment as I now realize, and when I finish exams, I will (hopefully) be dedicating a bit more of my time on my Spanish questline.

I've got no worries about the legality of doing it; porting from one Akella game to another. Not to mention CoAS already DOES contain content from PotC.
And that's not because of the modpack either; it's always been in there since the stock game.

Yep its just we would be porting an unfinished buggy modpack and would then have problems of new bugs due to the port as well as the old bugs that weren't fixed and would cause more work

We most definately should have a complete stable build before we port/merge it into CoAS but as Pieter said this is not going to be anytime soon :no

I know it's not an island, but a New Orleans location would be pretty sweet to have in the game since that was a pretty key area also.
keith.gif

Back