• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help I got questions about AOP 2 and POTC PC game

This is Barbossa2 and he's in POTC since long now.
Barbossa2.jpg

This is Barbossa2 and he's in POTC since long now.
Thanks!
That's pretty great. :woot

Time to add him as Free Play character, you think?
Here's a suggestion for his initModels.c code:
Code:
   model.description   =  "They're more like guidelines...";
   model.id           =  "Barbossa2";
   model.FaceId       =  393;
   model.nation       =  ENGLAND;
   model.price           =  1000;
   model.assigned       =  true;
   model.name = "Hector";
   model.lastname = "Barbossa";
   model.storytitle = "On Stranger Tides";
   model.storytext = "Are your days of pirating truly behind you? Or do you serve the crown for your own ulterior motives?";
   model.playertype = PLAYER_TYPE_CORSAIR;
   model.ship = "RN_Razee";
   model.shipname = "Providence";
   model.Flags.Pirate = 0;
   model.Flags.Personal = 2;
   model.date.hour = 9;
   model.date.year = 1744;
   AddCharacterModel(model);

I notice he doesn't seem to have a 256 portrait yet...

He'll be in the next update. As well as the new 256x256 portrait, I've added the data provided by @Pieter Boelen to his entry in "initModels.c", and moved it next to the "Barbossa" definition. I've also added the new story title and text to "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\Storyline\storyline_strings.txt".

Storyline selection, character interface, outfit, action shot (interface intentionally left on so you can see the 64x64 portrait)
barbossa2_select_story.jpg barbossa2_character.jpg barbossa2_outfit.jpg barbossa2_ashore.jpg

I've added the data provided by @Pieter Boelen
Looks like I made a mistake then.
His personal flag was meant to be the blue British ensign to match his role as Privateer for them.

Also, is there anyone more familiar with the HMS Surprise?
The Providence was played by the film version from Master & Commander.
That much I know.
But I can't remember what was up with all the different variations.

I just chose one. Semi-randomly.
Just made sure she didn't have the name "Surprise" on her stern; which seemed a bit inappropriate to me...

I wouldn't get too attached to those British ensigns. When we run out of Personal flags and need to lose some old ones in order to create new ones, they'll be the first to go - if you want to fly a British flag, fly an actual British flag, that way you get the correct version for your chosen period. And on that note, the blue British ensign is wrong for Barbossa as it includes the St. Patrick's cross, which wasn't added until later. As Barbossa's nation is set to ENGLAND for this version, he'll be a British corsair by default and will start with the accurate British naval flag for "Colonial Powers" period - see the "action shot" screenshot. If he's flying a Personal flag then he's probably on his way to discarding his LoM but hasn't reverted to full pirate yet, so perhaps pick a Personal flag to suit that.

"HMS_Surprise" is the film-accurate version with "Surprise" on the stern. "RN_Surprise" is presumably an earlier, less accurate version without the nameplate. "RN_Razee" is the British version of the flushdeck frigate, alias "FR_Boussole". I'll change Barbossa to use "RN_Surprise".

I wouldn't get too attached to those British ensigns. When we run out of Personal flags and need to lose some old ones in order to create new ones, they'll be the first to go - if you want to fly a British flag, fly an actual British flag, that way you get the correct version for your chosen period. And on that note, the blue British ensign is wrong for Barbossa as it includes the St. Patrick's cross, which wasn't added until later. As Barbossa's nation is set to ENGLAND for this version, he'll be a British corsair by default and will start with the accurate British naval flag for "Colonial Powers" period - see the "action shot" screenshot. If he's flying a Personal flag then he's probably on his way to discarding his LoM but hasn't reverted to full pirate yet, so perhaps pick a Personal flag to suit that.
Then feel free to pick whatever personal flag seems Barbossa-ey to you.

"HMS_Surprise" is the film-accurate version with "Surprise" on the stern. "RN_Surprise" is presumably an earlier, less accurate version without the nameplate. "RN_Razee" is the British version of the flushdeck frigate, alias "FR_Boussole". I'll change Barbossa to use "RN_Surprise".
And "FR_Boussole" was an even earlier, less accurate version of the Surprise I think.
But indeed Barbossa shouldn't have the TOO inaccurate version, so: good call! :onya

Then feel free to pick whatever personal flag seems Barbossa-ey to you.
He's been using Personal flag 2 for ages with his original model, so I see no reason to change it. The name "Barbossa" hints at Spanish or Portuguese ancestry.

Otherwise he's the Pirate Lord of the Caspian Sea, so perhaps one of the Russian flags. Number 11 is the blue cross with red and white quarters and is an early Russian flag, though by 1740 they were using number 18, blue saltire on white. Perhaps Barbossa then took over the older flag for himself. In any case, whatever "Barbossa2" uses, "Barbossa" should match.

And "FR_Boussole" was an even earlier, less accurate version of the Surprise I think.
Very inaccurate, it's in a French colour scheme. :D It shows up in "Tales of a Sea Hawk", as the ship you bring back to Port Royale along with her captain, Rabel Yverneau.

If his ship in the film is the same as HMS Surprise in "Master and Commander" then "RN_Surprise" is appropriate. Not knowing that, I was quite happy to let him have "RN_Razee" - the flushdeck frigate is my favourite ship in "Colonial Powers" and I keep using it even after I've taken the Black Pearl in "Tales of a Sea Hawk".

If you say so. :cheeky
As you wrote the data for "Barbossa2", I'll leave the final choices to you - if you want different Personal flags for "Barbossa" and "Barbossa2", they can use your choices - Catalonian, old Russian navy, or futuristic British navy.

Perhaps Barbossa added the St. Patrick's cross to the British flag before Britain did, to honour his mother. Or another option could be the Irish harp flag. And his original Catalonian flag is for his father.

Source: Hector Barbossa
Like most pirates, Hector Barbossa came from England's West Country,and his mother was Irish. Nothing is known of Barbossa's father, but his last name indicates possible Portuguese or Spanish origin.

Last edited:
c

cant find it
RESOURCE\MODELS\Characters folder.
You'd need to have a vaguely up-to-date version of the mod installed, of course.

You cannot find him inside the game just yet, because his nation was set to BROKEN .
That will change with @Grey Roger's next update.

Edit "PROGRAM\Models\initModels.c". Find the entry for "Barbossa2". At present it probably looks like this:
Code:
   model.description =  "";
   model.id      =  "Barbossa2";
   model.FaceId   = 393;
   model.nation     =  BROKEN;
   model.assigned   =  true;
Change it to this:
Code:
   model.description =  "They're more like guidelines...";
   model.id     =  "Barbossa2";
   model.FaceId     =  393;
   model.nation     =  ENGLAND;
   model.price     =  1000;
   model.assigned     =  true;
   model.name     = "Hector";
   model.lastname     = "Barbossa";
   model.storytitle  = "On Stranger Tides";
   model.storytext     = "Are your days of pirating truly behind you? Or do you serve the crown for your own ulterior motives?";
   model.playertype  = PLAYER_TYPE_CORSAIR;
   model.ship     = "RN_Surprise";
   model.shipname     = "Providence";
   model.Flags.Pirate = 0;
   model.Flags.Personal = 11;
   model.date.hour     = 9;
   model.date.year     = 1744;
If there is no entry for "Barbossa2" then you probably have an old version of the game which does not have the "Barbossa2" model either. In that case, do not try to add him into "initModels.c" - he may show up in character selection but the game will crash if you try to choose him.

PotC has gotten quite a few votes during the years, many more than CT or COAS.
But it still is not available.
I don't see it getting there to be honest, as I think that it is quite a complex case.

Your best bet is Amazon or eBay.
If you want help with finding it PM me.

Back