• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hunter mod

superdurnius

Corsair
Coordinator
3D Artist
Storm Modeller
Just saw "Ideas for the future" post... And remembered my old idea. It wasn't written publically... I just wrote it to Pirate_KK... He liked that and promissed te to make it reallity sometime.

But I desided to write it publically so it won't be forgoten eather by me or Pirate_kk... And it alo might get improoved by the community.

Here is my dialogue with Pirate_kk

I wrote:
I have another Idea: Pirate Bounty Hunter.

In all around the Caribbean roams many pirates... Some of them are famous... Here is my Idea:

1. You can get list of "famous" pirates from nation governor or commanding officer, or informer in tavern (many resources to update list, to compensate possible bad relations with specific nation (if you at war with England, you can get England Pirates List at the other source)).

2. You, at the quests tab, have sub tab for that kind of lists. He updates after every time you update it.
That list shows pirates name, reward for his head, reason of bounty, ships name, nation, and last known his condition (dead, captured by Nation)

4. You might encounter any of them at complete random... Some kind of drop. If you're lucky (or unlucky) you'll encounter someone. You cant guaranty what you'll encounter. If you encountered him, he beats you or you him...
Rewards:
He beats you: No reward. Possible dead, possible respawn (if respawn mod is on)
You kill him: 100% of reward from pirates nation governor, 75% reward from pirates nation other source, 50% from any other nations governor, other nation other sources don't give you reward.
You capture him: 200% of reward from pirates nation governor, 150% reward from pirates nation other source, 100% from any other governor, 50% any other source.

Then his condition changes to dead or captured by nation.

Now, why I'm writing this to you, not to some kind of quest coder? Because There I need you to code list interface (will make you concept little later). And also, here is 2 lists of pirates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pirates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_pirates

I'd like for this mod to be created new Init code file. Separate file, because all characters in that list will be use for bounty list only, and will leave posibility of adding more pirates later. So all mod get fully auto generated. Only thing someone will need to do late, will be edit that new file to ad new bounty. There would be created something like this
Code:
///--> Sir Henry Morgan <--\\\
//character data
ch.id = "SirHenryMorgan";
ch.name = "Sir Henry";
ch.Lastname = "Morgan";
ch.model = "...";
ch.sex = "man";
ch.rank = 10; // depends on your level and his, how big chance is to encounter him
ch.nation = "England";
ch.ship.id = "...";
ch.ship.name = "...";
... // anything other, that need to be added to character as skills, perks
//bounty data
ch.bounty.start = 1663 //date from when he's possible to encounter
ch.bounty.start.reason = "pirate"; // For what there is bounty on him. And also shows, where there is possibility to meat him. If pirate, you can encounter him on map and land. If treason, only on land and etc...
ch.bounty.island = "exbay"; //reference island of that character. There is most chances to encounter him on that island
ch.bounty.island.chance = 30; //chance of encountering him on his island. This time he's posible to encounter 30% on oxbay and 70% on rest of the Caribbean.
ch.bounty.end = 1674 //Date from when he's not possible to encounter any more
ch.bounty.end.reason = "death" // If you won't do anything to him, this will be writen to his condition after bounty end date.
ch.bounty.bounty = 100000; // Bounty for his head

Random quest... Funny to do in free roam... Fits all storylines... Historicaly acurate?

Write your opinion... :dance

Pirate_kk:
I must say that I like that.

SuperDurnius said:
2. You, at the quests tab, have sub tab for that kind of lists. He updates after every time you update it. That list shows pirates name, reward for his head, reason of bounty, ships name, nation, and last known his condition (dead, captured by Nation)
At easier difficulty levels there would be also information like: "Last seen near island ...".

SuperDurnius said:
4. You might encounter any of them at complete random... Some kind of drop. If you're lucky (or unlucky) you'll encounter someone. You cant guaranty what you'll encounter. If you encountered him, he beats you or you him...
Rewards:
He beats you: No reward. Possible dead, possible respawn (if respawn mod is on)
You kill him: 100% of reward from pirates nation governor, 75% reward from pirates nation other source, 50% from any other nations governor, other nation other sources don't give you reward.
You capture him: 200% of reward from pirates nation governor, 150% reward from pirates nation other source, 100% from any other governor, 50% any other source. Then his condition changes to dead or captured by nation.
Maybe some of them would be a "corsairs" - I mean captains who officially don't belong to some nation navy, but use that country harbors and protection attacking its enemies in return. In this case you would get reward from contry's enemies, but that country and its allies would get angry at you.
I would need to also make sure that we can set encounter on map. Those are generated by engine, but at least we have freedom in deciding which ships to spawn upon encounter, so we would make a condition like
Code:
if (rand(100) > stf(ch.bounty.island.chance) && sti(ch.nation) == enconter_nation && nearby_island == ch.bounty.island) {
put our pirate here
}
Condition isn't fully right, because it assumes that pirate will be present only at set island, but that's only a illustration.

I wrote
At land we have some encounters... That bunch of traders, or "free the lady", or bandits, or "undead monkeys", or simply some passenger (lonely trader?)... We only need to make new one "bounty"...

For the code, note, that I've written him while knowing nothing about coding... Simply using InitCharacters.c as reference... I guess he shouldn't look like that...

When you think you'll start work on this? Should I post it to brainstorming for Idea support? Possible more bounty reasons? Or might be include someone else in this discussion?

You could complete only the code and interface part, with one pirate for testing. Then I could find some "crazy-for-history" dude to add all those pirates...

Do I start annoy you? I know what's the feeling when someone tries to rush you on creative job...

EDIT: there mightbe need of one more value, ch.nation2 or smth like that.
For treason, nation would show hes nation of origin, which he betrayed. Nation 2 would show his friendly nation for which he worked.
For Pirate, nation would also show his country of origin, which would be happy to get him for nations name ruining. Nation 2 would be set to "pirate" probably
For Corsair, nation would show the same as for pirate, and nation2 would show the nation, that he used for protection (As you've written)...

In some cases, you should learn somehow nation2 in-game (or keep it at secret, because if you captured corsair, and desired to bring him to nation which is protecting him, they will take him, but won't give you any reward (and probably bring you to jail or smthg like that (need of quest coder here))).

Just a thought, in both main quests I use some famous captains like Morgan, Roche Brasiliano and so on..... It could have some problems with the story if the player randomly meets these pirates. The solution would be to disable the few ones I use in my storylines..

Interesting. This is about pirate, and if we actually meet some real ones........

Just saw "Ideas for the future" post... And remembered my old idea. It wasn't written publically... I just wrote it to Pirate_KK... He liked that and promissed te to make it reallity sometime.
That's what that thread is all about; keeping these great ideas alive!
I'll add it to the list with a link, if you like. :onya

This does sound like a fun idea, though we'll probably be forced to not do much with it until we've got Build 14 closer to completion/start on Build 15.

As for Bartolomeu's concern, it'd be easy enough to prevent storyline used characters from showing up randomly as well.

This does sound like a fun idea, though we'll probably be forced to not do much with it until we've got Build 14 closer to completion/start on Build 15.
Ah, that's what the Future Ideas list is for! ;)

Back