• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How to handle storms?

Fluen

Freebooter
I feel the piece of advice occasionally found on the load screen and the tip during the storm conflict and want to know, what I'm actually supposed to do.

According to the piece of advice from the load screen, I should place my ship along the direction of the wind to minimize damages to my ship. But according to the tip given at the start of a storm I should place my ship perpendicular to the waves.

However, those two directions don't match.
If I turn my ship perpendicular to the waves, so the bow or the aft breaks the waves, my ship seems to rock less and risks fewer sideeffects like loosing cargo and capsizing. But the storm blows on for some time.
If I turn my ship in the direction of the wind, the rocking of the ship becomes greater with greater risk of capsizing, but it seems as if the storm lasts much shorter and often stops, if I find the correct position along the direction of the wind.

What to do?

good luck and try not to catch the waves from the bow .. and close the sails to reduce the damage .. however in map mode if I can I avoid them ...

That's what I do:

1. Do a save after every successfull boarding and every team I leave an island and go to sea.
2. If I get into a storm, I swear and curse and either reload this latest save or quit the game and reload the latest save a bit later

Exception: When I'm just on my way to test something with no intent to continue after that, I strike all sails during the storm and wait for the world map icon at speed x20.

in summary it is more or less the same thing .. except for the curses those I keep in my head (I play with my 6 year old daughter) . yes your procedure is correct the same .. well I save a continuation .. and what do I have to do now I never do it automatically it is a defect due to the mind I was playing Coas that every ten minutes the Windows crash was at home ...

Just to stay on the subject .. today storm is coming, offshore is preparing ...

Attachments

• IMG-20220423-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220423-WA0000.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 46
I feel the piece of advice occasionally found on the load screen and the tip during the storm conflict and want to know, what I'm actually supposed to do.

According to the piece of advice from the load screen, I should place my ship along the direction of the wind to minimize damages to my ship. But according to the tip given at the start of a storm I should place my ship perpendicular to the waves.

However, those two directions don't match.
If I turn my ship perpendicular to the waves, so the bow or the aft breaks the waves, my ship seems to rock less and risks fewer sideeffects like loosing cargo and capsizing. But the storm blows on for some time.
If I turn my ship in the direction of the wind, the rocking of the ship becomes greater with greater risk of capsizing, but it seems as if the storm lasts much shorter and often stops, if I find the correct position along the direction of the wind.
The first - turn perpendicular to the waves. I doubt that your ship's heading has any effect on the duration of the storm. Well, alright, it can, in a way. If you don't turn perpendicular to the waves then you may sink, which will bring both the storm and the entire game to an end. :p

Thank you, Grey Roger.

BathtubPirate: I do more or less the same about saving. I just don't reload, if I accidentially hit a storm, when I enter the sea from the world map.

Back