• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help How to change controls/arrow keys for lefties?

ValoWay

Landlubber
hello,
can anyone please help me out here? I'm desperately trying for days now to somehow change the damn controls of this game...
Google can only spit out one single link to an inconclusive thread:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/remapping-keys.15360/

My problem:
I'm a left-hander and the only thing I want is that my avatar walks left, right, up, down with the arrow keys instead of wasd ! The rest I can easily change ingame...

I found these two files which seem to be related to controls:
aop2/program/controls/controls.c
aop2/program/controls/init_pc.c

in init_pc.c I found these lines:
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "PrimaryLand", "ChrForward", CI_GetKeyCode("KEY_W"), 0, true );
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "PrimaryLand", "ChrBackward", CI_GetKeyCode("KEY_S"), 0, true );
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "PrimaryLand", "ChrStrafeLeft", CI_GetKeyCode("KEY_A"), 0, true );
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "PrimaryLand", "ChrStrafeRight", CI_GetKeyCode("KEY_D"), 0, true );

but when i change them and load up the game my avatar is still controlled with wasd ? And what's even the code for the arrows keys? Like key_left or arrow_left maybe?

I got GOF installed btw...

I really hope someone can help me with this :(

Last edited:
:ahoymate!

I have never felt the urge to change the keys so this may be wrong, but.............

In GOF2--->AOP2-->programs--->controls --->init_pc.c it looks like there is where you adjust the keys to your likeing.

Good Luck!

aop2/SAVE/[your profile name]/options/options

If you look into this file, which you can open by notepad, you'll see that there are your actual key bindings, which you saved/ edited ingame.

But I'm still not sure yet how this thing works. As soon as you make changes which the game does not understand everything switches back to default...

The "option" file located into "<Game directory>\SAVE\<profile>\options\" is configuration file for your actual character. This file is loaded and saved (i think) everytime you load and save the game.

The "init_pc.c" file located into "<Game directory>Program\Controls\" is general configuration for the bunch game. Everytime you start a game or reinitialize the game, the control keys will be resetted as in this file and it will take over the other option file configuration.

I think you have to make you change into "init_pc.c" and reinitialize the game setting... It's work fine for me (even i let the arrow key like the were)... :)

Hope it will help you a littlle bit... ;)

the arrow key command in the files is:
vk_up
vk_down
vk_left
vk_right

I have tested it now & it works for sailing on world map as well. ; )
Look in your files for WMapShipSailUp and so one....

Here all files which I edited to make it work, maybe you can skip there a file but that's how I found it out...
aop2/program/controls/init_pc.c
aop2/SAVE/[your profile name]/options/options
aop2/options

you can open all files with your notepad.

Last edited:
Back