• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved How do I re-activate a character, I can't talk to?

Fluen

Freebooter
I suspect, this is a "bug" of my own doing, as there is a character I can't talk to.

I've just begun to play the quest "Help the Turks Island Settlement" and have gone to Santiago to talk to a Spanish official (Diego Cordoba) and get information from him. He is present in the tavern as expected. But rather than stand by the bar, he walks around and will not talk to me.

I think the cause of this is either, that I conquered Santiago long ago, so a Spanish official doesn't belong in a town with a different government. Or that I have reached a conflicting stage in Tales of a Sea Hawk. Right now, Nathaniel is my steady companion and will be so until after Conzumel. But I tried with a gamesave from before he became my companion with the same results concerning Cordoba.

So is there a console command, that can re-activate Cordoba and make him approachable?

The attached savegame is from the tavern in Santiago, right after I discovered the problem.

Attachments

• files.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
I suspect, this is a "bug" of my own doing, as there is a character I can't talk to.

I've just begun to play the quest "Help the Turks Island Settlement" and have gone to Santiago to talk to a Spanish official (Diego Cordoba) and get information from him. He is present in the tavern as expected. But rather than stand by the bar, he walks around and will not talk to me.

I think the cause of this is that I conquered Santiago long ago,

So is there a console command, that can re-activate Cordoba and make him approachable?
Presuming you don't mind the dialogue being about the Spanish Governor, Diego going to investigate smuggling (and with Spanish soldiers) for what is now your colony and there actually being no Spanish Governor to plan an attack on Turks, etc.............. then

This thread (and specifically post #11) should be of some help

https://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/tavern-keeper-cant-be-interacted-with-dead-albatross.33638/

Diego Cordoba is defined in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\SideQuest.c" his ch.id is just his name and the other line of definition is LAi_SetCivilianGuardianType(ch);

Last edited:
Yes, it worked. But I had to twist my brain to understand what to do, when I haven't dared touch such a complex file before.

Now I'm back at Turks island and on my way to warn Pieter Boelen (the one on the island - the one in this forum is undoubtedly aware, that the Spanish intended to invade Turks a couple of centuries ago ;)).

Thank you, pedrwyth and Grey Roger. I've kept the original console file for Simon Hanpool and a copy of the instructions in the hope to be able to solve this myself, if a similar problem arises in the future. And the very very original console file to save ones own character from freezing is back in its place in the program folder.

I had to twist my brain to understand what to do, when I haven't dared touch such a complex file before.

Thank you, pedrwyth and Grey Roger. I've kept the original console file for Simon Hanpool and a copy of the instructions in the hope to be able to solve this myself, if a similar problem arises in the future.

It's that "Give a person a fish and they eat for a day.* Teach a person to fish and they eat for life#" philosophy.

*if they're not Vegan/vegetarian or faith restricted in some way.
#If the fish stocks at their location are not depleted by excessive fishing or impacted by chemical pollution.

Last edited:
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I've encountered a similar problem with the gunsmith on La Grenade (Diego Uargo) stuck in a "don't hurt me!" pose. I have never attacked or been hostile in La Grenade or towards Portugal in this playthrough. He's just stuck like that and won't communicate. I even have a letter of marque with the governor, so I have no idea what is wrong with him or how to fix it. I tried to follow the guidance from that other thread mentioned by Pedrwyth in post #2, but I don't know which file defines the smiths, unless they're classed under StoreOwners.c?

EDIT: Scratch that. Found it under Conceicao.c. From there I simply downloaded the console.c in post #8 of the thread, crossreferenced it with mine to know what to change for future reference [it was just two lines of code near the start of the document], and followed the instructions in post #11. Problem solved. Described the process here so that anyone else who runs into the problem knows how to tackle it.

Last edited:
Back