• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hook's fixes

It was never my intention that Isla Mona be permanently skipped. I put the code in as a test to make sure it could be done, and to see what the area was like without the island. It's easy enough to add conditions to make it appear, but I'll need to know what those are. For example, there's no problem with having it on the open sea map, and I'll code that in before anyone else sees the code. It's only on the normal map that it's a problem.

And it's a major problem. Try sailing east from Santo Domingo on the normal map, and don't use time compression after you pass the south point of Hispaniola. I can help that problem a bit, but I can't make it right. You end up really really close to the Isla Mona shore. It's a good thing the game stops your ship when you do an island transition. It's worse if you're going any kind of speed, because you'll travel farther before the actual transition. As long as you're there, turn north and try to sail around Isla Mona to San Juan. Oh, and don't turn off directsail to do that, because a new player won't know about doing that.

There are far too many island transitions where you end up too close to the new island. It's even worse if you've got an encounter ship around that delays transition. Even if you turn directsail off, when you turn it back on again you could be right against an island.

All these problems can be solved by moving the islands farther apart, which isn't feasible, or making the islands smaller, which is how the open sea map does it and why it works so well.

I'm not sure what you'd do if you did go to Isla Mona to visit friends there unless they're on a ship. The island doesn't have any sail-to options, and while there's a reload point on the island, called Isla Mona Shore, I think, I've sailed around the island without finding any mooring spots. Granted, I might have missed it if it's there.

I don't like changing the WDM_MAP_TO_SEA_SCALE value, because it causes some inconsistencies, but it doesn't seem to affect the game and if you aren't running debug code you wouldn't even know it. In fact, changing that scale doesn't affect game play to any noticeable degree except that the island transitions are much smoother and the main difference would be a new map with slightly smaller islands. The map won't be near as bad as the open sea map, which I thought was broken the first time I saw it. Ideally, the map will end up looking much like maps of the real region.

I've already scaled Cuba to see what was involved. I can do the entire map, but without the original graphics (for example, the base map without any islands and the texture used to create the borders around the islands) it won't look as good as it could.

The player should be able to sail between two islands in a reasonable amount of time without being forced to use time compression. Island transitions should be smooth, and the islands should appear to be far enough apart when you do the transition that you're not wondering where the new island came from or why you're right on top of it. There should be enough distance between islands to allow encounters to spawn, but not so much that the player has to use time compression just to get through the experience. While I don't mind a two hour real time sail, I don't think many other people would enjoy it.

All that and I've got a new-in-the-box copy of COAS waiting to be installed. I doubt it will be as good as New Horizons even with mods.

Hook

Great work, Hook! COAS with GOF is unexplored territory for you? You can be happy about that, such a great game is waiting for you. And the game is also waiting for a genius who could fulfill the direct sail dream. Just mention it :rofl

I'm not sure what you'd do if you did go to Isla Mona to visit friends there unless they're on a ship. The island doesn't have any sail-to options, and while there's a reload point on the island, called Isla Mona Shore, I think, I've sailed around the island without finding any mooring spots. Granted, I might have missed it if it's there.
The mooring point is disabled unless you're playing one of the storylines which uses Isla Mona, so indeed you can not land there. There are several other places which are similarly disabled unless you're playing the right storyline or sidequest.

If you want to play around with Isla Mona, edit "PROGRAM\ISLANDS\Islands_init.c", find the section for Isla Mona, then comment out this line:
Code:
rIsland.reload.l1.enable = false;

Thanks, Grey Roger! I can use that to make Isla Mona disappear when you can't land there. I could also leave it in, but it's a bit of a problem for the normal map.

And thanks, Marki. The only reason I bought COAS was because someone on Steam said it had been modded to include directsail. I'm gonna guess that's another mod which I won't mention. If I start doing mods for GOF, that's probably going to be the first.

Hook

@LarryHookins - - This is amazing work :type1

If you are looking at the islands - don't forget the Isla de Muerte - can be activated in Free Play, not just the Jack Sparrow story. :yes

Need to get the special compass from Mr Gibbs in the Tortuga tavern - to make it appear on the World Map

Location approx. - South South West of Jamaica -- North West of Aruba

:read

Thanks Talisman.

If people want to make islands invisible for whatever reason, the code is there. I don't see any reason to make them invisible unless the quest writers prefer it, so I'm not going to mess with it until asked.

I can also use islands for transition calculations, but exclude them from the Navigator's report. Or give them a name like "Unknown Island" unless they're supposed to be active.

I sailed past Petit Tabac last night, and it was pretty cool. That's a good island to be on a map only as a location name. I was doing some timing tests or I would have sailed around it. It's just the right size for the spot it's in.

Isla Mona is special because if you use the normal map (not open sea) and sail on your ship, it's a navigation hazard sailing between Santo Domingo and anywhere on Puerto Rico. In Open Sea it's fine where it is, but not on the normal map. I know other people have asked that Mona be moved, but I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'm looking for a way to make it livable in its current size and location.

One test I'll request people to do before I release the new directsail code is to sail on the normal map from Santo Domingo to San Juan, and back if they choose. Then with the new version, do the test again and let me know how you like it. Obviously Isla Mona won't be excluded from the map for this.

Hook

Isla de Muerta literally doesn't exist until you get the compass.
So that should already be handled correctly.

I personally would never want to touch CoAS modding again.
Not because of anything wrong with the game, but because of the needless can of worms that surrounds it for no good reason.
As far as I'm aware, they never did get a true DirectSail working there, but I could very well be wrong.

And the fix for games crashing when you try to save. This may not fix all instances of crashing, for example when we've added too many variables outside functions.

This goes in the INTERFACE folder.

Hook
Did you actually get that to work? Because I incorporated it into my set of post-28th July fixes. After a clean installation plus a run of the 28th July installer, I dropped the post-28th July fixes onto that install, ran it, and the game immediately crashed with this in "error.log":
Code:
COMPILE ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 483
Undeclared identifier: LaunchInstallError
"seadogs.c", line 483 is this:
Code:
LaunchInstallError();
Function 'LaunchInstallError()' is defined in "interface.c" - and isn't in yours. Using WinMerge on your "interface.c" plus the default one from the 28th July install, I was able to put 'LaunchInstallError()' back into "interface.c", and with that in place, the game ran correctly.

@Grey Roger: Hook is still using the Build 14 Beta 4 public release files, so what he posted would work fine in that version.

But in the Beta 4.1 WIP, I added that 'LaunchInstallError' function to deliberately break the game if people don't bother to follow the installation instructions correctly.
As long as you WinMerge that back in, it should be fine. :onya

See here for details: Planned Feature - Installer Updates | PiratesAhoy!

Can I get a working link to the Inez Diaz tool? The current links redirect you to a folder that does not exist. There is no tools folder.

Sailing from Curacao to Aruba is a bit problematic, and I can't see any way to fix it. But at least it works. So far, everything else has worked nicely for the normal map. I'm still using 28 for the scale (rather than 19.xx) so the islands on the map display are too big... "The islands are enlarged to show detail." :D

Cartagena on the mainland is a bit weird, and I'll have to test that on with the normal scale to see if it helps. I remember that the southern islands weren't quite right before I changed the scale.

I need to sail from Curacao to Martinique to test a problem that SuperCrumpets found, and I'll be watching how directsail works across open water during that time. But for now, it looks like normal map works, and the next test is to make sure the new code works with open sea.

Hook

WOAH! The change I made to sea.c to run SetCorrectWorldMapPosition(); only if reloading a saved game is wrong. Do not do this, or you could end up in a random location when returning from the world map.

Can I get a working link to the Inez Diaz tool? The current links redirect you to a folder that does not exist. There is no tools folder.
Here you go: http://www.piratesahoy.cloud/repository/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/Inez Dias Tool.rar
All the tools were moved to http://www.piratesahoy.cloud

I need to sail from Curacao to Martinique to test a problem that SuperCrumpets found
SuperWHAT???

But for now, it looks like normal map works, and the next test is to make sure the new code works with open sea.
Great news! :woot

WOAH! The change I made to sea.c to run SetCorrectWorldMapPosition(); only if reloading a saved game is wrong. Do not do this, or you could end up in a random location when returning from the world map.
Glad you found out at least. :doff

SuperCrumpets is the Steam friend who bought PotC for the New Horizon's mod, and he's a new user here. He found a problem that going to the world map teleported him elsewhere. I was checking it out when I discovered the sea.c problem I introduced.

Thanks for the new link. None of the old links mention the cloud.

Hook

I haven't been able to keep up with this topic.
Could someone give a recap of what is done and if there are any problems?
@LarryHookins ?

AH! In that case, welcome to the forum, @SuperCrumpets! :cheers

Indeed I admit somebody should update our documentation/forum links.
I wonder if perhaps @Grey Roger would see chance to have a look through the forum stickies?
No, partly because I don't know how to alter a forum sticky, partly because I don't know what I'm looking for, and partly because I'm busy with my own project (in addition to probably needing to update or correct problems with the post-28th July fixes).

I haven't been able to keep up with this topic.
Could someone give a recap of what is done and if there are any problems?
@LarryHookins ?
Hook is making great progress on this issue: Confirmed Bug - DirectSail and WorldMap island transfer inconsistencies | PiratesAhoy!

I think he's doing pretty much OK. There seem to be some difficulties with transfers relating to Isla Mona,
so that will probably be disabled (from DirectSail ONLY!) unless deliberately enabled for quest purposes.

No, partly because I don't know how to alter a forum sticky, partly because I don't know what I'm looking for, and partly because I'm busy with my own project (in addition to probably needing to update or correct problems with the post-28th July fixes).
What you're looking for: Forum stickies containing dead/incorrect links to any of the Modding Tools. How to alter them: Just use the "Edit" button.
You should have forum rights to do that and I think you've edited posts before, so it should be fairly straightforward.

The wiki points to modding tools as well, and that's where I found broken links. Try to download anything.

I suggest adding Code::Blocks to the modding tools. It's an Integrated Development Environment with an editor similar to notepad++. Install and make a new project that points to your PROGRAM folder. It enables you to do things like quickly search the entire project for text and right click on a variable to find out where it's defined and open the file pointing to the appropriate line. Editor has configurable syntax highlighting and gives you a lot of help when entering code.

Levis, I'd have to search the thread to find out what all I've posted so far, but right now the main push is to restructure the directsail code to make island transitions smoother. Isla Mona is a problem on the normal map, but not the open sea map, because it's too big for where it's at. I've done stuff to help the problem a little. Along the way I'm looking for why directsail sets your displayed map position slightly off from where it originally shows and why the position can be far off sometimes.

And how do I do a user reference in a post?

Hook

The wiki points to modding tools as well, and that's where I found broken links. Try to download anything.
@Talisman, would you be able to fix that? I'm not sure which Wiki page has the offending links. :unsure

I suggest adding Code::Blocks to the modding tools. It's an Integrated Development Environment with an editor similar to notepad++. Install and make a new project that points to your PROGRAM folder. It enables you to do things like quickly search the entire project for text and right click on a variable to find out where it's defined and open the file pointing to the appropriate line. Editor has configurable syntax highlighting and gives you a lot of help when entering code.
It does sound very useful! :cheers

And how do I do a user reference in a post?
Just type "@" and then the username.

Back