• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Hiring Lucas Da Saldanha as an officer?

Kahenraz

Landlubber
I haven't played through all of the content yet so I can't confirm if this is a problem but there is some dead code here.

PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c

Code:
case "Lucas_officer":
   Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Lucas Da Saldanha")].dialog.Filename = "Enc_Officer_dialog.c"; // PB
   Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Lucas Da Saldanha")].dialog.CurrentNode = "hired";
break;

This case exists but there is never an event which triggers "Lucas_officer".

The quests list suggests that he can be hired:

Find the missing son of the Spanish Admiral | PiratesAhoy!

Quest cases are not just triggered from the same quest code file. This one is triggered from "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Lucas Da Saldanha_dialog.c":
Code:
       case "First time":

Dialog.defAni = "dialog_stay1";
           Dialog.defCam = "1";
           Dialog.defSnd = "dialogs\0\017";
           Dialog.defLinkAni = "dialog_1";
           Dialog.defLinkCam = "1";
           Dialog.defLinkSnd = "dialogs\woman\024";
           Dialog.ani = "dialog_stay2";
           Dialog.cam = "1";
           Dialog.snd = "dialogs\0\009";

Preprocessor_Add("sir", GetMyAddressForm(NPChar, PChar, ADDR_POLITE, false, false)); // DeathDaisy

dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[0];
           link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[1];
           if(IsOfficer(CharacterFromID("Lucas Da Saldanha"))) AddDialogExitQuest("Lucas_officer"); // GR: Switch to normal officer dialog
           link.l1.go = "Exit";

break;

No problem - better to have a report of a possible problem that turns out not to be a problem, than have a genuine problem unreported because nobody bothered to report it. :onya

If you want to see how quests work, try playing the "Assassin", "Bartolomeu" or "Hornblower" storylines. They're all fairly linear - everything happens in a single sequence and the code is pretty well structured. Don't try to follow the code for "Tales of a Sea Hawk" unless you like trying to unravel spaghetti!

No problem - better to have a report of a possible problem that turns out not to be a problem, than have a genuine problem unreported because nobody bothered to report it. :onya
:bow :bow :bow

Indeed we all learned somewhere.
And based on your questions, I can already tell you know PLENTY thing that I myself don't. :onya

I'm still coming to grips with how the scripting language works. Thank you for being patient with me.
If you haven't seen it yet, this thread might be of some use:
Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks
Using trick #3, you can type "Lucas_officer" in your Windows Search Bar and you'll be directed to "Lucas Da Saldanha_dialog.c" very quickly. :doff

Back