• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Help with period specific thingies

I would like some of the ships and weapons to appear in cerain timelines where they historicaly shouldn't be there. What do I have to edit? For example, I want Corvettes to appear durring the Spanish main period during the Bartolomeu o Portugues storyline, what do I have to do? :)

Try Arcade Mode..but i'm not sure if its not period specific..although i want all the modes to be period and historically accurate..

You need to edit PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c and PROGRAM\ITEMS\initItems.c .
Just search those files for "period" to find the relevant coding. It shouldn't be too complicated to figure out.

After making your changes, press F11 to reinitialize.

You need to edit PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c and PROGRAM\ITEMS\initItems.c .
Just search those files for "period" to find the relevant coding. It shouldn't be too complicated to figure out.

After making your changes, press F11 to reinitialize.

Oh thank you very much!! Did not see that coming :D

I noticed something and I have a qeuestion: I was playing Bartolomeu o Portugues storyline during the Spanish main, and I noticed that when I board the ship, all of the Sapnish soldiers were carrying just one type of the sword. Is this some kind of bug or is it intended to be like that? Can't there be more variety? :D

Edit: If I am not mistaken, the sword was called Tizona.

I don't know for sure, but soldiers have a standaard uniform right? This also includes a weapon. So naturally all soldiers would have the same weapon.

Nation-specific weapons are intentional for sure. :yes

The Arcade/Realistic Game Mode toggle has zero to do with period accuracy.
The modpack is set up to be accurate, though the top of ships_init.c does have a toggle for people who would prefer 100% variety.

Does the items have that toggle too? If so does it apply to the unique weapons too? Also I have a question: How to obtain a sword by the name of "Sir Francis Drake sword"? From what I am seeing sword exists but it can't be obtainable as it is not in stores nor you can stumble upon it at random. :(

Edit: Isn't there should be more nation-secific weapons for all the nations? All I am seeing is Spanish having Tizonas, and Dutch having Dutch Admiralty Swords, but before looting you can see that sometimes they are fighting with a different weapon. What I am saying is that everytime the loot content is exacly the same, regardless of what soldier actually has. D:

Last edited:
Did you look through initItems.c for "period" yet? There is relevant code there. But it looks a bit different from the ships version.

"Sir Francis Drake sword" is a reward in one of the sidequests. I thought it was this one: http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/find-angelique-moulins-father/

Sometimes I get the impression that the Nation-Specific Soldier Weapons don't always work right.
But why, I do not know. The function responsible for that is GiveSoldierWeapon in PROGRAM\Periods.c .

The Arcade/Realistic Game Mode toggle has zero to do with period accuracy.
The modpack is set up to be accurate
, though the top of ships_init.c does have a toggle for people who would prefer 100% variety.
I'm really glad to know that...phew! :facepalm :D :onya

Hey I checked out the code and found this:

void GiveSoldierWeapon(ref curchar, int iNation)
{
TakeItemFromCharacter(curchar, GetCharacterEquipByGroup(curchar, BLADE_ITEM_TYPE));
TakeItemFromCharacter(curchar, GetCharacterEquipByGroup(curchar, GUN_ITEM_TYPE));

//ARF change: sword equip depends on nation char (later periods) i always put the less rare swords
if(GetCurrentPeriod() >= PERIOD_GOLDEN_AGE_OF_PIRACY)
{
switch(iNation)
{
case ENGLAND:
GiveItem2Character(curchar, "blade39");//ARF: Gold Handled Naval Dirk, awesome looking (available from golden age of piracy)
break;
case FRANCE:
GiveItem2Character(curchar, "blade3");//ARF: Badelaire (available in all periods but guards get later)
break;
case SPAIN:
GiveItem2Character(curchar, "blade47");//ARF: Light Tizona (available in all periods but guards get later)
break;
case PORTUGAL:
GiveItem2Character(curchar, "blade29");//ARF: Portuguese Officer's Sword (available in all periods but guards get later)
break;
case HOLLAND:
GiveItem2Character(curchar, "blade26");//ARF: Solingen Rapier (available from spannish main but guards get later)
break;
case AMERICA:
GiveItem2Character(curchar, "blade27");//ARF: Bosun's Choice {no faction} (available from golden age of piracy)
break;
case PIRATE:
GiveItem2Character(curchar, "blade50");//ARF: Venetian Navy Cutlass {pirate sword} (available from golden age of piracy)
break;
// default:
GiveItem2Character(curchar, "blade36");//ARF: hunting sword (all periods available) only for "non regular" nation

These Blades mentioned here are the only ones I get on the enemy loot during the bording, with only exception being pirates, they seem to have more random weapons than the ones asigned to them.

That is indeed the "specific weapon" code. I've heard that it doesn't quite work right though, but I'm not sure why.
What would we want it to do?

Back