• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved help with controls ingame

sweepnclear

Landlubber
some reason i cant seem to parry in this game? everytime i press the control that its set to in the settings it
just seems to do a swing at the opponent i understand holding shift alters your attack but thats not what im after, is there a way to fix this?

not sure, ill have a quick sook. as im not sure if anyone else is online, you are playing AOP COAS, With the GOF mod? or standalone game?

Alrighty. , are you sure you 'can' parry in this game? when i remember playing it im not sure if there was one, though i could be thing of New Horizon's, but ill have a look, but you may have to wait for someone more experienced with it to get help,

ill keep you posted.

PotC: New Horizons never had a parry. Just "Attack" and "Block". Having never played CoAS, I'm not sure about how it is there.

I thought CoAS was a little bit more advanced than PotC on the fencing...?

3 different attack move's, left click normal attack,Right click For Another attack, (Supposed to be parry. but i can only get it to attack) and an attack with mouse wheel. and block with spacebar

Thought it was more advanced! Perhaps the parry does work as parry, but just doesn't look like it?

It IS much more advanced. The beginner often has a hard time picking up all the nuances. I've even encountered experienced players that were unaware of some of the things that they can do.

So....from another post - and there are lots of posts where we discuss sword play if one searches:

.....As is a primary defense in POTC swordplay, You seem to like to duck backwards out of the way, but I find parries and evasions (shift + right mouse) way more effective and they take way less energy than ducking back or to the side. (*Note: This is a couple of different animations where you will actually parry the sword in a circular fashion or move your shoulder out of the way of the attack while moving your sword in a parrying motion)

Also left click attacks are faster than right click attacks, but right click attacks are more damaging wide gut slashes and thrusts if you step forward.

Also the central mouse wheel button (or another button you define in control options) is an overhead slash that is extremely damaging. It takes longer so only use it at the right times like right after your enemy has done it or has just fired a weapon. That single overhead slash can often kill an opponent in a single blow.

One other attack is the shift key + left mouse button which allows wide sweeping slashes on multiple opponents. This can keep your officers alive longer in tough situations and protect them from enemy attacks. After you have good fencing skills - that slash move can really be damaging to the enemy.

Another option on the sweeping slash attack is the half slash. You simply push the space bar after you've slashed in one direction instead of slashing both ways. If you do this in quick succession two or three times, it will throw your enemy back and give your own fighters more room.

With a lot of practice your fencing can really be fluid and you can use combinations to excellent effect. Just take a look at my videos to see what I mean.

I actually really enjoy this aspect of the game and find it FAR superior to POTC's fencing. In fact if POTC offered COAS fencing I would probably play POTC instead of COAS.

Hope this helps.

MK

That really IS quite a difference. I don't think we can modify the PotC fencing system very much though;
the best we were able to do is make blocks not always effective to prevent the "everlasting block" effect. :facepalm

But how do you get all that stuff in your head AND apply it properly in the heat of the moment? Sounds really difficult to me! :shock

It becomes instinctive once you learn it Pieter. You don't even think about it. MK

So how do you judge when to use which attack? Based on the enemy's animation or something?

Exactly - because they will also use all of the different moves on you and with experience you can almost read or detect what they are going to do next.....almost like in real life in watching your opponents eyes and left foot.

MK

And that's a good thing. If you aren't being challenged you get bored.

One thing to note. The combat in POTC, while being very simple, is also much faster than in COAS. COAS has the variety and there is time to think about your next move. POTC is all about timing and reflexes.

In fact, there is parry in COAS, is shift + right mouse button, it does a swing from down to up to take away the enemy sword, but this is not like to other rpg games that will parry automatically... you must do it at the very moment your oponent is attacking you...

Back