• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Need Help with P.I.R.A.T.E.S system

Hello,

I just bought this game online through ebay and it didn't come with an instruction manual :(

I've been surfing online to attempt to find a pdf version of the manual in English but have had no luck. What I'm having trouble with is what exactly each attribute in PIRATES governs and how it affects gameplay. I've played the Pirates of the Caribbean game by Bethesda, so I'm not a complete noob to these style games, I just have no idea what the PIRATES attributes do to your character.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is from my personal translation of russian manual that was posted here on forum, but I think you can get that same info ingame by holding right mouse button over each of the capabilities.

POWER - allows you to hit harder, cast stronger blows with your sword and carry more. It influences the amount you can carry and the amount of life points. Power is the characteristic that greatly influences skills which require a big physical effort like heavy and medium weapons and guns.

INSIGHT - the ability to see and hear. Without a good eye estimation your shots are unlikely to hit the enemy. Impression greatly affects skills like accuracy and security.

REACTION - the coordination of movement and dexterity. The clumsy man gets his sword stuck in a scabbard and boarding hook only hooks his pants. Reaction affects skills like light and medium weapons, pistols and grappling. It also affects the amount of maximum stamina.

AUTHORITY - the combination of a masculine scarred face and a witty tongue. Leaders don't need to resort to force to take goods from unlucky merchant - they give them their goods without a fight. The best man will follow him in to the battle and the beautiful women will wait for him in every port. Authority affects the skills like Leadership and Trade. It also affects the number of officers you're able to recruit.

TALENT - knowledge, wisdom and the ability to make quick decisions. For a clever character it won't take long to reload the pistol quickly as well as get a nice discount at the store. The use of navigational devices and tools also requires the brain. Talent affects trade, cannons, navigation and most importantly the rank advancement rate of the hero as well as obtaining new abilities.

ENDURANCE - it's vital for the survival in the world of cutthroats. Also, very important for the potential costumers as well. Repair and defence are affected by this characteristing as well as the amount of life points and weight you can carry.

SUCCESS - What is there to say about luck? If you're lucky you're a gentleman, and if you have no luck you're most likely a fish food. Helps where everything else is useless, like bullets missing you and the enemies passing by without noticing. Affects the skills like guns, luck and security.

This is from my personal translation of russian manual that was posted here on forum, but I think you can get that same info ingame by holding right mouse button over each of the capabilities.

POWER - allows you to hit harder, cast stronger blows with your sword and carry more. It influences the amount you can carry and the amount of life points. Power is the characteristic that greatly influences skills which require a big physical effort like heavy and medium weapons and guns.

INSIGHT - the ability to see and hear. Without a good eye estimation your shots are unlikely to hit the enemy. Impression greatly affects skills like accuracy and security.

REACTION - the coordination of movement and dexterity. The clumsy man gets his sword stuck in a scabbard and boarding hook only hooks his pants. Reaction affects skills like light and medium weapons, pistols and grappling. It also affects the amount of maximum stamina.

AUTHORITY - the combination of a masculine scarred face and a witty tongue. Leaders don't need to resort to force to take goods from unlucky merchant - they give them their goods without a fight. The best man will follow him in to the battle and the beautiful women will wait for him in every port. Authority affects the skills like Leadership and Trade. It also affects the number of officers you're able to recruit.

TALENT - knowledge, wisdom and the ability to make quick decisions. For a clever character it won't take long to reload the pistol quickly as well as get a nice discount at the store. The use of navigational devices and tools also requires the brain. Talent affects trade, cannons, navigation and most importantly the rank advancement rate of the hero as well as obtaining new abilities.

ENDURANCE - it's vital for the survival in the world of cutthroats. Also, very important for the potential costumers as well. Repair and defence are affected by this characteristing as well as the amount of life points and weight you can carry.

SUCCESS - What is there to say about luck? If you're lucky you're a gentleman, and if you have no luck you're most likely a fish food. Helps where everything else is useless, like bullets missing you and the enemies passing by without noticing. Affects the skills like guns, luck and security.

I think a good pirates system setting is that one:

success: seems to be the less important skill: 3 points are enough.
power, endurance: important for LIFE POINTS, weapon skills and for how much you can carry: 10 points.
reaction: ENERGY 130 makes a fighting machine out of you: 10 points.
talent: about that skill I'm not sure, but if it's true that talent not only lets you climb up in rank faster but also lets you reach a higher rank generally, you should think about 10 points too.
authority: it's nice to be able to have many officers, but it's not important I think. You can live with 3 points.
insight: it's not nice to be a stupid pirate, but you can be: 3 points.

Back