• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Increasing stats and gaining abilities

kwiz

Landlubber
Title says it all. I'm currently sacking ship after ship with Peter Blood, waiting patiently for enough stats to be able to pilot the Arabella (who so far outweighs all other ships in terms of speed, firepower and cargo load) I have stashed in Jamaica.

And my patience is running out. The heavy corvette is a very good ship, but she is sorely lacking in firepower. Currently rank twelve and still can't get on the Arabella's deck without penalties. Also, rank 12 and I only have 4 personal abilities, while ship abilities are 6 or more. Another thing is that altough I've progressed with Jeremy Pitt and Ned Ogle, taking experience sharing as my very first perk personal ability, they have only gained two and three levels respectively, while I have gained at least 9 after choosing that. Is this normal? They're still very useful mates and I will be holding onto them, but I'm afraid they'll get...outdated soon.

So, what is the best way to gain personal abilities? What is the best way to make companions and officers gain abilities? How do I increase my other abilities, both with ships and weapons?Authority especially.

Thank you in advance. Also, many many thanks to the dedicated people creating the GOF mod. Currently playing 1.1.1 and I am fascinated with the number of ships there, and how overpowered some seem. But that's okay, everyone has them.

From what I know, all your problems have been caused by the Peter Blood quest. It affects all your stats, and recovering the missing points caused by the huge ship takes long time, so you'll need even more patience for that matter. The problem with the officers is from what I know iremediable and normal for this character. So as a start, the best way to increase them is by starting with another character. If you want fast progress, Peter Blood is not for you. :dance

Oh bugger! You mean to tell me that this particular slow-down in gaining abilities is caused by the character I chose? Mind you I set experience gain somewhere between half and minimum, still, my mates ARE getting levels. I can mange a slower rythm, especially since Norringtond and Jack Aubrey have joined me and they are both excellent officers.

Eh, I can deal with it. I'm sure the Peter Blood of the book had a hard time himself becoming famous. It's just somewhat frustrating to have that spanish jewel collecting carbuncles in Port Royal.

Any advice on what questline I could start at level 13?

When you look at your character stat interface, are there negative numbers across your stats? If there are you are not going to level quickly or gain attribute upgrades quickly. It could be because you are sailing a ship beyond your abilities. If you want to keep that ship, give it to one of you officers, and then get yourself a ship that is within your current abilities. You will see the negative numbers go away, and you will level up and gain abilities much faster.

MK

No negative numbers, I gave up the Arabella (mine is named Cinqo Liagas) as soon as I came back to port, stored her using all the money I got. Maybe i'm just imagining things, I just want more personal abilities, and I don't know if there is a speedier way to gain them aside from leveling.

Once again, what questline is doable at this level? I've already finished the Austin one around level eight.

The Bluebird quest is already done. She has red sails, and extended crew capacity and was the fear of the seas until I nabbed this heavy corvette with a lot more firepower and men. I've been trying to start the quest to find Sharpe's spy, but none of the two spanish governors will say a word about him. I really want that fancy cuirass.

People on the forum tell that you need to have Sharpe's name mentioned by one of the pirate governors. Unfortunately I've been to two so far, Bermuda and Puerto Principe and none talk about him. How can I get them to talk about sharp? These are pirate leaders, simply offering them all the rum I have won't loose their tongues.

The Search for Sharpe's Spy quest is started by talking to the Spanish officer in the house in either of the Pearl Divers villages.

Walkthrough

Search for Sharp’s spy quest ( can start in either Pearl Divers Village )

Started in the Pearl Diver's village ( this is easiest village to get to – other (from San Juan del Norte ) requires going through cave & light with skeltons
Land at Shores of Amatrice - go through jungle to Pearl Divers village – ( keep going Left ) – in last section talk to village sentry –
At Pearl Diver village talk to Spanish Officer in house accept job – given Rat God Token as down payment – Log Book Update
Go and talk to one of the native indians in the village - Log Book Update.
Sail to San Juan del Norte beach – visit the caves on the shore at night – keep going night after night until you get Log Book Update – saying this is the night, ( might take 8 – 12 visits )
Go into cave – 2 men standing there. Fight – Log Book Update – then go back to Pearl Village to claim reward. from Spanish Officer - Log Book Update – End of Quest.

There are other quests involving Sharpe & the Pearl Fishers - they are part of the Pirates National quest and are given by Henry Morgan.

:mm

The Search for Sharpe's Spy quest is started by talking to the Spanish officer in the house in either of the Pearl Divers villages. ...
Yes.
But the dialogue with the Spanish Officer gives the quest only if you talked, previously, with Jackman or Morgan, requesting information on traffic pearls: they say that the expert is the famous ( :cheeky ) Bartolomew Sharp.
This also serves to trigger the quest "Find the place where there are the pearl divers” which, however, is separated from quest “Search for Sharpe's Spy”.
The quest of spy is interesting because it gives the costly hauberk and the Rat's God, but does not increase particularly the stats.
The faster increase there is, in my opinion, simply sinking or capturing enemy ships.

You don't actually need to have your OWN navigation up to 85 (I think it's 85) to sail the arabella. Having an officer with 85 navigatyion skill as your navigator will work too. In CM, there was a mod to make jeremy pitt start the blood questline with 85 navigation, and I'm not sure why that wasn't included in GoF.

Actually, which IS the fastest way to increase one's navigation skill? Pitt is currently at 57 and driving me nuts. I'm still looking for a 4th rate ship that's better than the heavy corvette, she is very good but sorely lacking in firepower.

Actually, which IS the fastest way to increase one's navigation skill?

Make trade quests, find ships for the portman, fight ships at sea, capture forts. In short: sail.

Cheers.
buho (A).

I'm obviously doing something wrong. I came on the shore one night on San Juan del Norte and surprise, a logbook update stating that they might be there. And then I obliviously passed the two guys in the caves RIGHT on the shore in order to go further on the island and look in the grotto. Needless to say after finding nothing in the grotto(and not saving my game when I first got the notice, in sailing mode next to the shore) I felt like an idiot. So I parked my ship right there and set it in world mode, loading up the shore every night.

....for two months straight.

Nobody came there. What's worse, ever since installing the last GOF addon, I am unable to pay my vrew and docking fees. The button to pay the fees themselves is not highlighted, despite the fact that they're asking for les than 100 000 pieces of eight and i'm a millionair.

So tell me, what am I doing wrong? can this be savescummed? that is, save just before going in sea mode next to the shore? How do I pay my crew and ships?

I'm obviously doing something wrong. I came on the shore one night on San Juan del Norte and surprise, a logbook update stating that they might be there. And then I obliviously passed the two guys in the caves RIGHT on the shore in order to go further on the island and look in the grotto. Needless to say after finding nothing in the grotto(and not saving my game when I first got the notice, in sailing mode next to the shore) I felt like an idiot. So I parked my ship right there and set it in world mode, loading up the shore every night.

You missed them they are in the cave on the beach :razz

You have to go back to a save before you got the logbook update - and play through again - :yes

I did go back, the log book in this save does not say anything about them being there. Altough, here's a funny thing: I saved the moment I went to sea mode...then immediatly after the save the logbook entry popped. The next save was in front of the grotto. Here's a great theory: even though the moment I saved shows no new logbook entry, what if the game is broken? :sadface:

I sunk about 20 pirate ships in the meanwhile, having good relationships with everyone means only pirates are stupid enough to attack you.

I'll just have to come there every now and then and see how things work out.

Edit: finally got some sense into my head and reloaded before that encounter on the shore. Back to square one.

Back