• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Can't take curacao

Sharks Prize

Master Mariner
I've taken quite a few cities in my career as a pirate, in hopes of making every single town a pirate town. But I'm trying to take curacao, and all I can do is take the ransom and leave. It won't let me capture the city and make it my own. So...yeah...why can't I take curacao? I've tried three times.

I've taken quite a few cities in my career as a pirate, in hopes of making every single town a pirate town. But I'm trying to take curacao, and all I can do is take the ransom and leave. It won't let me capture the city and make it my own. So...yeah...why can't I take curacao? I've tried three times.
I'm not sure, but is likely to capture Willemstadt is impossible, perhaps because in Willemstadt must take place other Quests.
Also Panama is impossible.

I'm not sure, but is likely to capture Willemstadt is impossible, perhaps because in Willemstadt must take place other Quests.
Also Panama is impossible.

Well that just sucks.

Unlike AoP, I don't think you can own the whole game map. But that's just hearsay since I've never personally tried it.

For Willemstadt, I'm not sure.
But I'm absolutely sure for Panama.
Except for the last quest of Pirate's line, Panama can not be attacked (by land, obviously), not even after the end of line.
Also Puerto Bello, before the Pirate's quest-line, can be sacked but not captured: after the end of line, can be captured.
On the contrary, Panama can not be attacked: the soldiers refuse to obey.
However, this means that in AoP2 you can not conquer the entire map.

I've lost money in Tortuga, so it is capturable for the NPCs too.

May be we need to take a look into the code?

Cheers.
buho (A).

Cheers.
buho (A).
I also have lost money in Tortuga, and in Willemstadt, as in L'Havana and in Port Royal.
This means that all cities, also capitol ciities, may be sacked (except for Panama, pillaging only in the Pirate's quest-line).
This is expected in the game Vanilla.
The incertitude is if they can be captured.
Certainly, L'Havana and Port Royal can be captured.
If doubts remain, i load old savegames and try to capture also of Tortuga and Willemstadt.
However, for Tortuga there are no impediments, but for Willemstadt there are obligations connected with other quests (quest-line pirate's, quest of beggars, quest-line English, French, Spanish, Dutch, and probably others who do not remember).
Perhaps, because of this, Willemstadt is blocked and must remain always Dutch: can be sacked, but no captured.

Cheers.
buho (A).
I also have lost money in Tortuga, and in Willemstadt, as in L'Havana and in Port Royal.
This means that all cities, also capitol ciities, may be sacked (except for Panama, pillaging only in the Pirate's quest-line).
This is expected in the game Vanilla.
The incertitude is if they can be captured.
Certainly, L'Havana and Port Royal can be captured.
If doubts remain, i load old savegames and try to capture also of Tortuga and Willemstadt.
However, for Tortuga there are no impediments, but for Willemstadt there are obligations connected with other quests (quest-line pirate's, quest of beggars, quest-line English, French, Spanish, Dutch, and probably others who do not remember).
Perhaps, because of this, Willemstadt is blocked and must remain always Dutch: can be sacked, but no captured.

I found this in colonies_init.c:

Code:
colonies[n].notCaptured = true

That line only appears in code for Willemstadt and Porto Bello, so I guess if Porto Bello can be captured after pirate questline is over, probably Willemstadt can be captured too after Kill the beggars is done.

EDIT: also, it appears Panama is missing "colonies[n].FortValue" in the code and that's why it can't be sacked or captured.

:yes :onya
Very good! It seems a confirmation.
If it is correct, there must be also a block for the National Quest-lines: in all National Quest-lines there Quests where it is necessary Willemstad Dutch.
Therefore, to capture Willemstad, is necessary:
1). Quest of beggards
2). Pirate's Quest-line
3). A National Quest-line (any, random...).
After, perhaps, Willemstad is capturable.
If there are other quests where is necessary Willemstad Dutch (I do not remember... :shrug )

You cannot take any Nation's capitol city in the Caribbean.

MK

I took tortuga and port royal.

They are not the national capitols.

MK
Tortuga: France's capitol city.
Port Royal: England's capitol city
L'Havana: Spain's capitol city
Willemstadt: Dutch capitol city
I captured L'Havana and Port Royal.
I never tried with Tortuga and Willemstadt.

I stand corrected then. When I was first starting the game I asked the same question and one of the old modders at the time told me the Capitols were Bridgetown, Fort de France, Havana and Willemstadt. Historically these make much more sense. I had the same observation on the Governor Generals being in those cities but was told to put my money in the banks at those colonies and that it would never be lost because those colonies would never be taken by the NPC country AI. So that's what I've done and in dozens of hours of game play have never lost money in any of those banks. Probably just lucky then according to what you mates have dug up.

BTW has anyone noticed the bug where the governor of Tortuga is sitting on the governor general's lap?

MK

Attachments

• start-20110911-1519310.jpg
    start-20110911-1519310.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 82
...Frogs, you know... they are strange people with strange tastes. :d:..
Fortunately for you, here there are no French... xD:
I am Venetian.
Anyway, the frogs are exquisite: I like very much :doff :yes
When I was first starting the game I asked the same question and one of the old modders at the time told me the Capitols were Bridgetown, Fort de France, Havana and Willemstadt. ...
So must i remember old posts similar, two years ago... :yes
I think the confusion between AoP2 and AoP1 & mods various...
In AoP1 the capitol city is:
France: Guadalupe (sic! no Basse-Terre! )
England: Bridgetown
Holland: St. Martin
Spain: Santiago
In the mods, i no remember... :facepalm

Back