• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Governor Ship Hunting Quests: Reputation increase followed by immediate decrease

JackSwarrow

Sailor Apprentice
Hello, I've been playing the 3.4 build 14 mod on the Tales of a Sea Hawk. But ever time I complete a ship hunting quest, I'll get the following things:

Code:
reputation changed: 1
reputation changed -1

At the same time. Causing my rep to remain stuck between Bloke and Matey. Is this intended?

Well, If it IS intentional, then how are we supposed to increase our reputation with ship hunting quests since it Always rises to Matey then falls back to Bloke...

I guess you don't! Go do something else that does increase your reputation.

You can kill innocent citizens that have no weapon, that gives you only negative rep so that you are not stuck with Bloke anymore (g,d & r).

Well doing trade quests which is the only way to make a buck tradewise (unless you use Excel) with build 14's mostly not well working trade balance is a good way to build reputation. I'm Dashing right now as level 12 character.

Marked as confirmed bug. I don't think it is intentional since it makes no sense.

Although there is no net gain in reputation when you talk to the governor, pay close attention to the screen when you capture or sink the target ship. You get a nice reputation bonus then. You must have been a little way below the border between Bloke and Matey, the bonus from defeating the ship took you right to the border, then the +/- bonus while talking to the governor sent you to Matey and back. The next ship-hunting quest should fix you at Matey.

Likewise, I was Hero; during one of the missions for the "Hard labours of an assassin" side quest, I dropped to Dashing; a quick visit to a friendly governor and a ship-hunting quest restored me to Hero. Again, it was the bonus after capturing the target which did the job, the +/- reputation from the governor having no apparent net effect. (And it was an earlier ship-hunting quest which took me to Hero status in the first place.)

Capturing the ship for the extra bonus rep points does make sense, though shouldn't the quest giver kind of clarify to the player that the ship should be captured if possible so that the player is aware of specific the specific bonusses?

PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_common.c:
Code:
    case "kill_pirate_refused":
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1 = "Timer";
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.day = GetAddingDataDay(0, 0, 3);
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.month = GetAddingDataMonth(0, 0, 3);
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.year = GetAddingDataYear(0, 0, 3);
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition = "kill_pirate_refused_timer";
     break;

case "kill_pirate_refused_2":
       //Log_SetStringToLog("kill_pirate_refused_2");
       ChangeCharacterReputation(PChar, -1); //Add some reputation loss -Levis
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1 = "Timer";
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.day = GetAddingDataDay(0, 0, 3);
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.month = GetAddingDataMonth(0, 0, 3);
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition.l1.date.year = GetAddingDataYear(0, 0, 3);
       pchar.quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer.win_condition = "kill_pirate_refused_timer";
       DeleteQuestHeader("hunting");
       DeleteQuestAttribute("hunting");
     break;
Remove the ChangeCharacterReputation line in "kill_pirate_refused_2" OR move it to "kill_pirate_refused" instead.

For some idiotic reason, the "kill_pirate_refused_2" case is actually called only if you COMPLETE the quest and NOT if you refuse it.
Beats me whoever came up with those quest code names since it is confusing for sure. But that's the reason.

If I recall, @Grey Roger suggested that you shouldn't have a reputation loss for refusing such a quest anyway in general gameplay.
So for now I'll just remove the line altogether and consider this fixed.

Back