• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Gombo/Jocard problem

havoc1983

Cpt. Bruce Havoc
Storm Modder
I'm having trouble with the "A Free Slave" quest in Hoist the Colours. I chose Gombo's side and hired him as an officer. According to the wiki walkthrough you can either go to Bonaire and then to Eleuthera or go to Eleuthera first, then Bonaire and then back to Eleuthera again. I chose the latter. Everything went fine untill the point where you are to meet Nigel in the jungle of Bonaire. At this point I had 2 problems, the first: No one walked up to me to start a conversation. I figured this could be because I didn't have a slot for him in my gang. So I reloaded a savegame, removed an officer and tried again. This time a guy did walk up to me and started a conversation, but his name wasn't Nigel. It was Bos'un (that made me laugh btw
laugh.gif
). So I figured the quest probably changed a bit since the walkthrough was written and went on with my business after accepting him in my crew. Now the biggest problem: After going through the cave by the waterfall, the white Gentleman Jocard is supposed to walk up to me but that didn't happen. I reloaded a couple of times but no one is on the beach and there's no silver treasure in the shipwreck. Apparently Gombo is supposed to be with you at that point, but I didn't have him as an officer anymore.
dunno.gif

I tried executing the following lines through the console:
Code:
LAi_SetPlayerType(Pchar);
SetOfficersIndex(Pchar, 3, GetCharacterIndex("Gentleman Jocard")); // NK was -1
LAi_SetOfficerType(characterFromID("Gentleman Jocard"));
This gave me Gombo back so I added him to my gang and retried. Now Gent. J was there and I killed him. Gombo became the new Jocard and the treasure was there. Nigel was there too and I agreed on him joining me, but nothing happened. He's just standing there and I can't talk to him anymore. He's not in my officer list either. I ignored that part for the time being and agreed on Gombo/Jocard taking the ship and meeting him at sea. But guess what...
He's not there. Gombo is still listed as an officer but I can't talk to him. I'm running out of ideas here...
dunno.gif
I may have broken some stuff myself by executing those lines but that doesn't explain the first part of the problem.
Hopefully someone can help me out here. I'd prefer to start the whole quest over or revert to a point before going to Bonaire or Eleuthera.

Edit: Going through Gentleman Jocard_dialog.c I may have found a typo:
Code:
if (GetAttribute(pchar, "Bosun") == "Cursed")		// Bosun should be Bos'un, right?

{
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Bos'un")].name = "Nigel";
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Bos'un")].lastname = "the Slave";
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Bos'un")].model = "Ancient";
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Bos'un")].headmodel = "h_Ancient";
}

Is there anything in the error logs for your problems ?

On the Nigel - Bosun name thing.

I think the character is given a different name depending on what happened previously - as indicated by this bit of code

Code:
if (GetAttribute(pchar, "Bosun") == "Cursed")

I am not sure if this refers to when you do the Jocard side-quest ( before or after doing the Curse of the Black Pearl part of the Main Quest ) - or if it refers to what happened at the plantation in the Jocard quest ( if you talk to the slaves there you will get a surprise / be cursed )

Yeah I found that out aswell, but that makes it only more strange that I had both Bos'un and Nigel walking around there.
I don't have any log files in my game folder, are they stored somewhere else?

Please go here to enable compile, error, and system logs.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/14915-build-mod-and-forum-faq/page__view__findpost__p__352879

Bosun definitely shouldn't be spelled as Bos'un in that part of the code, but what IS the cause of your troubles, I do not know. :modding

Ah thanks HP! Haven't seen that thread before. But I'm afraid I can't try again right now as I really want to complete the storyline first. I've never ever completed a storyline in PotC, AoP and CoaS...
I do have an older savegame but it's from way before and I don't feel like playing through all that again. I'll do that later though.

Yeah Im also unsure what is wrong :facepalm

This was one quest I actually got to work for me well the first time through :yes

Back