• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved GLITCH: Weirdly floating wreck in Tortuga harbour

Mad Jack Wolfe

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Tortuga and weirdness go hand in hand, but this was a surprise even for me:
dHygmi7.png

You can see off to the left where part of a carriage is sticking out of the wall about five feet off the ground also. Has anyone else had this happen?

No, the wreck is in the right position.
It might be in the correct orientation, but this is the first time in all my years of playing that I've seen it suspended in mid-air on the opposite side of the harbour from where it's always been.

The glitch is persisting after exiting the game completely, restarting, and loading the save.

Last edited:
It might be in the correct orientation, but this is the first time in all my years of playing that I've seen it suspended in mid-air on the opposite side of the harbour from where it's always been.

The glitch is persisting after exiting the game completely, restarting, and loading the save.
I think it's time to delete that "options" file in the main game folder and re-configure your settings in the game's main menu as it will reset the settings to default.

Tortuga and weirdness go hand in hand, but this was a surprise even for me:
dHygmi7.png

You can see off to the left where part of a carriage is sticking out of the wall about five feet off the ground also. Has anyone else had this happen?
I can't see the carriage, or anything else - your picture didn't show up.

Can anyone else see the picture in that post?

Thanks, @The Nameless Pirate - I can see that one. :cheers There's also a cannon sticking out of the most distant building along the pier.

I've a vague memory of another graphics glitch at Tortuga some time ago. It wasn't anything like this; there was something big at the tavern. I don't remember what the object was or exactly what I was doing at the time; it may have been while I was playing "Hoist the Colours". It hasn't happened again since then.

If deleting "options" doesn't cure the problem then you'll probably have to live with it for the duration of this game. Tortuga should be back to normal in your next game.

Looks like I get to live with more than the usual Tortuga weirdness.
lU8sts7.png

After deleting the "options" file, I sailed to Grand Turk, picked up a new Master at Arms and named him after a recently departed best friend (that's the massive bloke on the right, named Molden), hit F11 a few times, then sailed back to Tortuga. I can neither confirm nor deny that a number of ships were plundered by someone who coincidentally resembles yours truly. Et voilà, the graphical glitches are still stubbornly there. I'll live with it until the time I start a new campaign.

That's quite odd!

If you start a new game and head to Tortuga, does it happen in there too?

Quick way to test this: start a new FreePlay game as Francis Drake. You start at Tortuga because England has no colonies in "Early Explorers". Once you've chosen the character, change the profile name so you don't wipe your existing game.

I started Jack Sparrow storyline. (starts in Tortuga)
I started Bartolomeu and teleported myself to Tortuga.
I have been a lot in Tortuga recently for WoodesRogers2.

It didn't happen in any of these cases.

Quick way to test this: start a new FreePlay game as Francis Drake. You start at Tortuga because England has no colonies in "Early Explorers". Once you've chosen the character, change the profile name so you don't wipe your existing game.
Still on 24th March 2020 version myself, but I did a quick check like that and the wreck is in the water for me...

Back