• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Friendly crewman under the cabin cell during boarding

Was exploiting the side step like I usually do, and noticed something odd. Title explains it all. Seems to happen only for this particular cabin.
upload_2020-12-4_17-29-23.png

By the looks of it, you're Charles Ardent, whether by storyline, FreePlay choice, or bought outfit. Your officer looks like Jean Lafitte, certainly by bought outfit. So the guy in red is presumably the enemy captain. What happened when you killed him? If the fight ended, that sailor below the deck isn't an enemy, in which case the only effect is that you have one fewer crewman helping you in the battle. If the fight didn't end when you killed the enemy captain then it's a serious problem.

What sort of ship were you sailing, and what were you boarding?

Could it be that there aren't enough "loc" or "aloc" locators in that location model?

By the looks of it, you're Charles Ardent, whether by storyline, FreePlay choice, or bought outfit. Your officer looks like Jean Lafitte, certainly by bought outfit. So the guy in red is presumably the enemy captain. What happened when you killed him? If the fight ended, that sailor below the deck isn't an enemy, in which case the only effect is that you have one fewer crewman helping you in the battle. If the fight didn't end when you killed the enemy captain then it's a serious problem.

What sort of ship were you sailing, and what were you boarding?
I am on Charles Ardent Storyline (An amazing job btw, big fan). The fight did end when I killed the enemy captain and I was able to proceed, so it isn't much game breaking. Sorry can't seem to remember which ship it was, I am pretty sure it was tier 7 sloop that I was boarding with a Topsail Schooner. This was not the first time I saw this, just finally got around to reporting it.

Could it be that there aren't enough "loc" or "aloc" locators in that location model?
It does look that way. This is the small cabin model, confirmed by @Edvinas681 saying that it was on a tier 7 sloop. Looking at the locator file for this model, it does not seem to have as many "loc" locators as other cabin models, which I believe are the ones for friendly combatants. So, if you board a ship with a small cabin and you're in something bigger, the game may try to generate a friendly crewman, and with no locator on which to put him, he ends up on position 0,0,0, which is below the level of the deck. The small cabin model also seems to have fewer "aloc" locators, though the chances of a small enemy ship having more crew than you by the time you get to the cabin are pretty remote, which is why no enemy crew spawn down there and prevent the battle from ending.

There was a similar problem with a jungle location near Bonaire Pirate Fort. If you tried to raid the pirate base, both you and a crewman would spawn somewhere midway between your officers and the enemy, floating in the air because 0,0,0 is above the ground in that location. This was fixed by adding some locators. If anyone ever reports a battle in a small cabin failing to end then I'll see about adding an extra "aloc" locator. Otherwise it does no harm to leave the friendly crewman out of the battle - this is a small cabin, we don't want to overcrowd it!

the game may try to generate a friendly crewman, and with no locator on which to put him, he ends up on position 0,0,0, which is below the level of the deck.
Thanks for confirming.
I marked this thread as "confirmed", but changed the title to indicate it is a friendly crewman; rather than an enemy one.

If anyone ever reports a battle in a small cabin failing to end then I'll see about adding an extra "aloc" locator. Otherwise it does no harm to leave the friendly crewman out of the battle - this is a small cabin, we don't want to overcrowd it!
Fair enough.

Perhaps the code should be changed then so the game doesn't try to generate that excessive crewman at all.
But oh well... might be more trouble than it's worth.

Back