• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

First impressions

con20or

Master Mariner
Hearts of Oak Donator
Alot of fun. I am playing stock only, still trying to get out of barbados. Not looking for any spoilers, but Im in quite a dilemma. i have to meet a guy for a duel outside the town and also attack some spanish arms dealer and get his weapons off him,. except if i am carryin any weapons the town watch take them off me. Im guessing i have to stash one somewhere and sneak past them in the evening?

Very absorbing story line and not even on a ship yet! Do the spanish and dutch characters get the same sort of storyline to start?

You mean personally? Making some progress; not there yet though. :shrug

Well, at least I'm back home after two months of not being to stay here. So that's an improvement.

a huge improvement - hospitals suck. i spent a week there once, it was almost unbearable.

Well, I hadn't been in an actual hospital for about two months. 't Was some sort of "care hotel". Wasn't too bad, really.
Not home though. And 120 km away is not nothing. :facepalm

Got the game working - have to say I loved the Peter Blood storyline, starting as a slave with no weapons or ship will really make me appreciate later upgrades :)

SPOILER

Duels/Sneaking is TOUGH - After 100 saves and reloads I just got through the port battle with the spanish, took their ship and am heading out to sea. Can't seem to shake the two spanish ships that are following me though.

I dont mind that, I can fight my way out, but the Spanish skins seems to be struggling at long range. Theyre the same without the telescope view. Kind of wrecks the immersion.

See attached.
ship_skin.png

This is a contant issue - as ships get closer, they clear up, but the sea is not fogged like this so i dont know what to do? ANyone else come across this?

That is how the stock game was made.

I think it was done to cover deficiencies in the engine.

The mod GOF manages to remove most of the "mist" .

:cheers

i have already started so too late to install that one :( Wanted to try stock first...

2 other questions

1. for some reason 'food' in my game is the contraband stock item (i think, its always out wherever i go). So it's very very hard to get. Usually only five in each shop. So every voyage is a deperate dash to get to the next island in the hopes they have more....for long voyages i have no choice but to sack half my crew.

2. How do i know what ship class im at the right level for? Im level 2, i captured a sloop and took it.

1 - Food should not be contraband everywhere. On the F2 - Trade screen - Export goods have Green arrow - Import Goods have Blue Arrow - Contraband has Red Cross -- some settlements can have very low quantities.:shrug

2 - The level of ship you can sail successfully is determined by your Navigation skill -- On F2 - Character screen - right click on Navigation in the Ship Skills section (bottom right of screen ) this shows you the Navigation skill you ( or your Navigator ) need for each class of ship. This skill for your officers also affects how well they sail their ships if you assign them as captains.

:drunk

If you take a ship than it's class is higher than you can manage, you will be see your stats having malus on them.
Try to moor this ship (if you have enough money) in a shipyard (like Tortuga, Jamaïca or Curaçao (Willemstad)) to secure it until you can sail on it without malus.

Do not, if you lose your ships on the others island if they'd be attacked by another country. So, i moor my ships only on General Gouvenor Island... :)

2. How do i know what ship class im at the right level for? Im level 2, i captured a sloop and took it.

Quote from the manual:

"...for effective control, each ship class requires a certain minimum level Navigational Skill:

Class 1 requires 95
Class 2 requires 80
Class 3 requires 65
Class 4 requires 40
Class 5 requires 25
Class 6 requires just 1"

That is how the stock game was made. I think it was done to cover deficiencies in the engine. The mod GOF manages to remove most of the "mist".

It's very annoying indeed! Is there a way to remove or reduce it without installing gof?
I had a look at the weather files but didn't know what to modify. :unsure

I don't think ENB changes the fog effects one way or another. It adds a slight "glow" effect, so if anything I'd expect it to get a little worse. :facepalm

Im already into the career - its a shame, because it kind of wrecks the sea battles.

Back