• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Favourite Rums

I recently won two bottles of Blackwell Jamaican Rum in an online prize competition.

Have tasted a little bit, but I don't have much of an opinion because I prefer gin anyway. #TerriblePirate

I recently won two bottles of Blackwell Jamaican Rum in an online prize competition.
Competition?
That sounds fun!
Story, please!!

Have tasted a little bit, but I don't have much of an opinion because I prefer gin anyway. #TerriblePirate
:rofl :rofl

Honestly, as terrible pirates go, I'd put you preeeetty close to the bottom of the list.
If ye be gettin' me meaning! :wp

Competition?
That sounds fun!
Story, please!!
Actually not. I mean the kind of competition where you comment and in the end, someone is picked to receive the prize. Perhaps competition was the wrong term. Giveaway? Raffle? Kansspel?

It was on a James Bond forum since Blackwell has ties to the Bond brand, owning the Jamaican estate of Fleming and having released a 007 limited edition of his rum.

The story would be that Blackwell doesn't deliver to Switzerland, and the austrian forum administrator hadn't thought about that even though the forum and thus the competition / giveaway / raffle / kansspel are for Germany, Austria and Switzerland. So in the end it took months for the bottles o' rum to make a detour via the administrator in Vienna and I had to pay custom duties...

Honestly, as terrible pirates go, I'd put you preeeetty close to the bottom of the list.
If ye be gettin' me meaning! :wp
Sure...

And yesterday I drank dutch gin for the first time by the way (Bobby's Schiedam Dry).

If you like Scotch whisky and you like rum then you're going to love this:
whisky.jpg

Glenlivet single malt, matured in rum barrels.

I've been happily drinking it and intend to go on doing so...

It was on a James Bond forum since Blackwell has ties to the Bond brand, owning the Jamaican estate of Fleming and having released a 007 limited edition of his rum.
STILL a good story!
Doubly so for the Bond link.
But what he's shaking his rum for, I'll probably never know. ;)

If you like Scotch whisky and you like rum then you're going to love this:

Glenlivet single malt, matured in rum barrels.
Halfway between rum and whiskey?
Ah, if only I could convince me daddy-o...

In the meantime, I got another three bottles:
20210816_181139.jpg

Got them to go with the Pirates Experience .
Thought they would be small like the one I already had.
Apparently not so! :shock

Cuba Libre is my drink of choice a lot of the time.
I can't handle pure rum, feel free to judge me.
I like Montilla. Cheap and the bottle has a pirate!
1xg.jpg

I can't handle pure rum, feel free to judge me.
Add some water. It's still a perfectly acceptable maritime drink. You can also add lime or lemon juice if you like. What you're then making is grog. Here's the Wikipedia article:
Grog - Wikipedia

Some of the tavernkeepers in the game recommend adding a pinch of gunpowder. There's no mention of this in the Wikipedia article, but if you can legally get your hands on the powder, you could try making your grog conform to the game recipe rather than the Royal Navy recipe.

Speaking of naval rum, my own preferred brand is Lambs Navy Rum. It's readily available in supermarkets, sometimes on special offer, and I really do prefer the taste to some of the more expensive brands.

If you prefer a spiced navy-style rum, Kraken black spiced rum has become my favourite. It's surprisingly rich and smooth, and tastes a million times better than that horrid cough syrup called Captain Morgan.

A fifth of Kraken usually can be had for just under US$20.

Add some water. It's still a perfectly acceptable maritime drink. You can also add lime or lemon juice if you like. What you're then making is grog. Here's the Wikipedia article:
Grog - Wikipedia

Some of the tavernkeepers in the game recommend adding a pinch of gunpowder. There's no mention of this in the Wikipedia article, but if you can legally get your hands on the powder, you could try making your grog conform to the game recipe rather than the Royal Navy recipe.

Speaking of naval rum, my own preferred brand is Lambs Navy Rum. It's readily available in supermarkets, sometimes on special offer, and I really do prefer the taste to some of the more expensive brands.
Yeah I've read about grog. It's pretty interesting! From what I gather, on ships they added rum to the water so as they could "clean" it. And apparently the lemon juice addition was usually for the navy.
But the custom of adding gunpowder to alcohol actually predates Blackbeard by around 100 years.
I found an pretty interesting article about this. It feels like some kind of legend!
If you prefer a spiced navy-style rum, Kraken black spiced rum has become my favourite. It's surprisingly rich and smooth, and tastes a million times better than that horrid cough syrup called Captain Morgan.

A fifth of Kraken usually can be had for just under US$20.
Aye, I've heard about the Kraken from a friend of mine who is a bartender! But I live on Brazil, and this bottle is well over 5 times that price... I will buy it, but only on a real special occasion!

Very interesting! I don't know where I can get Smoke & Oakum rum, but I do know where I can get an explosives licence... However, according to that article, the reason for adding gunpowder was to then set light to the mixture. If it didn't flare up then the so-called rum wasn't alcoholic enough, which meant you'd next set light to the captain. Grog, by its definition, is watered down, so wouldn't flare up, and anyway I imagine Simon Hanpool wouldn't take kindly to you putting a match to a mixture of your gunpowder and his rum!

However, a word of warning from Smoke & Oakum:
PLEASE NOTE: the gunpowder used in S.& O.’s Gunpowder Rum is of a very specific and uncommon variety.

Modern ‘fast gunpowder’ (as found in modern weapons and fireworks) is inorganic, toxic, and should never be consumed.
Oh well, I won't be needing the explosives licence after all.

definitely my ranking is:

1. Centennial diplomat
2. Zacapa limited edition

yours that you mentioned above I haven't had the good fortune to try them yet ..

intanto un goccio di questo non è male Rum di 7 anni invecchiato in botti di Rovere..prevenienza Martinica

Attachments

• IMG20220819222056.jpg
    IMG20220819222056.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
Back