• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Everyone, Change Places!

Keith

Raping the Horses and Stealing the Women!
Staff member
Administrator
OK, time for a movement of the furniture again..................

I'll be updating the forum soon and I think I might go back to having the news section part of the forum instead of a separate site. I've always wanted to do it this way but the applications from IPB were never really up to it.

Having a look at the latest version of their blog it might have come along a fair way.

Also, in light of today's services such as dropbox, skydrive, the new google drive there is little purpose now for the FTP and files section.

All the normal files I'll place onto my dropbox and continue to allow everyone to download but I will most likely shut down the pyratesahoy.com ftp in the near future (clear warning :blink: )

I think that about covers it :onya

This is interesting. What happened, did my dealer spike my drugs?

About the FTP. Are the files there going to be moved by you or should we take care of them ourselves?

I'm going to try and move them, but I think it's best that people look after their own files (just in case I screw things up....which is more than possible)

OK, skin changed :) And I think most problems solved.

You may have an issue with your avatar's for that you will need to reupload them

Editor seems to be working now, thanks Keith!

I think you just like changing things on me when I finally start to get them figured out! :shock :shock (hmmm ...looks like the emoticons need some work!)

I really liked having the news attached to the forums, it was a lot easier for people to post comments like that.

I hate to see the FTP go, but I can sure understand why.

I think there are a few more skeletons in the closet, Pieter is going to kill me for this but I think I broke the bug tracker............

Also, will need a new PA! logo because I deleted that......along with the emoticons...

The skin was not working so I deleted the directory to do it all fresh again, I guess that's where those files lived :(

Also, Thag, do you remember if you were able to use a wysiwyg text editor in the blog last time?

Ok, finally back on, thanks again mate!

At least Pieter is still at sea at the moment, so you have some time to prepare for his wrath ..lol

I noticed the blogs list was back, and yes I believe the wywiwg editor did work with the blogs just fine.

Apparently there is a newer version of the tracker.

I also just deleted all the old blogs, I'm not having a good day...........

Yeah that's it ...tell him you upgraded! :D

About the blogs... Doh! Ah well, progress always comes at a cost mate. I have a few of mine still that I saved as I wrote them, nothing really worth reposting though.

Woah, this is new! I do like the new layout, but it will take some getting used to. I'm glad to see faster performance, too!
It's not going to take Pieter very long to notice this... xD:

Regarding the FTP changeover, how will that affect all the various download links?
And how will things work with the Dropbox service?

Regarding the FTP changeover, how will that affect all the various download links?
And how will things work with the Dropbox service?

Yeah it would e great if this could be made more clear, is the Dropbox currently up and running in addition to the FTP? I had planned to make a thread in the next few days for ship plans, and about a third to half of them were going to be uploaded to the FTP from my computer, because they arent available online. the thing that was nice about the FTP, at least for plans, was that when you clicked on the link you were taken to the web adress and could view the pics online. with dropbox will one have to download each one individually to their own computer before viewing them? because if they can't be viewed online I'll use flickr or something, but it would be nice to know so I make the thread.

Well regarding the dropbox the download link now heads to my public dropbox account.

I'm not sure if you're used to it but dropbox adds a folder to your computer so all you need to do is add a file to it and it does all the uploading itself. The bonus of this is if you make your public link known (ie in the mod thread) people just check your dropbox link for the latest version and since it's all on your own computer you can organise it to show revisions and such.

The only drawback is that you cannot have file information so the files need to be explanatory or possibly get away with a readme file or something.

So it's like a private FTP available to the public.

If anyone needs to sign up, please let me know your email so I can get a referral out of it (I get an extra 500meg per referral up to 5gig storage, you get 2.6 to start off with)

It's possible skydrive or google files may be better suited but I'll play with them later :)

It's also possible to add a submenu link for the downloads which can lead elsewhere,

ie. PA! Downloads
-Other persons mod download page
-NH mod download page

Also need to redo rank pictures :(, man I messed up....

I like the new layout, but expect pieter to be pissed about the bug tracker and the fact that the build mod isn't on dropbox right now, LOL

I like it too! I think an update was needed. It'll take some time to get used to it, but I think this is a good change.

The bug tracker at least has not been deleted...yet, just the old version does not work. There's still more time for me to screw that up completely however.

I'm downloading the ftp now and will transfer it to the Dropbox for everyone to grab their stuff from (currently the potc one)

It's possible skydrive or google files may be better suited but I'll play with them later :)
Funny you should mention SkyDrive. I've occasionally been using it for college work, since we were given Windows Live accounts for e-mails at the start of the year. I've found it to be fairly easy to use, and especially useful for Word/Excel files etc which can be edited in a browser app.

I set it up earlier using my personal Live account, after looking at comparisons with other services like Google Drive and Dropbox.
It provides the best free storage capacity (7GB versus Dropbox's 2GB and Google's 5GB), and you can also download a desktop app for your PC, which creates a folder that automatically synchronises with the cloud, same as Dropbox. It also allows file descriptions, and you have complete control over what others can see and download.

I'll probably use it to upload my mod work once the FTP is offline, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a Live account or doesn't mind making one.

I'm likeing these bigger fonts. I used to purposely double space my comments to make them easier to read. That is no longer necessary.

About Dropbox: I had never heard of it before and know nothing about how it works. And now there is Google and SkyDrive? I feel like Dork the caveman.

I hadn't heard of it either until Keith mentioned it. The cloud services are taking over!
You can see how Dropbox looks by clicking the 'Downloads' tab at the top of this page.
It seems all the content of the POTC Files FTP has been uploaded there, now.

To upload your own files, it looks like you need to make a free account, same as if you made a Windows Live account for SkyDrive.
I don't know how it works from there on, but I'm sure Keith can explain it.

By way of comparison, here's a link to my SkyDrive public folder I've just set up: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=F6B0C45B54136716&id=F6B0C45B54136716!130
There's currently nothing in it except an empty folder, but it's easy to download files from there, and just as easy to upload them.

Managed to save some of the emotes back, most are lost to the void :(

I still needs to get the ranks back. I might just get some placeholders to begin with.

The Dropbox is uploading the fullt POTC ftp as a backup and will also have the latest version of the build on it. It will probably take a day or 2 to finish as it's about 3 gig worths.

Does anyone use the AOP ftp still?.

Yarr! :dance Fred Bob be a bit a perplexid 'ere, but he be a figurin' it all out agin! :facepalm

Back