• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Enlisting: Music, Voice acting, Writing, &c

LikeAnEagle

Midshipman
Creative Support
Music and SFX
Quest Writer
Ahoy, there! Allow me to introduce myself; I'm LikeAnEagle, or Eagle for short (LikeAn is a bit absurd, one would think). I stumbled upon the Hearts of Oak project while searching the web for Age of Sail games, and found myself entirely too eager to see it released. I've lurked about a bit, but only registered for the forum mere moments ago when I decided to drop in an application to help.

[Music and SFX] - I've done some minor work on Steinberg Nuendo, mostly to improvise the illusion of an orchestra where none is available to play live. Armed with a soundcard and a rather decent microphone, I can also offer some voice acting; I'd describe my voice as deepish female (contralto), though I can't sing.

[Creative Support] and/or [Quest Writing] - I've dabbled in writing since I was a wee lass, and one of my works-in-progress include a ChoiceScript-empowered futuristic AoSish interactive fiction, which involves little bits of coding. I can try my hand at dialogue, storyline ideas, flavour text where necessary, &c. I am also reasonably familiar with Victorian literature, to the extent that I shan't write anything anachronistic in linguistics and such.

[Programming] - This is my weakest application of the three, being still a metaphorical seasick midshipman when it comes to the world of programming and coding, but I am willing to learn. I doubt if my computer can handle extensive 3D work or suchlike, but programming may still be within reach. Of course, my being a rookie will mean I'd likely take some time to crash course, but I daresay I'm a tolerably quick study.

Those are my applications. Being a student, part-time work on the game is all I can offer, but I will try my best in whatever hand I am dealt, if enlisted into the Hearts of Oak fleet. Cheers, mates!

Ahoy, there! Allow me to introduce myself; I'm LikeAnEagle, or Eagle for short (LikeAn is a bit absurd, one would think). I stumbled upon the Hearts of Oak project while searching the web for Age of Sail games, and found myself entirely too eager to see it released. I've lurked about a bit, but only registered for the forum mere moments ago when I decided to drop in an application to help.

[Music and SFX] - I've done some minor work on Steinberg Nuendo, mostly to improvise the illusion of an orchestra where none is available to play live. Armed with a soundcard and a rather decent microphone, I can also offer some voice acting; I'd describe my voice as deepish female (contralto), though I can't sing.

[Creative Support] and/or [Quest Writing] - I've dabbled in writing since I was a wee lass, and one of my works-in-progress include a ChoiceScript-empowered futuristic AoSish interactive fiction, which involves little bits of coding. I can try my hand at dialogue, storyline ideas, flavour text where necessary, &c. I am also reasonably familiar with Victorian literature, to the extent that I shan't write anything anachronistic in linguistics and such.

[Programming] - This is my weakest application of the three, being still a metaphorical seasick midshipman when it comes to the world of programming and coding, but I am willing to learn. I doubt if my computer can handle extensive 3D work or suchlike, but programming may still be within reach. Of course, my being a rookie will mean I'd likely take some time to crash course, but I daresay I'm a tolerably quick study.

Those are my applications. Being a student, part-time work on the game is all I can offer, but I will try my best in whatever hand I am dealt, if enlisted into the Hearts of Oak fleet. Cheers, mates!
hey eagle.
Just saying hello and welcome to PiratesAhoy!

Best,
Luffy

hey eagle.
Just saying hello and welcome to PiratesAhoy!

Best,
Luffy

Greetings, mate! Definitely looking forward to watching the game developing from the forums (and maybe join in, if my application is accepted, aheheh). Thanks for the welcome!

how good is your voice acting?

Probably fair. Don't exactly have much experience, but I can learn accents quick enough should it be necessary, and I know the basics. Should a sample be wanted, maybe I can try record a monologue or the like?

We won't get to the point of doing voice acting any time soon anyway. Still trying to work out how to best get the game engine working.
Armada can explain things better though; I'm sure he'll be replying here soon. :doff

We won't get to the point of doing voice acting any time soon anyway. Still trying to work out how to best get the game engine working.
Armada can explain things better though; I'm sure he'll be replying here soon. :doff

I understand; just putting in my papers for future consideration, metaphorically speaking. And as mentioned above, I'm willing to try other stuff, too.

Ahoy and welcome! :ahoy

We'd be happy to have you on the team. Of all the areas you mentioned, I'd say Music and Creative Support would be most relevant at this stage.
Brainstorming various ideas for the game is probably most important, and any help with producing original music for the game would be appreciated.
Asking you to help with coding at this stage would be unfair, as we're still working out how best to use the engine at the moment.

Does that sound good to you?
If you're interested, you might want to check out the Ideas and Brainstorming forum to join in some discussions.
And be sure to take a look at the main theme we have in production, to get a feel for the kinds of music we're after.

Ahoy and welcome! :ahoy

We'd be happy to have you on the team. Of all the areas you mentioned, I'd say Music and Creative Support would be most relevant at this stage.
Brainstorming various ideas for the game is probably most important, and any help with producing original music for the game would be appreciated.
Asking you to help with coding at this stage would be unfair, as we're still working out how best to use the engine at the moment.

Does that sound good to you?
If you're interested, you might want to check out the Ideas and Brainstorming forum to join in some discussions.
And be sure to take a look at the main theme we have in production, to get a feel for the kinds of music we're after.

Aye aye, sir. Thanks for the welcome; glad to be of some service to HoO, even though I may not have that much to offer. Will check up on the stuff you mentioned as soon as I've the computer to myself (currently on mobile phone, which sometimes gets temperamental with forums).

Welcome aboard , we definatley needed more voice actors and despite what is commonly thought, its deeply difficult to get a good range of voice samples together for a game , to be honest things have gone too slowly around here (though to be honest im awaiting the release of makehuman 8 before I start pumping out human models ), If you PreRecord samples of voice acting or have some quest ideas happening that will merely push forward our release dates that much the better ... not to say your guaranteed to get them in game ( of course I believe its highly likely that your voice will due to the fact we have a drastic gap in female voice acting cast)

Welcome aboard , we definatley needed more voice actors and despite what is commonly thought, its deeply difficult to get a good range of voice samples together for a game , to be honest things have gone too slowly around here (though to be honest im awaiting the release of makehuman 8 before I start pumping out human models ), If you PreRecord samples of voice acting or have some quest ideas happening that will merely push forward our release dates that much the better ... not to say your guaranteed to get them in game ( of course I believe its highly likely that your voice will due to the fact we have a drastic gap in female voice acting cast)

Greetings, and thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm aware that my ideas/offers may not make it at all into the finished game, but as long as I have something to metaphorically wrap in nice paper and send for contributions, whyever not.

Also, I tried to follow the link Armada posted above, to the Hearts of Oak theme, and received a message saying "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.". However, I managed to open the link in the end... while logged out. Peculiar. Out of curiosity, why would that happen?

Also, I tried to follow the link Armada posted above, to the Hearts of Oak theme, and received a message saying "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.". However, I managed to open the link in the end... while logged out. Peculiar. Out of curiosity, why would that happen?
Turns out there was a mistake in the permissions for registered users, which I've fixed now. Thanks for catching that!
Anyway, I've added you to the Creative Support and Music and SFX groups. :doff

Turns out there was a mistake in the permissions for registered users, which I've fixed now. Thanks for catching that!
Anyway, I've added you to the Creative Support and Music and SFX groups. :doff

Ah, very good; thank you. Also nicely coincidental that I get two blue ribbons, which at least make for a uniform appearance, haha.

The Music and SFX ribbon is actually supposed to be purple, but since our recent forum upgrade we've had to resort to 'default' styles until we get the correct ones sorted out again. :wp

The Music and SFX ribbon is actually supposed to be purple, but since our recent forum upgrade we've had to resort to 'default' styles until we get the correct ones sorted out again. :wp

Ah, I see. Yes, I did read about the upgrade, although I believe that happened just before I registered.

Well I look forward to hear music from you. Always interested in it because it's also a major part of the game.

Well I look forward to hear music from you. Always interested in it because it's also a major part of the game.

Thank you; I look forward to commence working on it, too. Still gathering my bearings currently, but can't wait to start proper.

Back