• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

EIC texture modding

Inzane

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
The one thing I was not to happy about were the textures. they just looked wrong. I also hate how they are random, So you never know what textures you going to get :shrug , currently trying to fix that. I have been retexturing some of the models. So this is the Schooner,went with the classic Brit colors. Still playing around with it. :onya

Attachments

• shot_4_9_2009__4_06_49_A.jpg
    shot_4_9_2009__4_06_49_A.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 131
Looks nice! :onya

Is it just me or is there something really weird with the water on all the screenshots of EITC?
It just doesn't ook the way real ocean water looks at all. :wacko:

That isnt mod able, you can change textures

Being modable is being able to change EVERYTHING! :D

man its not easy finding what texture goes to what. :modding but so far so good, :onya

Attachments

• shot_4_9_2009__13_31_38_A.jpg
    shot_4_9_2009__13_31_38_A.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 132
  • shot_4_9_2009__13_24_14_A.jpg
    shot_4_9_2009__13_24_14_A.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 117
Just out of the curiosity, what is the format of the textures? I'm guessing it's .dds, right?

Just out of the curiosity, what is the format of the textures? I'm guessing it's .dds, right?
yep DDS, Now I started on the frigates,So far so good, I do have to find the control file for the textures. So I can make changes without effecting other ships.

Attachments

• shot_5_9_2009__21_36_30_A.jpg
    shot_5_9_2009__21_36_30_A.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 121
  • shot_5_9_2009__21_40_57_A.jpg
    shot_5_9_2009__21_40_57_A.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 135
The ship looks very good, but WHAT is up with those sails??? :shock
Tthe sails look like crumpled up newspaper. that is one of the things I hope they fix. I think I can smooth them out by creating a proper normal map. I have tweeked the engine alot. Increase the lod range, fixed shadows, btw those are still broken in the release version. there are alot of funtions turned off for some reason or they have been degraded. the current textures are 512x512. There are textures hiddden that are 1280 and higher. I wonder why they degraded it so. I truly have no problem running it with the details jacked up. this game has great potential. While digging around I found out what 3d engine it is. Storm 3d. I wonder if its the same engine we been working with all these years. ;)

But... but... on that second picture, the jibs are pointing to PORT. What are they attached to? :wacko:

Looks nice! :onya

Is it just me or is there something really weird with the water on all the screenshots of EITC?
It just doesn't ook the way real ocean water looks at all. :wacko:

Peter, I agree with you about the ocean. After playing the demo and the beta before, the water appears to be multi-layered. The top layer looks like it is for reflection and bottom layer for color. From a distance it looks Ok. But when you look down like right next to a ship it is much too translucent. Giving the ships the appearance of floating above the water rather than in it.

I also think their waves are two high for the give lower wind speeds and wave frequency is much too fast. I have not gotten a chance to try the patched demo but the ships used to bob horribly. They were also outrageously slow and un-maneuverable making 3D combat almost unplayable.

Most of the ship movement and wave action issues were pointed out in the Beta phase but I think the developers were more worried about stability issues than playability. Judging by the speed of the patch releases they may have been working on tweaking playability during the interim.

Just my two cents.

Greg.

Back