• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Editing Wind speed / dismast mod

Lrv

Sailor Apprentice
Hey there, one more time!

Since I'm playing Iron man, once I switch to bigger (slower) ships it starts being a little tiring (not mutch pleasure to play at 20x) traveling long distances, and I prefer not editing the ships speed, but could I edit the wind, to make it lets say 20% stronger in general?

Second point, is there a "enable/disable" or something to edit/tweak for disabling the dismast mod? (the good part its really good, but I can't stand the glitch anymore since all I do is naval combat, and its happening pretty much every time) (I noticed that it happens in some ships more than others, sadly the ones I use get glitched constantly)

*I have been reading the discussion about "More direct-sail encounters" how did that end? its already implemented on the current mod? (honestly, I dont remember sailing in to a battle)

Big ships aren't much fun to play anyway. They're not only slower in a straight line, they're also much slower in a turn. The only time I use them is if I'm going after something even slower, i.e. a fort. You could have a look at this, though:
Sailing speed is almost 0. Ironman mode
Be sure to make copies of all files that are replaced by the zip in post #17. Especially "InternalSettings.h". You'll need to edit a current version of "InternalSettings.h" to add the extra lines as it contains some more variables which didn't exist at that time, so just copying that version of "InternalSettings.h" into place will break the game.

I don't think there's a specific switch for the dismast mod. You could try changing the following lines in "InternalSettings.h":
Code:
#define GCMASTCRIT               20.0   //float 0-100 - % of mast crit

#define CMASTCRIT               15.0   // float 0-100 - % of mast crit

#define MASTCRIT               8.0       //float 0-100 - % of mast crit
Those are the percentage chances of knocking down a mast depending on whether it was hit by a bronze chaser, a regular chaser or any other cannon. Masts still might be knocked down by sufficient damage without critical hits, or by sailing too close to a cliff, but changing all those to 0 should certainly reduce the chances of masts going down.

I was never convinced that "More direct-sail encounters" worked properly in general, let alone with lower spec PC's that might already be borderline due to the increased load from the "improved" levelling system. Besides, if you're playing Iron Man, you don't want things to be made easier by a friendly fleet doing most of your work for you. :p If you want to try it, you're welcome to try downloading or editing files according to that thread. Again, be sure to make copies of anything you edit or replace, so that if it doesn't work, you can put things back to normal.

Reactions: Lrv

Thank you Sir!

I'm going to try pasting this for now without doing any changes. Is the current mod set at min 2.0 max 18 ? or are those notes talking about the vanilla game?

#define WIND_INCREASE -1.0 // FLOAT - -1.0 - increase wind speed by this amount, 0.0 is default game
// Valid values 0.0 to 10.0, and -1.0
// Recommended value = 10.0 or 5.0 if ships are too fast
// If this number is set to -1.0, the following values will be used instead
// NOTE: Setting more than 16 knots difference between low and high
// is allowed, but may produce undesired results at wind extremes
#define LOWEST_WIND 12.0 // FLOAT - 12.0 - the lowest wind speed you will see (default game 2.0)
// Valid values 2.0 to 26.0
// Recommended value 12.0
#define HIGHEST_WIND 23.0 // FLOAT - 23.0 - the highest wind speed you will see (default game 18.0)
// Valid values 4.0 to 28.0
// Recommended value 23.0

Be sure to make copies of all files that are replaced by the zip in post #17. Especially "InternalSettings.h". You'll need to edit a current version of "InternalSettings.h" to add the extra lines as it contains some more variables which didn't exist at that time, so just copying that version of "InternalSettings.h" into place will break the game.

Yep! got a folder with half of the game as SAFE files, just in case x'D thanks for warning about internalsettings tho

I've changed those Mast stats to 0, lets see how it goes, thanks!

I was never convinced that "More direct-sail encounters" worked properly in general, let alone with lower spec PC's that might already be borderline due to the increased load from the "improved" levelling system. Besides, if you're playing Iron Man, you don't want things to be made easier by a friendly fleet doing most of your work for you. :p If you want to try it, you're welcome to try downloading or editing files according to that thread. Again, be sure to make copies of anything you edit or replace, so that if it doesn't work, you can put things back to normal.

Well I don't really care about encountering big fleets, but seeing a pirate trying to capture a ship (encountering 2 ships, 1 being pirate, or from an enemy nation) would give more variety for direct sail, with a low % maybe, so its not something that you can exploit as you said

Had a go at this myself - initially with great success, after adding the following to internalsettings.h:
Code:
#define     WIND_INCREASE                -1.0    // FLOAT - -1.0 - increase wind speed by this amount, 0.0 is default game
                                    //    Valid values 0.0 to 10.0, and -1.0
                                    //    Recommended value = 10.0 or 5.0 if ships are too fast
                                    //    If this number is set to -1.0, the following values will be used instead
                                    //  NOTE: Setting more than 16 knots difference between low and high
                                    //   is allowed, but may produce undesired results at wind extremes
#define     LOWEST_WIND                    15.0    //  FLOAT - 12.0 - the lowest wind speed you will see (default game 2.0)
                                    //    Valid values 2.0 to 26.0
                                    //    Recommended value 12.0
#define     HIGHEST_WIND                    26.0    // FLOAT - 23.0 - the highest wind speed you will see (default game 18.0)
                                    //    Valid values 4.0 to 28.0
                                    //    Recommended value 23.0

and the following to WhrWeather.c:
Code:
//// LDH 05Feb17 calculate weatherspeed with wind speed increase
float GetWeatherSpeed()
{
    float fWindIncrease, fLoWind, fHiWind, fTemp;
    fWindIncrease = fclamp(-1.0, 10.0, WIND_INCREASE);
    if (fWindIncrease >= 0.0)
    {
        return stf(Weather.Wind.Speed) + fWindIncrease;
    }
    else
    {
        fLoWind = fclamp(2.0, 26.0, LOWEST_WIND);
        fHiWind = fclamp(4.0, 28.0, HIGHEST_WIND);
        if (fLoWind > fHiWind)
        {
            fTemp = fLoWind;
            fLoWind = fHiWind;
            fHiWind = fTemp;
        }
        if (fLoWind+2.0 > fHiWind) fHiWind = fLoWind + 2.0;
        return Bring2Range(fLoWind, fHiWind, 2.0, 18.0, stf(Weather.Wind.Speed));
    }
}

For the first play session after doing this I never saw wind speed drop below the high teens and it tended to stick around the low twenties, perfect for directsail - tacking requires thought and isn't ideal, but isn't a complete waste of time either, and with the wind at your back you can really fly. However after booting the game up today the wind is sticking stubbornly between 8 and 16, so can anyone see where I've gone wrong?

Reactions: Lrv
My suggestion: put some LogIt or Trace statements in there.
That's what I do when I want to see what's actually happening with the numbers.

Thanks for the reply!

So my update is it still seems to be *mostly* working and since this is just a wee tweak for my own preferences I'm not overly inclined to bugfix. I booted the game up last night, the wind speeds remained stubbornly <10, 'til I went on deck and skipped forward 3 hours in conversation with a crewman. When I returned to the sea the wind was >20 and remained that way the rest of my play session as I noodled around between 4 or 5 islands. It later came crashing down almost immediately after raising the British flag and triggering Oiseau to turn hostile, so I suspect if anything is messing up the numbers it's to do with scripted events. The why isn't all that important so long as I know how to fix it - just skip forward in time on deck and everything goes back into the specified range. Happy days.

If I run into further problems I'll definitely try to log what's going on, that's a good suggestion that hadn't occurred to me. Cheers!

I suspect if anything is messing up the numbers it's to do with scripted events.
Curious; I'm not aware of many scripted weather changes at all.
I can think of only one main one in the Standard Storyline to help your escape with a stolen frigate from a hostile port more possible.

I know how to fix it - just skip forward in time on deck and everything goes back into the specified range. Happy days.
Fair enough. :onya

Back