• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Editing problems

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
I've recently noticed that, when editing a post using the full editor, I can't seem to submit it, because I get a board message saying that my 'Secure key has expired'. :modding
I am also signed out at that point. However, the basic editor works fine (the first one that pops up after clicking 'Edit'), but that's no good for changing attachments or posted images, like the full one is.

It's really been annoying me lately, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it. :?

:yes

I have noticed this as well.

Once I log back in again it seems to work ok. & I can use the full editor

Perhaps it is some security thing. requiring ID conformation. :shrug

Does this only happen just when you are editing posts, but works fine when you post a normal message? Just out of curiosity, what browsers are you mates using?

When posting a message for the first time, it works as normal. It's only going back and editing that post which causes problems.

I use Firefox 4, which generally works well with this site. It's better than IE9, which has all sorts of issues with the forum. :facepalm

Yeah, this forum doesn't like IE at all, Firefox usually works flawlessly though. It may have something to do with one of the addons you have installed, especially ones that block cookies or scripts, I have seen those types of issues before. I have Firefox 4 as well, I'll do some playing and see if I can replicate the error you are having.

**EDIT**

I have tried with a couple of my previous posts including this one, both using the full editor and the quick one and I am not able to recreate the issue you two are having. I attached an old text file of one of my old blogs to this post and there doesn't seem to have been any issues. Could you both list some of the addons you are using please? That may help narrow it down.

**EDIT #2**

Removed attachment!

Using IE8

No special addons just Norton Security ( been using that for ages without problems )

Talisman, in your case, it may be something in your IE Privacy or Security settings. Try setting both to Medium if they are not already there and see if that has any effect. I am really not that familiar with IE, I haven't used it for years.

I am not 100% sure, but in both cases, I would bet money this problem has something to do with session cookies. In Firefox Armada, you can change your cookie setting by going to Tools, Options and clicking on the Privacy tab. This web site has a pretty good explanation of what everything does. http://www.ghacks.ne...ut-select-ones/

Talisman, this this is a simple explanation for IE cookies :

Viewing cookies

From the Tools menu, or the Tools drop-down at the upper right, select Internet Options.

Under "Browsing History", click Settings.

Click View Objects or View Files.

Changing cookie settings

From the Tools menu, or the Tools drop-down at the upper right, select Internet Options.

Click the Privacy tab.

Click Advanced.

To override the automatic cookie settings, click Override automatic cookie handling, and then make your selections from the radio buttons below.

Click OK to close each of the open dialog boxes.

I hope that helps, if it doesn't, let me know and I will keep trying to track it down!

**EDIT**
I edited this post with the rich text editor and also attached a file, seemed to work without a problem for me. :shrug

**EDIT #2**
I have edited this post with Surf Canyon installed and even changed the attachment, seems to be no problems at all. :shrug

Attachments

• Moden_Day_piracy_Blog.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 145
I've had less success, unfortunately. I reconfigured the cookies settings as per the post above, and put PiratesAhoy on the exceptions list.
I still can't successfully use the full editor, and now there's another problem. It seems I'm always flagged as 'online', even after signing out.
The odd thing is, when I look at my profile after signing out, it says "Currently: Not online", whereas it should normally say "Offline". :huh

I'm using the same Add-ons which I used in Firefox 3.6, which never caused me any trouble before.
Currently enabled are: AVG Safe Search, an English spell checker, Surf Canyon, Personas, and a download manager. They are all up-to-date and fully compatible.

I should also mention an issue with attachments in the full editor- they always fail to upload, and no matter what I do next, I then get signed out. (this was present before and after changing cookie settings.)

Talisman, glad I could help mate, let me know if you have any other problems. :dance

Armada, from what I know about those addons, none of them should be affecting this particular issue. There are actually two different types of full editors, the normal full editor, and the Rich Text full editor which you can turn on in your profile. I have had issues with the Rich Text editor before, I forgot about that till just now! :facepalm If you have that turned on, try turning that off in your profile settings. I forget the exact issue I was having, but I will look into it again.

There are also two different types of uploaders for attachments as well, the standard one, and one that uses flash. Those can also be set in your profile. I had some weirdness with the flash one if I recall correctly, but the basic one works just fine. Also, please make sure that you haven't reached your upload limit, you may have to delete some of your old attachments, it will only let you attach a total of about 9.5 meg. But i don't think that would actually disconnect you ...try those two changes and let me know if they have any effect mate, we will get it tracked down eventually! :modding

There are actually two different types of full editors, the normal full editor, and the Rich Text full editor which you can turn on in your profile.
That's a good point. I do use the Rich Text editor, so I'll give the other one a go for a bit...

I have also tried both uploaders in this case, and neither has worked.
The upload limit is not a problem. I have around 18.6 MB of quota remaining, of 48.8 MB. Being a Moderator has its perks... :wp

Oh yeah, I forgot about you "special" people! :razz

I tried the RTE to edit and attach a file in my post above, no problems at all. The issue I was having with it previously may have been fixed in one of the updates Keith did. :shrug

The only other thing that I can think of right off is AVG Safe Search might be causing a bit of weirdness when it searches the upload scripts. If you haven't already, you might try disabling that and see if it makes a difference.

I just tried disabling AVG Safe Search. No difference. :modding
Although, that's a good thing I guess. I don't really want that thing turned off because of this editor issue, so at least it appears to be unrelated.

Perhaps I didn't change the cookie settings correctly. How do you have yours configured, Thagarr?

Ok, well we are narrowing it down anyway! :yes

This is what I currently have in Firefox, you might also try setting up an Exception to allow PA cookies. Are you using the full AVG Internet Security Suite? Or just Antivirus and Safe Search? Although it shouldn't really matter, there might be a possibility that if your running a firewall, it might actually be blocking something.

settingsh.png

I set up the cookies as you showed, and even when making an exception for PA, the issue persists. :facepalm
I only use AVG Antivirus and Safe Search, so I'm not sure how they could be affecting this, if at all.
What confuses me is that everything worked fine back in Firefox 3.6, so I doubt that a firewall would have an affect just because of a browser update.
I originally thought that it was one of Keith's forum updates that had somehow gone wrong, but that doesn't seem likely now, either.

This is a strange one mate, I am convinced that this is a session cookie problem. Any firewall should have absolutely nothing to do with this problem, but I have seen some strange things before. :wp

I have seen a similar problem before, but that was a while back with an older version of the forum and an early Firefox 3. It wasn't near this consistent though, and only happened occasionally. This may have something to do with the way the website communicates with your browser, in other words, encryption. Have a look at your Options again, go to the Advanced tab, under Protocols check and see if both Use SSL 3.0 and Use TSL 1.0 are checked. I am using Firefox 4, but I do have a few other extensions installed than what you have. They are mostly just cosmetic and don't affect they way Firefox communicates. I do however also have ABP and Noscript installed, both have exceptions for PA. I am also using an extension called HTTPS Everywhere, basically, it forces almost any web page you are accessing to use a secure connection, if the webpage supports it. It adds an S to the end of the HTTP in the URL when it is active. I have never seen the forum or the main page use HTTPS, but that addon is really the only thing that is different between what we are using. Just to eliminate the possibility of a problem, I installed Surf Canyon to make sure that it was not the culprit, and I re-edited the post above, even changing attachments, without a problem.

I don't think that it is a PA problem, but if we keep this thread alive long enough, Keith may notice and have something to add that I am missing. :shrug

Ok, well we are narrowing it down anyway! :yes

This is what I currently have in Firefox, you might also try setting up an Exception to allow PA cookies. Are you using the full AVG Internet Security Suite? Or just Antivirus and Safe Search? Although it shouldn't really matter, there might be a possibility that if your running a firewall, it might actually be blocking something.

settingsh.png

I'm using Firefox 3.6.16 and AVG Free. I have Firefox set to "never remember history". Another computer that I have used occasionally has Firefox and AVG and has all of Armada's issues and is set to "remember history".

Hmmm ...Thanks for the info miklkit! :onya

Now that I think about it, the issues I was having a while back were when I also had AVG installed, I switched to Avast free edition over a year ago and I haven't had a problem with PA since. :shrug

Oops. I knew I was forgetting something. :facepalm I have no problems here at all, and that other computer has bad problems here with constantly getting signed out. I was just trying to get a bigger database.

I still doubt very much that AVG is interfering here. It has not been updated significantly since I switched to Firefox 4, and it worked fine with 3.6. :wacko:

Back