• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Editing InternalSettings.ini question

POOTIS

Powder Monkey
Hello,

I've recently taken interest in editing the InternalSettings.ini as I wished to play in a different way. I do realize that it's possible to change your preferences through the options, however, I wanted something more customizable.
I would like to sail without using the world map, but while the Caribbean map is to true scale, without having to go to ''Ironman Mode''. I would also like for the time to tick more slowly and ships to be faster in general.
I have managed to set the Caribbean to the full size (or at least that's what it shows on the map in my inventory), however, I wasn't able to understand how to make time run slowler (not as in game speed, but in-game time), nor was I able to do make ships sail and turn faster, despite cranking up the numbers in the .ini file.

I've edited the following about the ships:
#define ARCADE_MULT_TURN 11.0
#define ARCADE_MULT_SPEED 10.0

The reason these numbers are so big, was to test if the ship speed and turning speed changed, they didn't at all. Is there anything else I should change about the general speed of ships? Now I don't want them to be going at mac 5, but just a little bit faster, like setting the game speed to x5, but with only the ships moving faster.

Edit: I would also like to know if it's possible for the ships in my fleet to have different type sails than me.

"ARCADE_MULT_TURN" and "ARCADE_MULT_SPEED" only affect the ship speeds in "Arcade" mode. If you're still in "Realistic" or "Ironman" mode, these settings will do nothing.

If you are in "Arcade" mode and changing these settings has done nothing, try pressing F11 to reinitialise ship data, among other things. If that still doesn't work, you may need to start a new game for the changed settings to take effect.

It is possible for a ship in the fleet to have different sails if the ship originally has special sails defined when you get it, e.g. your sails might be plain white or have your choice of style, but when you complete the "Strange Things Going On in the Archipelago" quest and capture the Mefisto, it will have red sails. It is not possible for you to choose different sail styles for different ships in your fleet - if you use the "Select Sails" part of the "Ship" interface to change your sails, it will affect every ship in your fleet. (Including the Mefisto. So if you want that ship to keep its red sails, don't touch "Select Sails" unless you want to change all your ships to have matching red sails!)

Changing sails from the "Ship" interface affects the whole fleet. One time after I'd finished the "Bartolomeu" storyline and continued free-playing for a while, I'd captured a much better ship than the special caravel which is Bartolomeu's standard ship. I wanted to continue using Bartolomeu's special sail, which is available from the interface. The result was that every ship in my fleet now used the special sail, including Roxanne Lalliere's pinnace.

Thanks for conforming.

Guess it's up to console then to sort out any of the more complex wishes.

Is it possible for me to increase ''Sail Ho'' level? I red somewhere in the .ini settings that it might cause the game to crash...

"ARCADE_MULT_TURN" and "ARCADE_MULT_SPEED" only affect the ship speeds in "Arcade" mode. If you're still in "Realistic" or "Ironman" mode, these settings will do nothing.

If you are in "Arcade" mode and changing these settings has done nothing, try pressing F11 to reinitialise ship data, among other things. If that still doesn't work, you may need to start a new game for the changed settings to take effect.

It is possible for a ship in the fleet to have different sails if the ship originally has special sails defined when you get it, e.g. your sails might be plain white or have your choice of style, but when you complete the "Strange Things Going On in the Archipelago" quest and capture the Mefisto, it will have red sails. It is not possible for you to choose different sail styles for different ships in your fleet - if you use the "Select Sails" part of the "Ship" interface to change your sails, it will affect every ship in your fleet. (Including the Mefisto. So if you want that ship to keep its red sails, don't touch "Select Sails" unless you want to change all your ships to have matching red sails!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried the F11 button and started a new game, but there is still no change....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You mean the maximum number of fleets you can encounter?

Indeed @Grey Roger added a switch for that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to encounter fleets more often

I have edited #define REALISTIC_SHIP_INERTIA to 0 so that ships ''move as if on rails'' and that solved my speed problem!
Edit: D:Does this make only my ship faster, or the NPC ships as well?

As for the direct sail, is the numbere here what i'm supposed to change:

// Jan07 counter that allows us to set encounterfrequency independent of clockspeed/hourly weatherchange
if(!CheckAttribute(pchar,"directsail.count")) pchar.directsail.count = 0.0;
if(stf(pchar.directsail.count) < ENCOUNTERBREAK)

Last edited:
Edit: D:Does this make only my ship faster, or the NPC ships as well?
Should affect all of them.

As for the direct sail, is the numbere here what i'm supposed to change:

// Jan07 counter that allows us to set encounterfrequency independent of clockspeed/hourly weatherchange
if(!CheckAttribute(pchar,"directsail.count")) pchar.directsail.count = 0.0;
if(stf(pchar.directsail.count) < ENCOUNTERBREAK)
No, that looks like something used internally.
Better to leave that bit alone.

Aren't there any #defines at the top of that file?

Otherwise, look up the DirectEncounter code (I think).

Is it possible for me to increase ''Sail Ho'' level? I red somewhere in the .ini settings that it might cause the game to crash...
The switch in "InternalSettings.h" for extra fleets does not increase the frequency of encounters. It means that if you have an encounter, there is a chance that it will involve more than one group. And yes, it does make crashes significantly more likely.

Back