• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

dll files

Adamski62

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Animator
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
Hi,

Are we allowed to start altering dll files?

damski

What do you want to alter? And for which game?
In the case of PotC, we can't do much else than HEX-edit DLL files and make them load different files.
In the case of CoAS, to alter the DLL files, we've got to do it in the source code and we'd need someone who knows what he's doing for that.
Preferrably not Pirate_KK, because we need him for finishing Build 14 as well. :wp

Hi,
I was thinking more for CoAS....but the animation source is the same as PoTC,or so it says, storm 2.0 in the files.
Altering/adding, if need be ,type of and amount of sea & land animals.

If we were to try add for e.g. whales...would it need dll changes or could it be added by code alone?

damski

I confirm that source code is required to adding new sea animals. In fact, to work properly access to the source code is required, as behavior of those species should be properly coded. For example, in case of PotC, even if hacking the Animals.dll file would be possible to put those whales, they would act like sharks and not use all those fancy animations which would be characteristic for this kind of animals. I tried to explain this in PM to Damski, but I'm afraid I did it plainly wrong...

pirate_kk

Hi Pirate kk,
Understood :onya
For PoTC we'll stick to what we have then.Maybe in the future we can add more to the CoAS/Build.

Cheers for the heads-up though.

damski.

Or maybe if we'd manage to get code for Storm Engine 2.0 too.

pirate_kk

Hi,
On the animation files it says storm 2.0, so if at some point we look into the animations there might be a (very)slight possibility that animals animation code for CoAS,(not all codes),may work within PoTC.Might be worth trying :shrug ...but then again we have'nt got access to the actual V. 2.0 Engine.
OK I'll shut up xD:

damski.

I tried getting the Storm 2.0 source code files, but it seems nobody even has them anymore. :facepalm

We have a lot of work porting over then to get what we want :doff
Did you try asking Akella directly for the storm 2.0 source?....I'll have a try if you want.

I asked Mr. Zaitsev and anyone else I could contact, but nobody has it anymore.
You can try if you want, though.

If I recall, Keith originally did ask Akella directly for the Storm 2.0 source code.
Akella granted permission and told us to ask Mr. Zaitsev for it.
But he only has access to the Storm 2.8 source code.
My memory might be faulty here though, because this doesn't sound like it makes sense. :wacko:

:gday Pieter,

SnailGame..they purchased the rights to use storm 2.0 for their games....wonder if they still have it?
I'm writing up an e-mail to send to SnailGame, stating what we do and the fact we have Akella's permission to use Storm 2.0,but no one can find it,and the storm 2.8 Engine source,..& asking if they can help us out.
It's worth a try...they can only say yes or no. Would it be better coming from Administration though?...yourself or Keith.

:cheers
damski.

Good idea, Damski! As far as I'm concerned, you would be welcome to do it.
I'm not really in a position to be doing too much anymore.

Back