• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Displaying skill level up

morgan terror

Magnificent bastard
Storm Modder
Public Relations
It's simple, really. I'd like to be aware when my skill level increases (as in, reached 100%, therefore increased in rank). I think giving the player that kind of information is a good idea, since it serves as a notification. I'm often waiting for the moment when something levels up, and i'm not getting that feedback right now unless i repeatedly check the character screen. It's also just nice to see those little accomplishments once in a while, and it would give the player more of an idea about what increases their skills, and how quickly. Enabling this for your officers would also be nice, since it just makes the game a bit more immersive; there's always a bit of empathy when one of your officers levels up his skills.

I do understand that displaying the individual % rewards was removed for a reason though. Seabattles got very spammy, though it never bothered me much. It was a good way of seeing which way you could increase a certain skill fastest, which is now a bit lacking, unless you keep track of all the percentages yourself. I'd suggest a compromise, but i can't think of one, other than displaying what i suggested above.

With the new leveling system skill level ups are shown on screen as a log message.

Press L to control the amount of information you get in the on- screen Log Messages.

The default setting - 2 - does not give you all the information. :yes

:drunk

The notes you mention still exist in the game, but are controlled by the Log Toggle (L-key).
If you want more stuff show, just set that to Verbose and see if you like that better. :doff

That's a lot of different solutions, and i like all of them. I should really check the controls for that key binding. We've had a few undocumented ones in the past.

There should be a complete list of controls in your Documentation directory in the main game folder.
The Installer EXE also urges players to look at that.

Yeah, but is it practical? People don't really want to go digging around in folders to know the controls. I'll just check if i can find it in-game.

In fact, i've just checked, and the functionality of the L key isn't even in that file. It also says the game speed steps include 30x speed, while this is actually 20x. It does display the button to drop a mine though, which used to be missing. :) One final mistake i see is that it says the spyglass works with hold/release, while this is actually a toggle.

If people don't take the advice written below the huge "READ ON" text, I do consider that their responsibility.
If we have to spoon feed every single thing, we'll need about another 10 years development time.

That being said, we do try where we can.
But with all the larger issues demanding attention, it is still quite a matter of prioritising.

It should be quite doable to list more keys in game and you're welcome to make that happen.
And any mistakes in that Documentation file should certainly be corrected.
If you can proof read that and post a correct version, I'd be much obliged. :doff

That's not what i meant. I meant that's it's just really impractical to have to go out of the game, look up a notepad file and then go back into the game to know the controls. These things belong in the 'controls' menu. That said, i've been rewriting the document, and it seems neither the game or the document were up to date. They're both missing different things. I'm worried there might be controls that are in neither the document or the menu now. How would i go about modifying the menu?

I've tried to make the document look more like what the player will find in the game, and added a general controls section. It also seems there's actually a control overlap between spacebar and F3. They do the same thing.

Attachments

• Default Key Assignments.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 83
Windowed mode is great for going in and out of the game. ;)

To add controls into the menu, look at PROGRAM \ Controls

It's just clunky. There's no reason for it to have to work that way. Won't matter though if i manage to fix this.

Are you sure about that? While that folder does seem to contain files regarding the controls, none of them seem to be related to the actual menu. I can't see the text accompanying the buttons, for one.
From what i can see in DefaultControls (in that folder), i can see that at least one of the buttons is missing. No idea how i'd define it though.

I've also made a slight modification (there was an inaccuracy in the previous file):

Attachments

• Default Key Assignments.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 73
Back