• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Disney Picks Quality Indie Directors for Pirates of the Caribbean 5

Luffy

Pirate King

Disney has finally settled on a director for the upcoming fifth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, and it’s a somewhat surprising choice. We learned earlier this month that Disney had narrowed the director list down to Fredrik Bond (The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman), Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg (Kon-Tiki), and Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman), and now Deadline reports that the directing duo of Rønning and Sandberg has landed the job. Rønning and Sandberg are best known for helming last year’s Norwegian action/adventure film Kon-Tiki, which was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Oscar. Hit the jump for more.

for those who are interested :)

great, looking forward to it, I was somewhat disappointed though with POTC 4 though still good, could of done a couple of improvements but not too much changing, the way I would of had POTC 4 is that we have angelica and blackbeard still and the mermaid plot, but no romance with her and the missionary and also removing the redeption of Blackbeard story line, didn't fit in for me, would of had blackbeard more intimidating and actually kill the mermaid after to get the point across in the film just how evil he was and have him kill more crew members "personally" for example the part in where they are capturing the mermaids and he shoots the water and says "there will be no refuge on land" I would of had him actually shoot the guy, since I found Barbossa more intimidating in the POTC series then him, and should of been Blackbeard really since his reputation. Oh and a ship to ship battle! that was missing in that film lol. But overall not bad.

hopefully POTC 5 will be better though.

great, looking forward to it, I was somewhat disappointed though with POTC 4 though still good, could of done a couple of improvements but not too much changing, the way I would of had POTC 4 is that we have angelica and blackbeard still and the mermaid plot, but no romance with her and the missionary and also removing the redeption of Blackbeard story line, didn't fit in for me, would of had blackbeard more intimidating and actually kill the mermaid after to get the point across in the film just how evil he was and have him kill more crew members "personally" for example the part in where they are capturing the mermaids and he shoots the water and says "there will be no refuge on land" I would of had him actually shoot the guy, since I found Barbossa more intimidating in the POTC series then him, and should of been Blackbeard really since his reputation. Oh and a ship to ship battle! that was missing in that film lol. But overall not bad.

hopefully POTC 5 will be better though.

I think most of that i agree with, except for the romance bit. i liked that part of the story. and i think it was to show that the mermaid's are not such a "monster", and it made you actually fear for it. which i think was made possibly to make blackbeard more evil for wanting to kill her? im not sure haha haven't seen it in a while. but yeah, black beard was not as Much as a "Pirate" as i was expecting. :pflag

Indeed the missing ship-to-ship battle was certainly disappointing. It was a bit of a surprising twist, to Barbossa as well, but I LIKE those battles.
And in the previous film they got VERY close to giving us a fleet-to-fleet battle and they ruddy, bloody DIDN'T do it!
So they owe us some ship battle stuff!

I suspect those might be the hardest to film and most expensive to do, which might explain why they are skipping on it.
But they shouldn't. That's what film pirates DO, you know??? :whipa

Indeed the missing ship-to-ship battle was certainly disappointing. It was a bit of a surprising twist, to Barbossa as well, but I LIKE those battles.
And in the previous film they got VERY close to giving us a fleet-to-fleet battle and they ruddy, bloody DIDN'T do it!

I suspect those might be the hardest to film and most expensive to do, which might explain why they are skipping on it.
:onya

yeah would of been awesome to see Barbossa leading an english fleet against the spanish, I mean we got so close he encountered them! wuld of been cool to see blackbeard take on the english/spanish too in a ship battle, imagine him using greek fire to set them all alight! haha

wuld of been cool to see blackbeard take on the english/spanish too in a ship battle, imagine him using greek fire to set them all alight! haha
Hmm, I like PROPER ship-to-ship battles. The Greek Fire is just one of those silly PotC film things I believe they could have done without.
And that is coming from the person who added that functionality to the PotC Build Mod! :pirate41:

The PotC films would have been much better with LESS crazy stuff in there. I'm also not a fan of the "gattling cannons" on the Flying Dutchman.
On the one hand, they're kind-of fun. But on the other hand, there's really no need for all that.
The first film balanced a normal world with some fantasy elements quite brilliantly. The next three films do NOT.

The PotC films would have been much better with LESS crazy stuff in there. I'm also not a fan of the "gattling cannons" on the Flying Dutchman.
On the one hand, they're kind-of fun. But on the other hand, there's really no need for all that.
The first film balanced a normal world with some fantasy elements quite brilliantly. The next three films do NOT.

heh, thats what im in to, I like the fantasy elements, as I have always liked fantasy as a kid, films like Jason and the Argonauts, Narnia and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that too. And a LOT at that. It is just a matter of where it belongs.
You can throw everything and the kitchen sink together in the same film, but that doesn't mean that is a good idea.
PotC 2-4 really are just like that. They took a fun concept: Pirates + fantasy and went completely overboard with it.

I'd have been fine with it if they had stuck with real legends, but gattling cannons on the Flying DUTCHMAN that SUBMERGES and is captained by a SCOT?!?
Where does THAT come from? o_O

And that is, obviously, only the tip of the iceberg.

I enjoyed the films for the background stuff like architecture, clothes, the society implied in the dialogs, and the behavior of the background characters. Like the dock hands loading barrels and goats onto a ship.

The rest of the movies are just Disney yuck yuck fun and games.

Back