• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Disaster has struck. (W 8.1)

antonyzac

Professional questioner
I'm not sure if downloading the new Windows 8.1 software has anything to do with it, but trying to run POTC for the first time since downloading 8.1 failed miserably today. I got this:
Untitled.png
Any ideas?

try running it in compatability mode.

It still works fine for me after the update (though I haven't had a chance to test Beta 3 Full yet... stupid internet).
Are you saying the game worked fine on Win8 and suddenly stopped with 8.1? Did you change anything else?

One thing I'll say is the my game is installed to C:\Game Files\PotC- New Horizons, but I notice yours is in your Documents folder.
Perhaps some security measures are interfering in that folder? I'd recommend moving the game folder straight to the C drive just to be sure (not Program Files, of course).

try running it in compatibility mode.
I tried compatibility mode for all operating systems and no luck! :modding

It still works fine for me after the update (though I haven't had a chance to test Beta 3 Full yet... stupid internet).
Are you saying the game worked fine on Win8 and suddenly stopped with 8.1? Did you change anything else?

One thing I'll say is the my game is installed to C:\Game Files\PotC- New Horizons, but I notice yours is in your Documents folder.
Perhaps some security measures are interfering in that folder? I'd recommend moving the game folder straight to the C drive just to be sure (not Program Files, of course).

I'll try that now. It's transferred 24% now...so slow! I'm also downloading the graphics driver again as NVIDIA released a Windows 8.1-compatible version and I'm not sure if that's the problem. I really hope something works...I always run into problems when I least expect it!

Probally moving the whole folder will crash your game. You need to uninstall and first install potc again and then the mod. Else some keys wont be changed. At least I think. Could be mistaken.

I hope the 8.1 driver will work.

Nope, moving the whole folder gives me the exact same error. I've moved the whole folder before (even across computers!) and haven't had problems though :)
I THINK direct X might have something to do with it but I am no expert with this stuff so. I only say that because it crashes after initialising direct X 8. 60% of the driver is downloaded. I really want this to work.

ALSO I have a new find...this isn't just a problem with POTC. ALL my other games are also not loading. Does this help for a diagnosis?

Yes. It's a videocard problem. But that was clearly already. I tought you already said all other games weren't working also.
Thats why I hope for you the driver will fix it.

Yes. It's a videocard problem. But that was clearly already. I tought you already said all other games weren't working also.
Thats why I hope for you the driver will fix it.
I don't even know what I've said already. I confuse myself!
Thanks for your help! I'll let you know how it goes :)

UPDATE: Indeed it was a graphic card issue! Updating the graphic card from NVIDIA's website worked a treat and I'm a happy pirate-gamer again! (Pirate gamer as in pirate games, not downloading illegally of course :dance)

Thanks for both your help! :cheers

Probally moving the whole folder will crash your game. You need to uninstall and first install potc again and then the mod. Else some keys wont be changed. At least I think. Could be mistaken.
The game is self-contained, and can be moved around without breaking anything. That's probably one of the only advantages it has, these days.

UPDATE: Indeed it was a graphic card issue! Updating the graphic card from NVIDIA's website worked a treat and I'm a happy pirate-gamer again! (Pirate gamer as in pirate games, not downloading illegally of course :dance)
Ahh, I didn't think about driver issues. Glad to hear its fixed now! :onya

Another problem with Horatio Hornblower! On the Loyalty quest, the French are supposed to capture me after blowing up the lighthouse on Guadaloupe. I'm on the beach, I say "where's the ship", the French appear but they refuse to walk, talk or capture me and now I'm stuck! Any tips?

Hi Levis. I don't know if I haven't read the threat properly that you linked me to, but is there a solution to the problem yet? :)

if you install the new update it will show the models properly. First see if that works. If not I posted a file in there which should fix the problem. I'm still looking into it because it seems there is another problem but we like all the feedback. If you follow a link posted in there you will see a way you can go to other stages of the quest also.

I have the latest update and still have the problem (Build 14 Beta 3).

What's the problem with the fix? :) When does it occur and how does it affect general game-play? I just want to know so I can see whether to download the "fix" or not and whether it's worth it! :) Thanks!

I believe you first have to install the oktober 8 update also. But I'm not sure. Pieter Boelen knows this better probally.

Back