• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Difficulty level

Out_of_rum

Sailor Apprentice
Hi everyone

I managed to pick up a used Potc on cd for 3 usd. I remmember playing the vanilla game as a kid, and thought it was pretty cool, and i cannot wait to try out the new horizons mod :)

My plan is to play "the tales of a sea hawk", and i was thinking about what is the best difficulty to start at?
I like it if the game is challenging, and not become way to easy later on, but not totally unfair and unforgiving at the same time.

I have previously played abit of Sea dogs: TEHO on normal difficulty, and i found that suitable for me in that game, but im not sure if that is the same with the new horizons mod.

Did the vanilla game have difficulty levels at all?

For New Horizons, I'd say start on the lowest and see how that feels.
There's plenty of added complexity from all the new game mechanics alone and it'll probably take you a while to get the hang of that.

You can also change the difficulty level in mid-game, so if you get bored, just turn it up a notch. ;)

A bigger question would be: "Which Realism Mode to start at?"
That's mostly up to your personal preference, so I couldn't possibly answer that for you.
But looking here should at least give you some data to base your decision on:
New Horizons | PiratesAhoy!

I'll be very curious to hear your feedback!
The good and the bad. (Though you can leave out the ugly... :razz )

The intermediate difficulty levels are "Mariner" and "Seadog". Try one of those.

You can choose the starting difficulty level when you choose the storyline. You can also change the difficulty level at any time - press F1 and go to "Options". You can even do this during a game in progress. So if you start the game and find it too hard or too easy after a while, you don't need to start again from the beginning.

As well as the basic difficulty level, there are various other things you can change in "Options" to make the game more or less challenging, more or less realistic.

I use the Sea Dog difficulty.

And I believe it is easier when compared to TEHO on normal, so probably you won't have any problems.

I like the direct sailing only that iron man has to offer, but at the same time, i feel like i don't have the time to play that game mode with all the settings. Is it possible to play the realistic game mode, but with the world map turned off? If yes, how will that interfere with game quests etc.

I like the direct sailing only that iron man has to offer, but at the same time, i feel like i don't have the time to play that game mode with all the settings. Is it possible to play the realistic game mode, but with the world map turned off?
Yup.
You can edit the top of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h to make the game more realistic in only those specific areas that you want.

If yes, how will that interfere with game quests etc.
It shouldn't.
Not in any significant way, anyway.

Will i be able to encounter ship battles and storms in the same way in direct sailing mode as in world map?

Will i be able to encounter ship battles and storms in the same way in direct sailing mode as in world map?
Fleets of ships and building up storms/tornadoes, yes.
Ship battles, not really though.

Recently a feature was added to encounter multiple fleets that can also be hostile to each other.
This kind-of works, but also comes with an increased chance of crashes.
It's in the main mod, just switched off by default.
You can try it at some point and see how well it works for you.

Ups. I misunderstod the question

Last edited:
What Value should i put in? The line in internalSettings are:
"#define DS_MULTIFLEET 0.0 // FLOAT - percentage chance of an extra group in a direct-sail encounter. Default 0.0, no additional groups. Likely to cause crashes if set above 0.0".

Does anyone have any experience about the best value ?

It's a very, VERY new addition.
I don't think anyone has much experience with it just yet...

Thanks :) So just to make sure that i understand the setting correctly; if i set the value to 25.0, then with each encounter in direct sailing, there is a 25% chance of spawning fleets?

With each encounter in direct sailing, setting the value to 25.0 will mean that there is a 25% chance of spawning two groups instead of one. They may be any of the usual types of group. And there is a significant chance that the game will crash as soon as the encounter is generated.

Okay, i will give it a shot and see how stable it is. As far as i can read from the other thread, some have experienced the game crashing more than others.

Back