• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Devlin Opera for the 65742th time

I can't remember now what "Indian Village 2" is. Files "village.gm" and "village_locators.gm" date back to late April and early May 2022, so that's presumably when it was added. But "Indian Village" is used for my "Colombian Silver" quest. The village is defined in "PROGRAM\Locations\init\Colombia.c", and it's not empty when you visit it because several "Build_At" commands put tepees there. That dates back to 2020.

The Arawak village is present in all periods - you just couldn't see it in "Early Explorers" because you couldn't land on the island in earlier versions of the game. If you can change the characters to use something other than Dutch voice clips, go ahead! You could also switch them to use different dialog files in "Devlin Opera". ("Assassin" switches the chief to use a quest dialog file so that Elting can try to bribe him to help with the siege of Oranjestad.) But don't change the location.

@BathtubPirate I have just downloaded and opened your folder.
I know I shared some picture files with you a long time ago. But the idea wasn't to put all of it in the game. (ItemsBTP 4 files.) Use what you want/need
and make one picture file of it. The rest you can keep for coming adventures.

@BathtubPirate Sorry for many posts but I checked your uploaded texture files compared with POTC and these ones are already in the game:
bush3_1.tga cao3.tga rdy.tga reda.bmp shu001.tga ssa0001.tga ssa0002.tga Tree2.tga treepi.bmp

... and in Shore_Ship2 these files can be deleted:
1502001_4.COL folderinfo.dat gr5020011.gm TREE_4.COL visual_patch.gm
These are files that POTC doesn't use.

I couldn't open neither 1502001.gm nor tree.gm with the TOOL so I tried an easier way.
In Aruba file: MaxSeaHeight = 0.35; and that fixes the unwanted water.

I also moved reload1 just a little. Even if a locator is in the walking area but very close
to the edge you can get stuck there.

Attachments

• from JRH.7z
    1.7 KB · Views: 48
But don't change the location.
Hmm okay, I won't change it. I thought it couldn't hurt if it was kept just in one storyline.

I know I shared some picture files with you a long time ago. But the idea wasn't to put all of it in the game. (ItemsBTP 4 files.) Use what you want/need
and make one picture file of it. The rest you can keep for coming adventures.
I don't know how to make one picture file. Everything I ever tried with textures (character portraits, loading screens etc.) so far got messed up somewhere in the process of making the correct image size etc.

Sorry for many posts but I checked your uploaded texture files compared with POTC and these ones are already in the game:
bush3_1.tga cao3.tga rdy.tga reda.bmp shu001.tga ssa0001.tga ssa0002.tga Tree2.tga treepi.bmp
Thanks, I'll update the folder accordingly and delete the superfluous files.

I couldn't open neither 1502001.gm nor tree.gm with the TOOL so I tried an easier way.
In Aruba file: MaxSeaHeight = 0.35; and that fixes the unwanted water.
Thank you for that, it looks much better now I think!

Does anybody know anything about weather in the game? It is important that there is always sunny weather in Aruba, until I set it to rain in one quest case. So far, it rains most of the time when I use a jumpstart...

I have used SetNextWeather("Blue Sky"); and SetNextWeather("Blue Sky"); in quest_reaction a few times, but I'm not even sure if they work, what the difference is and how they work. Would I have to put them into as many quest cases as possible to be sure?

@BathtubPirate I can help with the item picture file (photoshop).
Which of the pictures have you used do far? Do you need any other types of items? My library is very big...

So far, it rains most of the time when I use a jumpstart...
Add
SetNextWeather("Clear"); in the console.c where you teleport.

Today I've been trying to add a cave entrance to the shore. Maybe finished tomorrow for you to decide
if you want it. :)

Looks like I have just corrupted my game somehow, I can't start it anymore. This happened before one or two times, I guess I have to set up a completely new one but I already hate updating all my files in the new folder and adjusting all the settings and controls... :(

Of the four items_BTP I have used so far
- BTP1 (10)
- BTP2 (1)
- BTP3 (7)
- BTP3 (9)
- BTP 2 (10)
- BTP (8)
- BTP (10)

I'm still figuring out the quest, but I could probably use Indian statues, plants (of course both are already in the game, but especially the statues are the same old well-known throwaway items), torches (also in the game, but don't know if I'm allowed to use them) and just Indian items in general...

Which shore? Shore_Ship2? Again, I haven't figured out the whole quest yet, so there's always the possibility of getting new inspiration by something like a cave entrance. But at the same time, there are already a few cave entrances on my Aruba. One to MediumCavern2 and four big ones at the sacred forest.

I thought the cave entrance at Shore_Ship2 could be where you arrive from the Sacred Forest to the beach.
Try it and if you don't want it delete all the new files and change 1 line in Aruba.c

Attachments

• cave entrance.7z
    301.6 KB · Views: 43
Looks like I have just corrupted my game somehow, I can't start it anymore. This happened before one or two times, I guess I have to set up a completely new one but I already hate updating all my files in the new folder and adjusting all the settings and controls...
Delete the file "options" in the top level of the game installation folder and see if you can start the game. You will indeed need to adjust all the settings and controls again, but deleting that file might allow you to continue without needing a full reinstall. The file sometimes becomes corrupted, leading to various random weirdness - one result can indeed be that the game crashes when you try to start.

If that does work, set everything the way you want, then quit at once. Make a backup copy of "options". This is a known clean version of the file with all your chosen settings.

Next time the game acts oddly, delete the current "options", make a copy of the backup copy, and rename that to "options". (Occasionally I delete "options" and replace it with a copy of the backup even if the game hasn't yet shown any visible weirdness, just as a precaution.)

Here's the merged item picture file, itemsBTP.
itemsBTP1 - 3 can now be deleted.

Attachments

• itemsBTP.7z
    165.9 KB · Views: 40
Right now may not be my most productive time. Today, I can move back to my flat, then I still need a new computer sometime soon because I will once again be stuck with my very old laptop only.

Try it and if you don't want it delete all the new files and change 1 line in Aruba.c
Thank you, I don't think I have use for it right now. But you never know, I might have an idea and use it.

Delete the file "options" in the top level of the game installation folder
Thank you, this seemed to work at first, but then it crashed once or twice again, and since I had already made a new install Thursday night, I just finished it. It should be stable now for a while I think.

Here's the merged item picture file, itemsBTP.
itemsBTP1 - 3 can now be deleted.
Thank you also for this, I will look at it and implement it as soon as I'm set up again at my new old place.

The reload locators at Shore_Ship2 / Wreckage Cove don't seem to work anymore, this mostly concerns reload1 which is supposed to lead to Aruba_Devlin_Jungle. I'm confused about what could have changed. @Jack Rackham added MaxSeaHeight and slightly moved reload1, but I'm pretty sure reload1 still worked after that addition at first.

Reload1 works fine for me to get to Aruba_Devlin_Jungle. Reload1_back is not "connected".

The standard use of "double" reloads use to be like this:

"Reload1" placed in the right place but underground. It's here you arrive. And later name your officers arrice locators after.
"Reload1_back" is the depart locator, (in ground level)
Autoreload = "1" means automatic reload (in jungles for. ex,). "0" means you have to press a button. (at doors for. ex.)

@BathtubPirate We have started testing the Devlin Opera storyline for build 15, and aside from some minor issues it is going well.

Feel free to join us when your modding motivation has been recharged!

Could anyone tell me the status of this storyline?
To what etent is it now "finished"?

Have a look at the Wiki entry. @BathtubPirate has updated it to include the most recently finished part of the story.
Devlin Opera Story

Partly in preparation for the next chapter and partly because it seemed like a good idea generally, the Arawak burial ground on Aruba is now completely different. Instead of a clone of Speightstown dungeon, it is now a spookily lit cave.

Back