• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Default font in posts

Baste

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Does anyone remember which font was the default in the old IP Board we had? Also, how do people feel about the current default font?

I don't quite like it, and remember that I liked the previous font better. It wasn't all too important so I haven't mentioned it until now when I was reminded of it again.

I would like to suggest that we change the default font, perhaps to the one we had before when we used IPB. What do others say? Do you agree or maybe you prefer the current font?

While not the most legible, personally, I do find the current font okay -- except in quotes! In quotations it is absolutely terrible. Miniaturised italics are one of the least legible text formatting to read.

I'll also throw this in here for (both illustration and) consideration:
The British Dyslexia Association recommend “plain, evenly spaced sans serif font such as Arial and Comic Sans. Alternatives include Verdana, Tahoma, Century Gothic, Trebuchet”...

Source: OpenDyslexic - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Does anyone remember which font was the default in the old IP Board we had?
If anyone does, it would be @Armada.
He left for a few days, but hopefully he'll be able to answer that when he returns.

Also, how do people feel about the current default font?
Never bothered me; truth be told... :unsure

If you click "Whisper Pirate" at the bottom left of the forum, you can choose a different forum display style.
Maybe one of the existing ones there works better for you?

I did a quick test though and I haven't noticed it changing the font.
I also had a quick look through the Admin Control Panel and immediately got lost in the gazillion options there.

Here's what the forum previously looked like: Pirates Ahoy!
And an example of a forum thread from that time: Fixing the Build Mod Ships - Pirates Ahoy!

Is that what you're referring to? It appears to use Tahoma, whereas our current theme uses Georgia by default.

I've made a copy of the default forum theme using Tahoma for messages. Try "Whisper Pirate Sans" and let me know what you think.
I've also increased the font size of quotes to match the main body but kept the italics (this applies to both themes). Is that more readable?

Thanks Armada! :cheers Looks good -- much better! The letters are a little too condensed with the current, Tahoma font applied. Perhaps we should go with Verdana?

220px-Tahoma.png
220px-VerdanaSpecimen.svg.png

Or you could increase the letter-spacing a little bit (1px) using CSS for the Pirate Whisper Sans theme.

I'm also wondering if Century Gothic may be a better fit for this board and its theme. It's also an easy-to-read and sans font:

220px-CenturyGothicSpecimen.svg.png

It reminds me a little bit of Georgia, but without the serif. And it's not as condensed as Tahoma -- so it's better for reading on screen.

For the quotes, you could also make the text slightly lighter/faded in colour (only very slightly, yellowed to match the container's colour and design, like the "said" text above them). That will help emphasize that they are old/passive text, not current/active. And then you may not even need the italic styling on them. ;)

Last edited:
Here's what the forum previously looked like: Pirates Ahoy!
And an example of a forum thread from that time: Fixing the Build Mod Ships - Pirates Ahoy!
Good to know how it used to look.

I also had a look around when I found the forum, before actually having an account.

Got well and truly used to the forum's current look. :onya
I like the new one better, looks more piraty.

I've made a copy of the default forum theme using Tahoma for messages. Try "Whisper Pirate Sans" and let me know what you think.
I've also increased the font size of quotes to match the main body but kept the italics (this applies to both themes). Is that more readable?
Thanks @Armada, nice work! :cheers

For the quotes, you could also make the text slightly lighter/faded in colour (only very slightly, yellowed to match the container's colour and design, like the "said" text above them). That will help emphasize that they are old/passive text, not current/active. And then you may not even need the italic styling on them. ;)
This could indeed work.

I've noticed that since the forum upgrade there doesn't seem to be a difference between "Whisper Pirate" and "Whisper Pirate Sans", and both use a font that I prefer. As such, maybe Whisper Pirate Sans should be removed as it seems to no longer be needed?

Back