• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dead Calm

Harmsway

Sailor Apprentice
Living in Florida as I do and owning a small sailboat I know winds aren't as low as COAS has them. This topic comes up from time to time without resolution. So I would like to be able to increase wind speed slightly on my own. But I need help. If one of you knows where the settings for wind speeds are let me know. I would like to tweak that file to match insert below.

Here is a weather insert I got for Puerto Rico. http://weatherspark.com/averages/33727/Ponce-Puerto-Rico

Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 0 mph to 16 mph (calm to moderate breeze), rarely exceeding 20 mph (fresh breeze).

The highest average wind speed of 9 mph (gentle breeze) occurs around July 11, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 16 mph (moderate breeze).

The lowest average wind speed of 6 mph (light breeze) occurs around November 12, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 12 mph (gentle breeze).

Go for it! :thumbs1

I agree the wind speed in COAS is too low, and am surprised that no one ever fixed it.

Of course if the wind speed is raised to something more realistic, then the ship speed might need to be dropped to keep them from turning into speed boats. :nerbz

\Program\Weather\init

The files that need to be change are in this folder. I'm tweaking them now. Let you know.

I am planning on improved wind for GOF Eras for Patch1. If you already have something done maybe we can use it because I haven't done much with it yet.

Be careful. Caution is my only advice because as with everything else that abilities can affect in COAS - speed and ship performance are on a sliding scale as well that is tied to your and your officer's abilities.

So once you get to level 29 and have great luck abilities and extra items that boost luck you might get sixes on every dice on dice games. That can be pretty boring.

Once you reach level 30 and you and your navigator have all the navigation perks and high navigation abilities and extra items that boost navigation abilities you might just find that you indeed have a speedboat sailing ship.

I know its annoying at lower levels but once you level up and gain additional abilities it gets much better even with Luke's numbers or vanilla numbers.

Just sayin.

MK

I was able to tweak the files to my liking. Amazing it works extremely well. Wind speeds are normal the way they should be. Hull speeds are good. Not too fast. However I hear what you're saying about how leveling up increasing everything. I'll keep an eye on this and if need be dial back some. In the mean time I want to continue for a few more game days to see how it endures.

Back