• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

De Zeven Provinciën

SeaNorris.

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
Hi,

I have recently been in contact with Stefan (creator of De Zeven Provinciën) which is currently a community project on PotBS. I asked him could we use his files for the build mods, he used to play on the build mods and gave us approval to use his model. I have uploaded the files to the piratesahoy ftp as they were presented to the PotBS community. I couldn't see what needs to be done to finish the ship as the files wouldn't load correctly in my copy of 3ds max hopefully someone can have a look (and post some pictures). :)

Regards,

Thank's, great news! If the files are in 3ds max format i can't open they, but i'm sure another modder will...

Hi,

I have recently been in contact with Stefan (creator of De Zeven Provinciën) which is currently a community project on PotBS. I asked him could we use his files for the build mods, he used to play on the build mods and gave us approval to use his model. I have uploaded the files to the piratesahoy ftp as they were presented to the PotBS community. I couldn't see what needs to be done to finish the ship as the files wouldn't load correctly in my copy of 3ds max hopefully someone can have a look (and post some pictures). :)

Regards,

I was really hoping Pgargon would try to build this ship. His work is so beautiful! :onya

However, this is my favorite historical ship and I look forward with GREAT anticipation to it being available and ported into COAS.

If it looks anything like the Poseidon (which we've been playing with in the GOF mod....freakin beautiful, just needing jibs and staysails - I've fought it several times in testing), Zeven Provincien will be one of the finest ships we have.

I can't wait! :will

MK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157624964465779/

You're doing a REALLY GOOD job getting these PotBS shipbuilding contacts there SeaNorris. Keep up the good work. :onya

If we could also get the makers of the Alexander/Macedon, Triumphant, Prince, Invincible, and Hercules Frigate on board with us we'd really be set.

Perhaps even the Valiant and Wenden too.

The poor management, overall lack of game content, FORCED PvP, and scummy members of the PotBS community who've all but hijacked the game gave me no choice but to leave PotBS but SWEET LORD do I miss all the nice ships from that game.

I know some might not think getting too many things from other games is a good idea but I personally believe that good ships are good ships regardless of source.

These ships and the people who make them deserve recognition and better to be featured on an alternative game to be on than just a game which is slowly self-destructing like PotBS is.

Well done mate. Carry on.

That's not totally a yes or no question. :shrug

Technically the standard rating systems of the 18th century were not yet in use at the time, but some historians have made use of them to describe/classify earlier ships. Two schools of thought here are that 1) you simply apply the 18th century standard, (and by that means, yes the Zeven Provencien is a 2nd rate 80 gun ship of the line). However, 2) the second school of thought is that you apply the ratings according to what the nation fielded at that particular time. By that reckoning, the Zeven Provincien was a 1st rater. She was De Ruyter's own flagship of the Dutch Navy.

I tend to prefer the 2nd school of thought. ;)

If we look at it this way, ships larger than 80 guns (Great ships or Kings ships) were not common during the 2nd Anglo-Dutch wars. There were only a handful of ships like the Sovereign of the Seas mounting 100+ guns in the English fleet. Indeed the Royal Charles was the English flagship, and she was an 80 gun ship. During the First Anglo-Dutch war, the Dutch were battered by the larger English ships, and determined not to allow that to happen again. Before the outset of the 2nd Dutch War, DeWitt had commissioned an entirely new navy be built, and by the beginning of the conflict,12 of the large 80 gun ships like Zeven Provincien had been built. The Dutch never favored ships any larger than these because of the shallow channels not only of the Zuider Zee, but many of the far flung ports in their vast colonial trading Empire. Their bottoms had a much shallower draft as a result making them much faster than the English ships.

The deeper keeled English ships enjoyed a slight advantage in choppy weather of a more stable gun platform, but several ran aground during the war as well. The Royal James was burned by the Dutch who couldn't wait to refloat her and feared the English would return in greater numbers to recapture her. The Dutch also enjoyed a significant advantage in fire power as well. The Dutch being the great arms traders, foundry builders, and cannon makers of the time, established THE standard gun sizes. Many of these were adopted into the English Navy. The Dutch 80 gun ships mounted either full batteries of 36 pounders, or 36's on the lower deck, and 24 pounders on the upper decks, whereas the English relied primarily on the 24 pounder with some ships having lower decks comprised of 32 pounder batteries.

By wars end, the Dutch had bult several dozen of the large 80 gun ships. At the Four Days Fight (1666), the largest age of sail cannon battle in history, it's reckoned that each side fielded over 180 ships respectively with some contemporary estimates guessing the total number of warships on the water at over 500. Most of the largest line of Battle Warships were present including the Zeven Provincien and the HMS Prince who engaged in their famous duel there.

In my mind the Zeven Provincien will always be a "First Rate" ship of the line despite her 80 gun battery. :onya

MK

Any further developments on this ship? :hmm

Unfortuneately it looks like it will be a few months. I've been following the POTBS threads with interest. A modeller known as JW Santhem is leading the effort. The following is lifted from their thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Goldbeard
When will the ship come out, or when is it planned to come out? It looks like a nice ship, keep up the good work.

It could be a while, i dont have alot of time to work on it. Especially since there's been some progress on my more recent ship models, that are being reviewed. For now, i hope to finish this in 2-3months, then getting it ingame will be another few. Sadly.

However, if anybody starts complaining they can do it themselves :p Its a huge lot of work to build a ship the size of the 7P, and it sure aint easy. but remember, its a community project, everybody can hop in and help, however me and Pedro are the only one's on it, and im pretty sure pedro works 40+ hours a week :p

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51834&page=10

I would venture a bet that Pgargon would have it finished in a weeks time.

MK

You won't get any complaints about the time it takes to make something like this from me there MK. Good quality stuff DOES take a lot of time to make. I'd rather wait and get a sweet masterpiece than get a buggy not so great piece of junk that is just rushed out there. I don't know anything about game modeling but I can respect the time and effort needed to make these ships especially if you take into account that these people have personal lives like everybody else. Shipbuilders virtual or real life are NOT machines after all.

The only person I know of there who can seemingly combine speed and quality so efficiantly is Pgargon. I'd REALLY love to know how he does it. The speed in which he brings his super-high quality products out seems almost inhuman. Pgargon's stuff is not only super-detailed and fast but also quite simple especially the textures. Simple enough in fact that I've already made about 8 personal texture variants of his new San Felipe.

But yeah take your time. The Zeven wil be done when it's done. I do of course enjoy tracking the progress of exiting new ships and making the occasional project suggestion but know I will never try to rush anyone even if others do.

Back