• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Davy Jones' Locker

Fauntleroy

Landlubber
Hello! We all know the phrase "to be sent to Davy Jones' locker". Could it be possible to create it for New Horizons?
For example, if your ship sink during a storm or a twister, or if you are killed during a boarding, you could wake up on a beach (the one with the shipwreck) where you could talk to Davy Jones about the price of your resurrection (that price would be proportional with your reputation). If you cannot pay you could escape DJ's locker by fighting skeletons in the cavern (which entrance is on the beach) and find your ship on a second beach (which could be found by taking the second exit of the cavern). And finally, when you enter the worldmap you are in the middle of the archipelago (near Petit Tabac).
What do you think of these ideas? Please tell me.

Methinks I would be going there an awful lot! Whether it is a good idea or not depends on how often one dies, and I would be spending more time there than anywhere else.

Sounds like quite an interesting idea, actually. We'll need to make the locker for At World's End at some point, anyway.
Maybe we could have it as an option exclusive to the Jack Sparrow storyline. Instead of the usual chances of either surviving in a dinghy or dying and ending the game,
the player could opt to go to the locker instead of ending the game. They would then be sent to a vast, empty wasteland along with their ship (or a generic ship wreck),
and are forced to find a way to escape... :read

While we're at it, why not include the possibility of being found by the Flying Dutchman, and having Jones greeting you with "Do you fear death...?"
He would then offer you the chance to join his crew (but the player will find a way to escape, of course), or not... in which case it's game over there and then. :pflag
Both this and going to the locker could be mini side-quests in the Jack Sparrow storyline.

Does sound like fun and it'd get tedious after the umpteenth time it happens to you.
And it'd be quite a lot of work to implement, especially in a way that would be challenging and different on the second occurrence too.

Maybe we'd have to make it a random one-time occurrence each time you play the storyline, so it wouldn't happen every single time you die at sea. You can't have too many second chances!
For example, you'd survive based on the survival chances as usual, but there's always a chance of dying and ending the game, and an even smaller chance of ending up in the Locker.

I agree the actual side-quest concept would be easier said than done. While the modelling wouldn't be difficult, the dialogues and extra coding would probably need at least one dedicated modder.

EDIT: random idea for a simple alternative- maybe we could say that the Locker counts as one of the few ways the player actually 'dies', represented by the short clips played when the game ends (e.g. sharks attacking, skeleton on beach etc). Once the location model is made, someone good at making videos could make a clip showing a ship stuck in the Locker, and add the soundtrack of the other clips.
That way, the idea of escaping from the Locker remains exclusive to the actual Jack Sparrow quest, instead of being a random occurrence. How does that sound?

Putting in an additional "death" video would be easy enough. For anything else, I have to wonder if the gains outweigh the needs.

LOL! Don't you just love the Capsize mod? :rofl

LOL! I definitely DO like that mod. Definitely makes the storms more interesting, I reckon.
And the occasional capsizing ship does look good. :wp

Back