• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help CTD on save loading.

casifnet

Landlubber
Ahoy mates!
First of all I would like to thank you guys sincerely for all your effort and hard work! Without you
I wouldn't be righting this now would I :onya.

Anyway, I have a weird problem started only recently with my save files.
Now lets say I start a new game, I play for an amount of time and suddenly after a while my saves
would not wanna load any more. Now it's important to to note that the save is not marked as corrupted
but as supposedly alright. The problem is I'm having a CTD when attempting a Load.

What fixed it for me last time it happened was to do a fresh install and start a new game, but it now
returned as my saves once again would not wanna load up and CTD when attempted.

I truly hope someone here might be able to help me and I thank you sincerely from ahead! :)

EDIT: I'm using the latest build.

Attachments

• compile.log
    2.1 KB · Views: 103
  • system.log
    7.9 KB · Views: 124
Do you have several different profiles? Sometimes when one has many profiles for different quests the game gets confused, and you have to manually select the one you want.

Thank you for the quick reply!
I have only one profile with a custom name of the Master and Commander quest.

Umm, did you rename any of the other characters in the game? If character X has been renamed the game can not find him.

I did actually rename my officers, at least some of them.. Anyway it didn't cause any problems up till now as I renamed my officers
early on in the game and not only recently.. But if so is the case and the game is actually having problems finding them officers,
is there anything I can do?
Also. Do you see any other potential reason for this outrage? :aar

EDIT: I managed to track my actions through checking each save and found that both this profile
and the one I had before I re installed, started CTD on load immediately after I appointed one of
my officers as a captain of a captured ship.

I hope this helps and thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
There was another player some time back who had a similar problem with his officers. I have been searching for that thread but have not found it yet.

Anyway, IIRC the problem was caused by his officer being very good while the player had very low skills. When this officer was assigned a captured ship this caused some sort of conflict that broke his game.

So, what is your level and skills?

I'm level 17 and my skills are mostly from 5 to 8.
Anyway, I've managed to run the game by putting it on Win XP SP 2 compatibility mod and by running the game as an administrator.
Now it's a fifty percent chance for the save loading or not.

I've manged to get to a port and sell the captured ship, saved in port and now the save is loadable with no problem. (The Latest save)
But, I would still like to prevent this from happening in the near future as I would most definitely be capturing more ships..

I hope you can make something out of that and come up with any sort of wisdom regarding my problem.
I once again thank you for your help and effort!

Something is interfering with your game install. I run Win7 64 with no problems and do not need the compatibility mode.

Do you have Nero and/or Ffdshow installed? What are your hardware specs?

My specs:

Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7519
Chipset : Intel P45
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB DDR3-SDRAM
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD3200AAKS-00B3A0 ATA Device (320GB)
Monitor Type : Samsung SMBX2235 - 22 inches
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (32-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00

I do have Nero 7 installed but not this Ffdshow. Do I need to uninstall it?

Your hardware can run POTC just fine.

Yes uninstall Nero and see if it helps. Others have recently reported problems with it installed.

One last gasp idea. Delete your options file. It is in your POTC folder. A new one will be created when you start POTC and you will have to reset all of your preferences, but doing this has been known to help solve random problems.

Well it didn't help.
I thought the problem would be caused by the fact that the problematic save is in fact a quicksave, so after
a few unsuccessful loads I finally got one good load and saved the game regularly and not by clicking the F5
button, and then tried to load the new save.
The results are slightly pleasing as the new successful rate of loading without any CTD stands on 75~80 percent
for a successful load.
Even though I can manage playing the game like that, I still would be happier if the problem would have not
occurred from the first place, but I guess we tried our best mate. :onya

I thank you very much for your help and effort, and happy pirating!

Back