• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Corsairs Legacy - Behind the Scenes (First-Hand from Ukraine)

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
"Corsairs Legacy" is a pirate game project worked on in Ukraine.
On the 24th of February, @Volodymyr from Mauris made a personal Facebook post in Russian about how quickly things turned around.
Today he has also posted this to their English website for all the world to see:

As this text is by now three weeks old, I took the liberty of asking him some more questions in private.
While he did answer, he does not wish any of it to be made public.

Before the war started, Volodymyr had made many interviews with various Russian game developers;
from Akella and Seaward.Ru (the creators of the "Sea Dogs" series).
He also made many videos with a historical expert from Russia.
These can all be seen on their Russian YouTube channel.

Despite what is happening now, they are still continuing development on the game.
They have a dedicated Patreon for themselves:
Save the Pirate is creating content about games, movies, series about pirates | Patreon

For other people who wish to help, he recommends Donate to save lives in Ukraine .
He considers this a trusted efficient Ukrainian foundation.

Last edited:
Turns out the "Sea Dogs: To Each His Own" developers are affected now too.
That was a team consisting of both Ukrainian and Russian members.

There is a few posts about it still left on their Discord:

Watching the new Corsairs Legacy Dev Log today, right after asking all my questions, is especially jarring.
No mention is made of all that is happening now in the background.

All of this just strikes me as complete and utter madness.
And ultimately I just come to the same question:
Why?
WHY is all of this happening??

And how the **** can this madness possibly be countered???

It is always my great dream that this prehistoric "caveman" us-vs-them competition logic that all our histories have been based on, could one day be finally put to rest.
That one day, opponents from different sides will just simply, point-blank refuse to be opponents any longer.
It isn't unheard of. Once in a blue Monday, for short little whiles, these things can happen.
Like the Christmas Truce in World War I.
I still remember the Doctor Who episode set during this event; and seeing both sides singing together.
So for the sake of ending on a more hopeful note, I will leave you with this:

All of this just strikes me as complete and utter madness.
And ultimately I just come to the same question:
Why?
WHY is all of this happening??

And how the **** can this madness possibly be countered???
This is a perfect example. Russia is afraid that NATO, having taken over all of what used to be the Eastern Bloc, is about to move into Ukraine, right on its doorstep. That leads to anger - from Russia to Ukraine, from the EU to Russia, and in the UN, where they wouldn't even listen to what the Russians had to say. And so to hate, even between Russian and Ukrainian members of the gaming community. And suffering, the inevitable result of war.

How can it be countered? For one thing, the UN is going to have to listen to the Russians. The Ukrainian, US and European representatives can then call the Russians liars, and the Russians will probably call the Ukrainians liars as well, but there is no way peace negotiations are going to start if the UN won't even talk to the Russians. If negotiations do start, there will need to be compromises on both sides.

Back