• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confused about Combat Controls

Munchkin9

Landlubber
I don't know if this is a tip request or a techincal issue but my combat controls seemed to be incorrect from everything I am reading.

I believe that when I press left click I am supposed to swing right?
And shift+left clicking should make me parry or something like that?

For some reason this isn't what happens at all...when I left click I thrust (which my options menu tells me is right click) and when I shift-click+any button (which should get me the alternate attacks also listed on the options menu, right?) I get different combinations of slashes to the left and right of my character.

I don't know if I am missing something really obvious or if my copy is broken somehow...

I should point out that I got the installer from a friend and installed Gentlemen of Fortune 1.2 + patch 1 over it (I'm also getting some crashes but those are a separate issue that I think I can handle).

Any and all help would be very much appreciated! Been playing ACIV and it put me in the mood for a real pirate game :)

EDIT: Messed around a bit more, found that I can open doors and speak to people but I can't access any chests...definitely is something wrong with my copy...any one know what it might be?

EDIT 2: Okay I am slightly retarded. Didn't realize you had to go through the menu to access chests, figured that out. Also realized that I had posted about the combat controls thing a long time ago but I never got a response to that specific question, so that question still stands.

Last edited:
You can tailor your individual combat buttons to what functions you want in the options menu either to the mouse controls or keyboard.

MK

Sorry I forgot to mention that: I did change the controls but no matter what they don't work as they are supposed to. If I switch Alternate Attack Mode from Shift to Control or something then the new key works except that it still does the really weird attacks to the left or right. So the issues isn't with the controls themselves. It is with what they do when I press the keys compared to what they are supposed to do.

As I said there is currently no way for me to feint or parry at all. I was wondering if Gentlemen of Fortune was the cause of this. If someone has Gentlemen of Fortune and can feint/parry can they please respond with what versions they have installed?

This is the first time I've heard of this happening. Not having swordplay controls correct obviously will destroy the gameplay. There's no way you can compete with increasingly difficult opponents you will face.

I can only assume this has something to do with your version and installation. I would advise going to a fresh reinstall and trying again.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

MK

Actually that helped. That this hasn't happened before tells me that there is something wrong with the install. So I'm installing again and seeing what happens. What version of Gentlemen of Fortune do you recommend? 1.2? 2.0?

I recommend 2.0 if you like later era (late 18th century) style ships and characters. 2.0 is much more stable than 1.2.

I recommend my own mod - GOF Historical Eras Mod2 if you like the Golden Age Era ships better and want more characters and weapons/items. The only current drawback is that the main quests are currently bugged but I am making a patch that will fix it by next weekend.

MK

Okay thanks for the info (and the shameless plug ;) jk ). I honestly don't know which one I will go for. I am currently playing POTC New Horizons so I got my storylines fill there. So I might just go for just the open world-ness of your mod with more stuff :)

EDIT: I did a fresh re-install tried the game. The combat system worked as normal, I was able to parry and feint as normal. Then I installed Gentlemen of Fortune 2.0 (wanted to see if GOF was the mod causing the issue) and I played a game with a number of characters and they all did that to the side slash thing again when I tried to feint...I could try and get a picture if that would help...it really seems like something that was added on by the mod but it just doesn't make any sense for it to be. And nothing mentions it changing that, so I am really confused.

Last edited:
Back