• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Complete Sailors Guide to Privateering Mod Release

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
After much work, we are officially releasing the FULL VERSION

:dance Complete Sailors Guide to Privateering :dance

Complete Sailors Guide to Privateering

Below is the readme, complete with install instructions. Please read it :))

Much thanks goes out to DarkHymn for his coding prowess, Thargarr for contibuting a great deal to the creation of the books readability, ModernKnight, for his insight into using proper fonts, adding extra books, and directing us to excellent resources, and Pieter for guiding us through multiple areas of creation of this mod. Thanks goes out to all those who voted and added their thoughts to the Pre-Release Topic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Complete Sailor's Guide to Privateering
A mod for CoAS CMv3.1 by FireBat

1. Features
2. Requirements
3. Installation
4. Thanks and Credits

--------------------------------------------
CHANGE LOG

-All books now contain the code entries making them readable. (Darkhymn)
-Sample readable text: "North is That Way" (Thagarr)
-Title of book and map display screen now reads "Examining Document" changed from "Map analysis" (Darkhymn)
-Minor tweaks to select book descriptions. (Darkhymn)
*Fixes*
-Formerly blank Reinit button in the Options menu now displays "Reinit" text. (Darkhymn)

-Increased price of some idols and statues made obsolete by the books, in order to increase their value as loot. (Darkhymn)

-Four new books were added, bringing the total to 46. (FireBat. Basis for these books by modernknight1)

-Drop rates for tier 1 books were much too high in the initial release. Drop rates toned down considerably. (Darkhymn)
-Fixed a number of spelling and grammar errors in titles and descriptions. (Darkhymn)

0.9 (First Playable beta)
-Project name changed from "Book Mod"
-Stat bonuses removed from all items, excluding costumes. All descriptions modified to reflect this. (Darkhymn)
-42 books were added; three each for the ship and player skills. These add a potential 60 points to each skill. (Artwork, concept, and the vast majority of book titles and descriptions by FireBat. Coding, spellcheck, and select book descriptions by Darkhymn)

-Most books have been made readable with 2 pages of text

-All books have been made readable with 2 pages of text
-created alpha textures for all books
-made all books lootable

1. FEATURES

This mod adds 46 new items to Age of Pirates: City of Abandoned Ships. Previously, a number of idols and trinkets existed in the game, which arbitrarily increased the skills of the player when carried. Those bonuses have been removed. In their places are 46 books. The first 42 give bonuses to each of the fourteen ship and player skills; three books totalling 60 points per skill. The remaining four books are extremely rare works focusing on the facets of Western martial arts.

Current Features:
-46 skill books, providing a sense of greater realism.
-Increased sale values of some statues and idols, making them more attractive loot.
-Potential +60 to every skill. Melee skills can all potentially gain even more.

Upcoming Features:
-Fully readable books. These will be well presented, potentially humorous, period-accurate, and in some cases, even informative.

2. Requirements

This mod was created for CMv3.1 with Trade Overhaul Mod 1.7. Compatibility with any other configuration is unlikely.

You should have:
-Age of Pirates: City of Abandoned Ships
-Combined Mod Version 3 Patch 1
-Trade Overhaul Mod 1.7

3. INSTALLATION

Copy the RESOURCE and Program folders to your Age of Pirates: City of Abandoned Ships folder. In Windows XP, the default location is:

C:\Program Files\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2

In Windows 7, the default location is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2

A I have never willingly used Vista, I do not know where the default install directory is.

There are two versions of initItems.c included in this. Byr default, realistic spyglasses are OFF. If you would like to turn it on, you will need to rename "initItems_REALISTIC.c" to initItems.c and replace the existing file.

4. THANKS AND CREDITS
Darkhymn would like to thank FireBat for allowing him to be such a large part of this excellent mod.

Other people who have been instrumental in the development of this mod include, but are certainly not limited to:
-Pieter, who has contributed numerous excellent ideas and far too much good code that we have been unable to utilise at this stage.
-Luke159, who went so far as to release the CoAS console to us ahead of schedule to assist in our testing.
-Thagarr, who was the first to create a practical readable book texture, and who has since contributed much to discussion of fonts and textures to that end.
-modernknight1, for all of his insight and advice regarding period accuracy, from fonts to book topics and titles.

To anyone that feels that they have been left out, please tell us so. We want to give credit wherever it is due.

5. ISSUES TO BE TACKLED
-Books yet to appear randomly in store

Does this one include the change to "Chief Gunner" and "Master Gunner" FB? I didn't see that mentioned in the readme anywhere. I have downloaded it, but haven't had the time to try it out myself yet. :modding

Does this one include the change to "Chief Gunner" and "Master Gunner" FB? I didn't see that mentioned in the readme anywhere. I have downloaded it, but haven't had the time to try it out myself yet. :modding

Oh yea! Forgot about that! It sure does change the Officer type called Cannoneer to Chief Gunner :))

Alrighty!

With quite a bit of help, the Books now show up in store. The mod is working exactly how we wanted it to with tier 1 books being lootable, and tier 2 and 3 books being able to be purchased in store.

Download:
CSGtP v1.0

Congratulations, mate! Readable books... now that's something we DON'T have in the Build Mod! :onya

Something that the Build Mod hasn't already done. Ahhh, sweet originality. And the readable part was my contribution, too xD:
I'm glad to see this finally working. This was a great idea from the moment FireBat proposed it, and it only got better as we all got into it and added our own ideas and contributions. Code, content, historical background, fonts, or a bit of it all, thanks to everyone who was involved. Seriously. This is awesome.

Tho this was my idea, I am so happy the way the community got behind it and contributed great ideas. Thanks again DarkHymn with all your help with this one!

To be honest...I'm not sure. Try using the re-init button in the options menu (the button in the bottom right corner under the control options)

This is a two part answer.

This is NOT backwards save game compatible (at least with COAS Combined Mod 3.1.5 and Trade Mod 1.8)
The game will crash when trying to save the game with corrupt "bad saves".

I confirmed this using JSGME 2.5.0 with temporary swap out of files.
When I reviewed Firebat's coding, it looks as though there is a incompatibility with NPC while assigned under the character.
I have not dismissed the entire officer crew just to see if it works yet.
The games load fine, with the new items using re-init and inventory workings very well, until you try and save ANYWHERE :(

However, if you start a fresh game with a new character the save function works normally. ;)
No problems.

Follow on question.

Is there any update to make this MOD backwards compatible with save games, COAS Combined Mod 3.1.5 and Trade Mod 1.8?

It looks as the though the only way to implement this MOD is to start a new game.

As far as I know, at the moment there is no update. I haven't seen FireBat for a while mate, so I dunno if he was working on implementing save game compatibility or not. I am sure he will stop in again at some point.

If you have any ideas about the code, feel free to post them, I am sure he would appreciate it! I am no coder, so I'm afraid I won't be much help there at all. :shrug

Doesn't the Reinit button help with savegame compatibility?
If not, nothing is going to help either. :no

REINIT allows the MOD to work properly, but the save function still fails.
I validated the functionality under a new game, and it works perfectly with Trade MOD 1.8 and Combined MOD 3.1.5.

This MOD needs to be added to the Combined MOD 3.2

I still think the major problem is if you implement the MOD function so late in the game with items that NPCs own and the changes of stats, the whole thing ends up crashing the game. Its just too many changes on the critical item core files and how the items are used within the coding.

Back