• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Community Donations

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
One time in the past, for the Hearts of Oak project, we decided to accept donations.
We originally didn't want to; but after much deliberation, we caved in.

The way we handled it was that I set up a personal PayPal account.
Everybody could transfer money to that.
I kept a record of everything done in Excel.
The public version of this is still visible here:

When it became apparent that we were unable to convert any more money into the progress we promised, I stopped accepting donations.
There was still money left in the account at that time.
After much deliberation again, the other Project Managers decided to 'donate' that money to me personally.

I still feel bad about accepting that.
It wasn't my money to spend.
It was ours.

---------------------------------------------

Fast forward several years.
With @Keith's request for transferring ownership of the site, I added a "Donate" button at the top of every forum page.
This linked to a new feature of PayPal's, which I much preferred:
PiratesAhoy! Community Money Pool

The reason I prefer this "money pool" is because it is public.
Everybody can see what goes in. Everybody can see what goes out.

For over a year, nothing went in.
Then @DH27 made a donation. And I believe the second is by @JTem...?
That money has sat there, undisturbed, ever since.

It was my attention to keep it that way; at least until the domain of this website is written over to my name.
But this process is in @Keith's hands.
I cannot speed it up.
And I have no wish to pressure him.
After all, it was him who wanted the transfer in the first place.
I did not ask for it.

Unfortunately, PayPal themselves are forcing my hand.
I received an email stating that they are going to cancel that "money pool" feature as per the 8th of September.
If I do nothing, the money is going to end up transferred to my own personal account after all.

I do not want this.
It is not my money.

@DH27 and @JTem, what do you want me to do?
It is your money. And it is therefore your say.
You can have it back.
Alternatively, somebody could investigate this Open Collective that @Hammie suggested?
And how does something like "Kickstarter" or "Patreon" work anyway...?

Hi, I totally agree with what @JTem said.
The donation I made was to help keep the forum alive and well. You are free to do with my donation, whatever you decide is best for the forum.

I don't think @DH27 quite understands how "You can have it back" works.
And for that, I am very grateful! :bow

Now that the site is officially in my ownership, I guess that makes it okay for me to keep hold of the funds for now...

Another benefactor also mentioned he might be able to contribute 100 euro's per year, which is very kind as well.
But he did, understandably, ask what would be the expected expenses to keep this place running.

Of course that will depend very thoroughly on what it is we are going to be doing here.
The minimum would be $143.40 for HostGator every year as mentioned here:
Need Help - Website Hosting: Help For Future?

The actual piratesahoy.net domain is €14.78 for a 1-year renewal; with another €4.34 for "Advanced Security + Privacy Renewal" (whatever that is).
But this expires only 28 Jul 2022, so that's not an issue right now.

The bigger costs creep in once we consider the overdue upgrade to the forum software.
This will be an investment of several hundred dollars; depending on what choices we make:
Buy XenForo
We MAY be able to get away with just doing this once every few years; as I'm not 100% if continuous updates are quite required for us.

----------------------------------------

The above is basically just the bare minimum though.
I want to do better. I want to do serious.

Eventually I would love us to contribute to the success of such endeavours as:
Steun De Batavia - Batavialand
Invest - Fairtransport
Invest | EcoClipper
https://www.dykstra-na.nl/designs/wasp-ecoliner/

And that requires us going FAR above and beyond what we have EVER done before.
This would require us to start generating enough content that we can start getting in more money than we spend.
Plus I do have this faint fantasy of eventually dropping (most of?) my regular day job to focus on the future of PiratesAhoy! instead.

I wish to collaborate with professional game development studios (Skyward Digital, Salty Sea Dogs, BlackMark, Mauris, Quality Simulations, etc.)
I wish to collaborate with professional maritime organisations (MARIN, Enkhuizen Nautical Academy, Clipper Stad Amsterdam, Royal NIOZ, Nautilus, etc.)
I wish to collaborate with actual historical (maritime) musea (Amsterdam Scheepvaartmuseum, Batavialand, Casteelse Poort Wageningen, HM Frigate Unicorn, Maritime Museum Rotterdam, etc.)
I wish to collaborate with entertainment studios (UbiSoft, Disney, Amusement Hub, etc.)
I wish to collaborate with groups and organisations (United Nations, Pastafarian Church, etc.)

I can probably handle a bunch of the contacts; but of course that's going to take time to carefully arrange and negotiate.
Plus, nobody is ever going to take us seriously if we don't first start taking ourselves seriously.

We do have several valuable brands, in "PiratesAhoy!", "New Horizons", "Gentlemen of Fortune", "Hearts of Oak" and "Conquest of the Seas".
But we have a LOT of work to do before any of those might become some sort of "household name".

This means not just playing games. Not just modding games. Not just making games.
It means public relations. Writing articles. Creating videos. Maybe even advertising.
It means considering Patreon; and Kickstarter; and what have you all these days?

It means PiratesAhoy!, after 18 years, truly coming of age.

Oh... Forgot a thing.
Twice in the past year, we've had a sudden spike in interest (thanks to PC Gamer).
Twice, our website died right after because we couldn't handle the traffic.

Obviously this does NOT help our cause.
Which means we might have to consider upgrading our hosting.
And thereby increasing our yearly costs...

So, uh, should we wait with donations until this is resolved?
There's no real NEED for donations at this very instant anyway.
The first bill coming up will be end of the year.
Unless we do the forum upgrade soon.

Before that though, we really need to organise ourselves.
And for that, we need people to talk in the various new community-strategy-related threads that I've been starting lately.

We're going to need to define some sort of goals and tasks, really.
And rather than imposing my suggestions on everyone, I'd really rather discuss it together.

Oh dear... I'm confused now:

upload_2021-9-12_14-20-12.png

I do not even know how to contact this person.
And nobody needs to pay anything just to get support.
Just need to ask here somewhere... :confused:

Oh dear... I'm confused now:

View attachment 39395

I, too do not know how to contact this person, unfortunately, but I have an idea on how to prevent similar things from happening in the future.
You should put a disclaimer saying something along the lines of "For support, please visit piratesahoy.net".

Problem solved!
@Ragael had difficulties with the forum validation process (UGH! I hate when that happens; but he's definitely not the only one).
But now he's here; and he managed to get the game and mod running too.

So @Ragael, thank you very kindly for your generosity!
And welcome to the crew.
I wish you a brilliant time on the high seas. :cheers

Problem solved!
@Ragael had difficulties with the forum validation process (UGH! I hate when that happens; but he's definitely not the only one).
But now he's here; and he managed to get the game and mod running too.

So @Ragael, thank you very kindly for your generosity!
And welcome to the crew.
I wish you a brilliant time on the high seas. :cheers
hello everyone. happy to finally be here, physically. not just spiritually. felt like a ghost for a while.
would be great to have a "in case of emergency, pls contact X and Y.". i only happened to stumble upon Pieter's email adrress.
at any rate, i got some issue with the game, an not sure where to ask questions or in what way.
cheers all

As agreed with @DH27, I have just purchased a 1-year upgrade for our XenForo forum software.
Costs: 70 dollars.

PA! donation balance was 180 euro's.
Before Paypal stopped supporting "money pools".

That money has since been transferred to my personal account, but I will use it only for PA!
Next scheduled purchase will be the HostGator hosting for next year.
I assume I'll get notified that needs doing some time next month...

Hilarious timing.
Just got the email from HostGator.
They say they'll be auto-billing my payment method, which seems weird because I never gave them mine.
I'll see what that's all about next week.

Either way, they'll need $173.51 by the 28th of December.

In the meantime, it seems we need to spend another 70 euro(?) so @DH27 can keep the Portal and Wiki working also after the forum upgrade.

Just paid HostGator for our continued survival next year.
Could use 67,69 EUR from the PayPal balance (which should be what was left of the donations); and then made up the remaining 92,99 EUR myself.

Just paid HostGator for our continued survival next year.
Could use 67,69 EUR from the PayPal balance (which should be what was left of the donations); and then made up the remaining 92,99 EUR myself.
And again for the next.
Apparently I set it up to automatically do it from PayPal, so I don't need to manually do it anymore.

In the meantime, I'm thoroughly living under a rock nowadays.
Can't be bothered paying attention to anything PA! anymore.
I'm really sorry, Wished my enthusiasm were at my older levels...

What is happening here nowadays?
Who is still around?

And again for the next.
Apparently I set it up to automatically do it from PayPal, so I don't need to manually do it anymore.

Who is still around?
Good morning, I am still on board captain.

And again for the next.

Who is still around?
I mean, I am here, sometimes attempting to texture that special boat ;).
What am I saying, last time I did that was weeks ago at this point...

Back