• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Character Model - Witch Girl

SetRandomNameToCharacter doesn't work for quest characters - it specifically looks for the attribute "questchar" and does not randomise the name if that's set. You'll just have to choose a name for the alternative character if you're going to have someone different based on the cabin type.
Good call!
Alternatively, you could delete the quest character attribute, then do the function call and restore the attribute.
I have a faint memory that I added that line of code somewhere for Malcolm myself as well.
Don't know if it still works though...

Good call!
Alternatively, you could delete the quest character attribute, then do the function call and restore the attribute.
I have a faint memory that I added that line of code somewhere for Malcolm myself as well.
Don't know if it still works though...
yeah it does that in the castaway start, I copied the random name and model stuff from that, but didnt consider that the deleting the quest attribute was important too!

Here's another possible approach - rather than check for cabin type, perhaps have you keep your original ship or be stuck with the tartane depending on what you say to Malcolm / Gwen. If you say something reassuring, the crew calm down and you get to keep your ship. If you say something defiant, you're kicked off the ship and stuck with the tartane. The Rogue / Gambler start effectively does this, though it's not obvious. If you pay the jailer, you follow a path which leads you to the heavy lugger. If you wait for your crew to rescue you, you follow a different path which leads you to the fluyt. You could skip all the intermediate stuff and go straight to being given the tartane if you said the wrong thing.

SetRandomNameToCharacter doesn't work for quest characters - it specifically looks for the attribute "questchar" and does not randomise the name if that's set. You'll just have to choose a name for the alternative character if you're going to have someone different based on the cabin type.

Whether you have the tartane or a larger ship, the ship log is still normally used to say how you got it. There's nothing wrong with having the questbook tell you about the sword. I'd be inclined to define your Welsh sailor in "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\characters\init\TempQuest.c" and have him set to location "", as several other characters are, so he doesn't show up in any other FreePlay game. Then, in "StartStoryline.c", in the Morgen-specific part, put the character somewhere on Cayman. The player can then find him, talk to him, and he could say something more about how to get to the sword. Add a line to the questbook to remind the player what he said, then close down the questbook - or maybe only close it when the player has the sword.
I hadnt planned to make anything bigger than a few lines of dialog, but now Im commited!:p Ill expand the story a bit so I know how the welshman got the sword, maybe you have to persuade or pay for the information too or return the sword if you want or whatever, and it should hopefully turn into a pleasant little mini-quest xD

You've already gone well beyond a few lines of dialog to point the player in the general direction of the sword. :p But the Welshman doesn't have the sword, unless your quest removes it from the dungeon and gives it to him. Otherwise he just happens to know where it is. Maybe he plans to double-cross you after you've helped him find the sword. Or maybe he knows about some prophecy and when you get the sword, you're the One (insert title here) and he joins you as an officer.

You've already gone well beyond a few lines of dialog to point the player in the general direction of the sword. :p But the Welshman doesn't have the sword, unless your quest removes it from the dungeon and gives it to him. Otherwise he just happens to know where it is. Maybe he plans to double-cross you after you've helped him find the sword. Or maybe he knows about some prophecy and when you get the sword, you're the One (insert title here) and he joins you as an officer.
yeah I was thinking he had the sword and maybe he fell down or otherwise ended up in the dungeon and in his panicked escape he threw his sword and lost it, but I forgot to write that part so I understand it sounded like he was carrying it :eek: so maybe he has been trying to get it back, or he never had it and also came looking for the sword. gotta come up with something.. anyway, I figure if he like something for the info/the sword, or does indeed want to stab you or join you, it can make for an alright short quest xD

ya i seen her.and got her=) but witch girl is one of a kind thats what i realy like about her =)

Back