• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Changing ITEM_REALISM only takes effect on new game.

MrMister

Sailor Apprentice
Changing the ITEM_REALISM setting in InternalSettings.h will not take effect in previously existing games.

I've tested it both ways - in a Realistic Mode game I accidentally started wtih it off I would always get the bonus from an emerald as long as I had it on me or the captain's cabin chest, even after I had it on. I also got the bonus from an inca idol I found in a native raft long after I had turned it on.

I also started a new game with it on, then scrambled until I found a diamond, then turned it off and I wouldn't get its bonus.

Suggested solution: Just add "NEEDS NEW GAME TO TAKE EFFECT" to its description in InternalSettings.h.

Also, incidentally: I'vem looked through the code and seems like you guys coded it so as long as it is off (default), you'll get the bonuses in both Arcade and Realistic modes, but in Realistic mode the items' descriptions will not mention the bonuses, even though they are still in effect. Why?

Several settings in "InternalSettings.h", and some in the "Options" menu, only work if you then start a new game. The best policy is to change settings the way you want them and then start a new game. If you change a setting, continue an existing game and it actually works, consider yourself lucky!

About "Realistic" mode giving bonuses but not descriptions, that would be due to this line in "initItems.c":
Code:
if(iRealismMode>0)       genitm.skill.hidden     = true;   // PB: You do get the bonus on Realistic Game Mode, but you don't get to see it
@Pieter Boelen: any particular reason for this?

@Pieter Boelen: any particular reason for this?
Yes.
Basically, because I am evil. :whipa

But seriously, items in real life could subconsciously effect how good you are at a moment.
That wouldn't advertise itself though, would it?
So I figure some items' effects might have to be felt more intuitively.

Clearly @Black Bart and @Sulan didn't agree though, because:
Code:
  if (HasSubStr(id, "jewel") || HasSubStr(id, "indian") || HasSubStr(id, "mineral") || id == "chinatiger")
  {
    SkillBonus = iRealismMode<2 && !ITEM_REALISM;           // BB&Sulan: no bonuses - for those who like more realism, to whom a ruby does not grant any fencing skills

Exactly. You know that you're better at melee, for example - you can't physically feel your sword moving faster because there is no such physical interface to PoTC, so you see it in your stats and know your melee ability is being boosted. But you don't know exactly what is doing it.

If you really want to find out, give one of your items to an officer. It would take a lot of effort to write officer dialog so that he can then say "Hey, I bet I could patch that hole in our hull now". Instead, you look at his stats, see that his repair skill is now boosted, which means now you know that the item you just gave him is what is boosting his skill.

The result of the bonus is still displayed on your stats summary though.
True.
But the player might not know where the bonus comes from. ;)

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what's the point of this either.
But somebody added a ".hidden" attribute for skill contribution on specific items;
and if that's not actually put to use anywhere, that seems like a loss of a "perfectly" good feature to me...

If you really want to find out, give one of your items to an officer. It would take a lot of effort to write officer dialog so that he can then say "Hey, I bet I could patch that hole in our hull now". Instead, you look at his stats, see that his repair skill is now boosted, which means now you know that the item you just gave him is what is boosting his skill.
Yup.
Basically, in general play, you wouldn't know exactly what is giving you the help.
But it IS possible to figure it out; if a player were so inclined.

Back