• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Cargo for Thomas o Reily

ExtincE

Sailor Apprentice
Not sure if bug, but I'll post it here:

I talked with the store owner on Jamaica and got his quest to bring goods to the store owner on Martinique (Cargo for Thomas o Reily) (build 14, latest fix archive, build version 18-12-18) in Free Play mode.
I'm neutral with all factions, except pirates
I have 3 ships, all only having cannonballs rum food cloth and planks, all with 800+ space free at moment of accepting the quest.
I successfully persuaded him to pay 2000 gold rather than 1500 for it.

After accepting the quest, I asked if he had any work and got a regular cargo quest as well, as it had to go to guadelope which is of course on the route.

When I arrive on Martinique I have no option to mention any goods from Thomas to the store owner. I checked my cargo hold and noticed that I simply dont have any cargo that can be from Thomas. It would appear that I got the quest but never got the cargo.

Is it known what goods you are supposed to deliver in the first place, so I can just buy the required amount and go back to martinique store as a workaround?

Possibly relevant sidenote: france and england are not at war with each other, nor were they when I accepted the quest. I encountered no storms in between and had no fights, so cargo cant have been lost.

@ExtincE, do you have any clue if you DID have the cargo before you accepted that second quest?

In theory, quest cargo should be safe from being lost in the first place.
But I think that applies only to "common repeatable quests" and probably not that sidequest...

Thomas O'Reily should have given you 200 units of silk. Arnaud Matton won't have the option for the cargo delivery quest unless you have the 200 silk. It may be divided among other ships in your fleet if your own ship doesn't have enough room by itself. Silk weighs 4 per unit, so if you have 800 space then you have just enough.

Did you notice what cargo your ships had immediately after taking the cargo quest? Or do you have a savegame from after you finished talking to Thomas O'Reily and before you arrived at Guadeloupe?

What is your status with France? Is France friendly, neutral or hostile to you personally? Does Arnaud tell you to get out or he'll call the guards?

I'm neutral to all factions, aside from Pirates, which are hostile.

By the time I got to Martinique I had already overwritten and/or removed the savefiles from before accepting the Thomas O Reilly quest. I did however had one save just after delivering the general Cargo, also received from Tomas, to Guadeloupe, and reloaded that one. There was no Silk in my inventory, or any other cargo aside from the usual amount of cannonballs, planks, sailcloth, food and rum I deck my ships out with.

Perhaps I have accidentally pressed the 'Sell All' button with the store owner in Guadeloupe. I have never ever used that button deliberately, but I suppose I can have pressed it by accident with the quest cargo not being exempted from it?

I will try buying a load of silk and see if I can finish the quest that way. I hope that works, just as it does with general cargo quests. Sadly, unlike with cargo quests, it doesn't specify what good was meant to be delivered to Arnaud or how much of it, but @Grey Roger has answered that question now :)

There's nothing special about the silk which Thomas gives you to take to Arnaud. So if you did press "Sell All", it would have been sold like any other silk. You should be able to complete the quest by buying silk - in fact, you might even be able to buy it from Arnaud, then give it back to him to complete the quest. xD

I can confirm that the Thomas O'Reilly quest does not list in the quest book what the cargo is. As my purser sold one unit of silk to buy something I had some time trying to work out why Arnaud Matton wasn't letting me give him his cargo!

This ought to fix the problem. The questbook now shows what Thomas has given you. Additionally, "Thomas O'Reily_dialog.c" now sets two attributes for the type and amount of cargo, and "Arnaud Matton_dialog.c" checks them. That was originally supposed to be future-proofing in case cargo lists change and we want to have a different type or amount of cargo; all you need to do is change a couple of lines in "Thomas O'Reily_dialog.c". In fact, the values may change rather soon because I then thought about what you're transporting... Also a slight correction to "Thomas O'Reily_dialog.h" because there's one line where he gets Arnaud's name wrong.

Thomas O'Reily has to be the worst trader in the Caribbean. He pays you to transport silk from Jamaica to Martinique. Silk is an import on Jamaica and an export on Martinique! When you've delivered it, buy 200 units of silk from Arnaud Matton, bring it to Jamaica, and sell it back to Thomas O'Reily. xD Or we can make use of the variable cargo and change it to something which makes more sense. The main problem is that Jamaica doesn't have any worthwhile exports and none of them are imports on Martinique. Rum works reasonably well, provided you're careful to have enough stocks of your own that the crew doesn't drink Thomas' cargo on the way there. Otherwise I'm open to suggestions for something sensible for Thomas O'Reily to send to Martinique.

Attachments

• thomas_cargo_fix.zip
    19.2 KB · Views: 281
Thank you for this. A real boon.

A subsequent issue I've had with Mr O'Reilly has to do with the Blacque family. I met Marc Blacque and agreed to talk to O'Reilly about his ransom, but hadn't completed the Arnaud Matton quest beforehand as I'd just got back from Martinique. I tell O'Reilly that Matton has his cargo, and then there's no option to talk about Blacque. Marc Blacque just says 'good day' when I talk to him and the quest book says 'talk to Thomas O'Reilly' so it seems I'm stuck.

Do you have a savegame from shortly before you talk to Thomas O'Reily about his mission or about Marc Blacque? I've an idea on how to fix this and such a savegame would allow me to test it quickly.

Otherwise, the quick workaround is probably to talk about Marc Blacque before you report completion of the delivery.

Here you are. I have gone back and made another. The save is in the store after offering to pay Marc Blacque's ransom, but before telling O'Reilly about Blacque or Matton's delivery.

An aside: Having told Matton that I'd taken his girl to San Juan, and given him the letter, he mentions 'other business'. However, asking what that is just leads to '...' and the conversation ends. Is this a 'Build' added bonus that hasn't been finished, or was it in the original game?

Aside 2: O'Reilly offers to put the 2000 gold on account, but this option is not available to me and I can only say I need it now.

Attachments

• -=Eustace Plums=- Jamaica. Port Royale store December 12th, 1751.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 204
Thomas O'Reily: try this version of his dialog file. It goes into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS". The original version changed something when you have told Marc that you'll take him home and you then talk to Thomas, which meant you had to talk about Marc right away, otherwise the change happened and Thomas was no longer primed to give the option about Marc. I've moved the change to happen after you first talk to Thomas about Marc, so it doesn't happen if you talk about anything else. A quick test shows that it seems to work; I can tell Thomas that I've delivered the cargo, then talk about one of his workers (Marc), which then leads to the usual part about paying Thomas and going outside to tell Marc to go to my ship.

Aside 1: That does appear to be something unfinished. "Arnaud Matton_dialog.c" contains a section with comments titling it as "TRADE GUILD QUEST", but all that is in there is the code for the "..." lines. I've no idea if it was in the original game - certainly there were numerous things in the original which were either not finished or not properly debugged due to having to finish the game quickly enough for the film tie-in, some of which have been finished or debugged in the mod. There's also a lot of stuff about another quest to deliver cargo for Arnaud back to Port Royale, which does not appear to be triggered anywhere and does not appear to be tied to "Trade Guild Quest".

Aside 2: there does not appear to be any unused dialog about investing the money. So you can take that as Thomas trying to do something dodgy with the money, and you're smart enough to refuse and to demand that he pays what he owes you.

Attachments

• Thomas O'Reily_dialog.c
    23.6 KB · Views: 227
Back