• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Captured ship turns hostile when I leave port

I captured a Portuguese frigate out at sea. I brought it back to Grand Turk after chaning my flag to a pirate flag. At Grand Turk I bought another frigate. Before I leave port I can see I own 3 ships: 2 frigates and a Xebec. When I leave the port, the captured frigate immediatly turns hostile, flying the Portuguese flag, naturally the fort and my other frigate immediately open fire on it. It doesn't appear in the list of ships I own, only my Xebec and the other frigate I bought. It's not a morale problem, as before I launch I can see all 3 ships have excellent morale. Strangely, if I swap ships and command the captured frigate myself, my original ship spawns as a hostile Portuguese ship. What's happening?

Maybe the captain has a wildly contrasting reputation from yourself?
If so, could be the ship is mutinying.

Check also crew morale.

I swapped out the captain with another officer. Now the ship spawns with a pirate flag and I still own it, just like all my other ships, but now the pirate fort at Grand Turk turns hostile to all 3 of my ships as soon as we leave port. I still have the pirate flag equipped from when I arrived. The fort didn't fire on any of mys ships then.

I noticed the old captain's reputation was "horror of the high seas". As an experiment, I made him captain of the other Frigate that I bought. When I leave port, the purchased frigate with the problem captain spawned with a French flag, and the captured frigate was friendly and had a pirate flag. But the fort still fired on the captured frigate, not the frigate with the enemy French flag. WTF?!?

I checked morale again. Still excellent on all 3 ships.

I fired the "horror of the high seas" officer. Didn't change anything.

I've done a bit more experimenting. It seems the ONLY way I can leave port safely is if I sell ALL of my ships and buy a brand new one. Other wise the Grand Turk fort opens fire. I'm flying a pirate flag and my pirate reputation is 95!

Last edited:
OK, I figured it out. I berthed all 3 of my ships. Then left port in a newly purchased ship. I then returned to port, sold the new ship, and unberthed my 3 original ships. Now I'm safe!

Back