• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Cannot Hoist Sails After Capturing Ship

morgan terror

Magnificent bastard
Storm Modder
Public Relations
This one is somewhat gamebreaking, so i actually suspect it may have been fixed after build 14 beta 3.3, in which i encountered it. If not though, this really needs some attention:

Whenever i capture a ship and choose to swap ships, i can no longer operate my sails. Also disabled is the effect dumping cargo overboard has on my ship's speed (which i am certain of. The captured ship had a full hold, which i emptied by 2/3rd. It had no effect until i could reload the game. Weather conditions were the same, but my speed more than doubled). The first part of this bug is the nastiest. On my initial attempt i ended up stuck in furled sails mode, remaining a sitting duck to the rest of the pirates. I could still steer though, and operate my guns. Trying to operate my sails through the command menu did nothing. Interestingly, sunken ships were properly attributed to me, the owner of the vessel, so the game did have it's facts straight in that regard.

I think this may be connected to some other issues as well. The game tends to get confused regarding what my sails are currently set as whenever i load a savegame at sea, though this might only be when my sails are furled. If i remember currectly, my sails were furled while the game thought i was at full sail. Pressing S twice and then trying to set my sails afterwards resolved that particular issue.

I do believe that issue has been resolved. There were some comments on that some time ago but have not heard anything about it in a while.

I know how that normally happens and there is quite a bit of code in place to prevent that.
Can't remember if any new updates were made to that after the latest public release though.

I suppose i should put this complaint on hold until after i'm playing the latest release then. There's a good chance of it being fixed, since i haven't seen any reports of this bug in the publicly accessible forums, but we aren't getting many bug reports from the peasantry anyway right now. :diomed

Of course there is no feedback from the peasants about 3.4 as it is unplayable. I refused to play it and only started playing POTC again when 4 got fixed a month or two ago.

Well, that doesn't really get us anywhere. What are your experiences with capturing and swapping ships in the newer versions then? Had any?

All I can say is this: If anyone manages to replicate this one in the Beta 4 base, give me a savegame!
People occasionally reported this before, but especially for this one, no save = no fix.
I NEED that save to check the exact cause. I know where to look for it and I could probably solve it in no-time.
But only if I have that savegame that is affected by it. Until that time, there is nothing that can be done.

All I can say is this: If anyone manages to replicate this one in the Beta 4 base, give me a savegame!
People occasionally reported this before, but especially for this one, no save = no fix.
I NEED that save to check the exact cause. I know where to look for it and I could probably solve it in no-time.
But only if I have that savegame that is affected by it. Until that time, there is nothing that can be done.

Yeah, that's the thing: Savegames aren't affected by it. It's resolved as soon as you load the savegame. I could try to give you a savegame where're you're about to get into combat though, once it shows up. I don't have one at this very moment.

I have had no isues for a while now. I only remember it happening some time in the past.

Yeah, that's the thing: Savegames aren't affected by it. It's resolved as soon as you load the savegame. I could try to give you a savegame where're you're about to get into combat though, once it shows up. I don't have one at this very moment.
In that case, I'd need to know EXACTLY how you trigger it.

Or if it happens again, execute ONE of these lines through code:
Code:
    DeleteAttribute(rCharacter, "Ship.Sink");       // PB: To make sure this is gone
OR:
Code:
     DeleteAttribute(rCharacter, "Ship.Sails.Delay");   // PB: To make sure this is gone
One of the two should solve the problem, but it'll be interesting to know which of them.
Then I'd need to know exactly how you gained control of that ship to ensure the required line is executed when you do that.

In that case, I'd need to know EXACTLY how you trigger it.

I pretty much described it in the opening post, although i suppose i could do some more checking to see if it happens when you keep command of your own ship as well.

Or if it happens again, execute ONE of these lines through code:
Code:
    DeleteAttribute(rCharacter, "Ship.Sink");       // PB: To make sure this is gone
OR:
Code:
     DeleteAttribute(rCharacter, "Ship.Sails.Delay");   // PB: To make sure this is gone
One of the two should solve the problem, but it'll be interesting to know which of them.
Then I'd need to know exactly how you gained control of that ship to ensure the required line is executed when you do that.

Allright. How do i do this?

Allright. How do i do this?
See here point 4 on how to use the console: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!

I pretty much described it in the opening post, although i suppose i could do some more checking to see if it happens when you keep command of your own ship as well.
Re-reading your post suggests that it shouldn't be the "Sail Delay" one, which would make it the "Ship.Sink" attribute.
But this is exactly why the following code in PROGRAM\INTERFACE\transfer_main.c exists:
Code:
  // PB: To make sure this is gone -->
   DeleteAttribute(MainChar, "Ship.Sink");
   DeleteAttribute(MainChar, "Ship.Sails.Delay");
   // PB: To make sure this is gone <--
Maybe for some reason, that code never executes for you?
Odd though, because it is in 'CheckMaxShipClassYes' which should be executed whenever you swap ships.
Maybe you can double-check your copy of that file to check if you DO indeed have those line?
If not, that proves you don't have the necessary fix and it should be OK in the Beta 4 base.

See here point 4 on how to use the console: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!

Re-reading your post suggests that it shouldn't be the "Sail Delay" one, which would make it the "Ship.Sink" attribute.
But this is exactly why the following code in PROGRAM\INTERFACE\transfer_main.c exists:
Code:
  // PB: To make sure this is gone -->
   DeleteAttribute(MainChar, "Ship.Sink");
   DeleteAttribute(MainChar, "Ship.Sails.Delay");
   // PB: To make sure this is gone <--
Maybe for some reason, that code never executes for you?
Odd though, because it is in 'CheckMaxShipClassYes' which should be executed whenever you swap ships.
Maybe you can double-check your copy of that file to check if you DO indeed have those line?
If not, that proves you don't have the necessary fix and it should be OK in the Beta 4 base.

I've checked all over that file, and i do indeed not have that code. I suppose i should mark this topic as 'fixed' then. Sorry about that. I've giving you a fair bit of work for nothing. I suppose it serves as a checkup then, if nothing else.

Back