• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannons will not fire - advice for AoP2 noob

amiserable

Landlubber
Hello you Piratey Gods Avast! ect. ahem -- guys, I am a total noob. That said, pls take pity on said noob. I thank you, sirs and / or madams.

After being harassed by a co-worker for months on the awesome saucy-ness of Age of Pirates 2, I finally bought it and fired it up. He told me it was basically unplayable without a patch, and he raves about your combined mod 3, so I just went ahead and installed that as well (thus I have no idea what the un-patched version is like).

I've just started playing, and I can see why he loves this game. I too, am smitten by it. However, I have a problem. My cannons will NOT fire in a battle.

I've re-mapped them, and tried and tried. read the manual, looked thru many FAQs, but I can not find a reason. Everything else works so well, I find it very difficult to believe something is wrong with the mod or even the buggy game.

Could it be that you MUST have a cannoner assigned as an officer for the cannons to fire on your ship? I have no officers, and can not seem to assign myself to the roll.

Okay, lets move to the most stupid, noobest question of the week : Do you require a cannoner assigned as a ship's officer for your cannons to fire? I have the cannons loaded, I am point-blank abeam a ship, cannons pointed right at him, plenty of powder and crew.....clicky-click and no bang-bang. Any ideas, sirs?

With this, I bow, certain of winning the greatest and most stupid noob question of the week.
I thank you, sirrahs.

No need for a cannoneer, but you need gunpowder to be able to fire them, you can buy the powder at the store.

Cheers, :cheers

When you're just starting out the auto fire function is very sporadic in third person ship view. If you go to deck view (first person) and fire manually using your aiming reticle, once it turns red, you will be able to fire. I advise you to avoid battle as much as possible until you level up a few levels from delivering goods on merchant missions, fighting skeletons in caves and transporting passengers. Once you are between level 5 and 10 depending on difficulty and you have a decent canoneer, autofire from third person will work if your broadside is facing the enemy and you click your mouse.

Happy Pirating and welcome aboard matey. :onya

MK

Thanks for the quick answers from those who know.

I do have gunpowder, plenty of it. So it appears in third-person (and you are just starting out) they just will not fire.

I can see there is a lot more to this game than I thought. Thanks again to the responses, and I will take your advice to heart.
cheers.

If you still have problem fireing, check the keybord mapping in the option menu. Maybe the keybinding for fireing as been remove somehow. I know that the option menu do weird things once in a while, maybe the problem is there.

Cheers, :cheers

Hello mate,

Please don't take the wrong way, but are the cannons loaded? Had this happen the other day when starting a new campaign. I had none of the default ammunition on board. When I changed to ammunition that I had cannons loaded. Also Auto fire does not work unless you have an enemy target.

Hello mate,

Please don't take the wrong way, but are the cannons loaded? Had this happen the other day when starting a new campaign. I had none of the default ammunition on board. When I changed to ammunition that I had cannons loaded. Also Auto fire does not work unless you have an enemy target.

no fears, all replies appreciated mon ami. Yes, I had ammo and powder. I think the above answers are probably correct -- I had no gunner assigned, and just did not have the ability to fire outside of 1st person mode (not that I tried that then, not knowing about it).

Since, I retried the game as Peter Blood, who - when he finally escapes being a slave - begins the game with to awesome NPC companions, a navigator and a cannoneer. Now I clicky-click, and I get a very pleasing Boomdity-boom (sorry for the Pirate technical talk).

Thanks all and cheers..

Good to hear you got it figured out.

The Peter Blood campaign is pretty good. I used the advice posted somewhere on this site about capturing something smaller and taking command of the smaller ship until I got the Peter Blood character to a high enough level to not be penalized for commanding a ship above the characters skill level.

Enjoy,
Greg.

Back