• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can i talk abot New Horizons on maelstrom here?

STARk7

Sailor
Basically I started playing NH on maelstrom engine and I'm wondering if it's ok to make threads here abot mod and talk about stuff.

I don't see why not. Feel free to discuss it.

If you want to ask Maelstrom-specific questions though, keep in mind we may not have many answers.

Nice, I wanted to ask if vision is changed recently or something I can see ship info from much far away now than before, could that be because of engine? I really liked it before it was very realistic

I wanted to ask if vision is changed recently or something I can see ship info from much far away now than before, could that be because of engine?
Spyglass info, you mean?
Beats me; but sounds unlikely.
There's regular PROGRAM code that should be controlling those distances per spyglass.

Spyglass info, you mean?
Beats me; but sounds unlikely.
There's regular PROGRAM code that should be controlling those distances per spyglass.
Yeah, it's different than before, right now it's: if u see the ship u see the nation and tier as well no matter how far they are

Yeah, it's different than before, right now it's: if u see the ship u see the nation and tier as well no matter how far they are
Difference between Arcade and Realistic Game Mode, perhaps?

For porting New Horizons to the StormX engine, I had to disable the spyglass code for now (as it was crashing).

I'm quite certain the Maelstrom team would have had the same problem and they probably modified the code to fix it.

Can't say much more until I actually get around to that part myself.

Ok I'm a bit confused. From what I gathered, Maelstrom is a remake of the Storm engine, made by a team that is not from this forum (?)
And more, the engine is not complete yet.
What I don't understand is why is it paid? I'm sure a lot of work has been put into it, but still it doesn't quite make sense in my head.

Maelstrom is a remake of the Storm engine
Not quite a full remake. It's based on the CoAS Storm 2.8 source code.

made by a team that is not from this forum
Maelstrom is by @ChezJfrey from Buccaneer's Reef.
The "New Horizons" Maelstrom adaption is also by members of the Buccaneer's Reef.

And more, the engine is not complete yet.
I think for ERAS2, it is effectively complete.
But occasionally updates are still made by @ChezJfrey, as needed.

What I don't understand is why is it paid? I'm sure a lot of work has been put into it, but still it doesn't quite make sense in my head.
You are not alone in feeling that way.
Not alone at all...

For porting New Horizons to the StormX engine, I had to disable the spyglass code for now (as it was crashing).

I'm quite certain the Maelstrom team would have had the same problem and they probably modified the code to fix it.

Can't say much more until I actually get around to that part myself.
Does vision of ai change depending on fog,night, moonlight, in storm... like in original?

As @Hammie explained, we had difficulties in porting the original spyglass. It simply didn't want to work with Maelstrom engine. So we ported the COAS spyglass, and that's why it doesn't behave like the one in old New Horizons. It's just an engine incompatibility. I'm sure it can be done to look exactly like old New Horizons, but I don't have coding skills to do that.

@FatorNerd asked why is it paid? It is paid because you get to play the massive Eras II mod that is made particularly for Maelstrom. Being able to play New Horizons on Maelstrom is just a coincidence and @ChezJfrey and my good will. I together with some other people from Buccanner's Reef have put a lot of effort into this mod just because I love it. I'm currently finishing the weather system which will be done for good, and after that I will do other refinements. It goes slowly cause I'm again the only one working on it, and I have a life to live as well :)

As @Hammie explained, we had difficulties in porting the original spyglass. It simply didn't want to work with Maelstrom engine. So we ported the COAS spyglass, and that's why it doesn't behave like the one in old New Horizons. It's just an engine incompatibility. I'm sure it can be done to look exactly like old New Horizons, but I don't have coding skills to do that.

@FatorNerd asked why is it paid? It is paid because you get to play the massive Eras II mod that is made particularly for Maelstrom. Being able to play New Horizons on Maelstrom is just a coincidence and @ChezJfrey and my good will. I together with some other people from Buccanner's Reef have put a lot of effort into this mod just because I love it. I'm currently finishing the weather system which will be done for good, and after that I will do other refinements. It goes slowly cause I'm again the only one working on it, and I have a life to live as well
Why not put a price on mod instead?

Why not put a price on mod instead?

The engine is worth 100 times more than the mod. Thus, MK never wanted to sell the mod. On the other hand, in that engine Jeffrey has put strong 4 years of development, cause I have been following Maelstrom's progress. He ported it from DX 8 to DX9 and made it rock solid. I have played Maelstrom for hundreds of hours, never had any engine related crashes.

@FatorNerd asked why is it paid? It is paid because you get to play the massive Eras II mod that is made particularly for Maelstrom. Being able to play New Horizons on Maelstrom is just a coincidence and @ChezJfrey and my good will. I together with some other people from Buccanner's Reef have put a lot of effort into this mod just because I love it. I'm currently finishing the weather system which will be done for good, and after that I will do other refinements. It goes slowly cause I'm again the only one working on it, and I have a life to live as well :)
why is it only on itch.io and not on steamm for example? genuine question

Back