• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

calms seas

mrpirate101

Landlubber
hi huys im sick of the rough seas i seam to sail on all the goddam time, does anyone know how to get calm smooth seas all the time. it's get kind of annoying when in a fight or just plain sailing.
what files control the seas roughness or smoothness, during storms or a nice sunny day.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you encounter Atlantic rollers all the time? That might be a bit extreme, to say the least. And yes there are script files that control the weather but I'm playing the wrong game to directly intervene (POTC here)

I would suggest looking in any files located in the following folders.

Age of Pirates 2\Program\Weather
Age of Pirates 2\Program\Weather\init

Also worth looking at are AISea.C and sea.C lacated in Age of Pirates 2\Program\SEA_AI

There could be more files but thats where i would start, hopefully these are all the files you'll need. Perhaps someone else who has worked on weather or knows about the files will explain better what area's of what files you need to edit but if not good luck and hope to hear good news because the rough sea does get annoying, if there is no look then you can use a [ to bring the time back or ] to advance the time which also changes the weather. :onya

There's probably some MaxSeaHeight code in there somewhere.
Search the PROGRAM folder for that and see what you find.

Ok useing the term MaxSeaHeight i have found the follwong files to look.

Age of Pirates 2\Program\SEA_AI
sea.C has
AIAbordage.C[
AISea.C
Cabin.C
AIShip.C

Age of Pirates 2\Program\INTERFACE
interface.C
mainmenu.C

Age of Pirates 2\Program\Locations
locations_loader.C

Age of Pirates 2\Program\Weather
WhrSea.C
WhrWeather.C

I haven't been through every single folder but there are alot of files and many of the files have more than 1 entery, i figure MaxSeaHeight = 50 is for a roughish sea so isn't that bad its the other one MaxSeaHeight = 200 that is the true max hight which if lowered should hopefully mean lower waves and not waves that you can hide behind as is the case at the moment.

I would look for the minimum sea hight and then recalculate the hight from that so if for example the minimum sea hight was 0.0 and as we know the maximum sea hight is 200 then i would halve that to 100 and see what the changes are like then increase by 25 till i'm close to what i think the high should be.

Pieter what is the sea like in the real caribbean, is it rough or mostly calm?

Caribbean? Usually quite calm, except during the hurrican season.
And even then there's usually islands in the way that prevent the waves becoming too high.
You might get a fair bit of swell from the Atlantic sometimes, but it's never really huge.

So having waves that you can hide behind is very much unrealistic and charteristic of the caribbean then, so the sea hight does need fixing. Do you know if there will be any negatives to lowering the sea hight?

Waves you can HIDE behind? Can you show a screenshot of that? That sounds INSANE! :shock

Don't think it should cause much of a problem if you just lower the maximum value.
Do you know how the actual sea heigh value is calculated?
Might need to change that too so lower sea states would be more common.

Yep here's a picture of the ship hiding behind a wave.:p

[attachment=4371:untitled.JPG]

I can try and edit some sea hight codes and see what the resaults are.

Holy C-R-*-P! Never seen anything even remotely resembling that in the real Caribbean
And then with clear blue skies and apparent non-stormy weather? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? :shock

LOL, nope its no joke thats the caribbean in COAS with normal weather and here are a few pictures.

Let me know if you want a second opinion on your code Luke, i'm tired of those too... i was thinking that maybe what you want to lower is wave height instead of sea height... for the latter sounds more like shoreline level to me...

play with amp1 in program/weather/init

u got amptitud for every hour ingame

Weathers[n].Sea2.Amp1 = 4.0; - (+ gives highter sea at ship area u can notice this at town port while ur on ship - if it hight it will go into city on island)
Weathers[n].Sea2.AnimSpeed1 = 1.0; - (u dont need touch this leave it random)
Weathers[n].Sea2.Scale1 = 0.4; - ( + gives bigger waves also depend on amp1 if amp1 is high then wave will use its high)
Weathers[n].Sea2.MoveSpeed1 = "2.0, 0.0, 0.0"; - (u dont need this leave it on random)

dont mess with amp2 :no

if u want i can make default coas weather with calm sea?

play with amp1 in program/weather/init

u got amptitud for every hour ingame

Weathers[n].Sea2.Amp1 = 4.0; - (+ gives highter sea at ship area u can notice this at town port while ur on ship - if it hight it will go into city on island)
Weathers[n].Sea2.AnimSpeed1 = 1.0; - (u dont need touch this leave it random)
Weathers[n].Sea2.Scale1 = 0.4; - ( + gives bigger waves also depend on amp1 if amp1 is high then wave will use its high)
Weathers[n].Sea2.MoveSpeed1 = "2.0, 0.0, 0.0"; - (u dont need this leave it on random)

dont mess with amp2 :no

if u want i can make default coas weather with calm sea?

I know its a late reply to this but yes a more calmer sea is alway's welcome and much needed, those waves are just to dramatically unrealistic and pointless. The current state of the sea makes most ships look like they are sinking and to be honest i don't see why the waves should be so high.

Back