• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bye -12 month absence notice

splat

Powder Monkey
Sadly time is an issue for me.
I have done too little to be in this team for now besides im un happy due to the engine change and it wasn't easy for me to learn the new stuff.
im not leaving for good unless the admins decide that's best however I may return after a year maybe two or three but for now its goodbye and im going to return to my old mod.
I have faith in the team to continue without me and feel embarrassed I could not do better to try and fit into the group, however I felt excluded and am left second guessing every object I submit to the ftp or attach onto a thread.
as such im off to work in sage 2 doing mods - sail 7 seas ,fon and tiberian secrets./returning to the past projects that I ceased to work here however spent too much time learning udk and not enough producing assets of good craftsmanship.(those I did produce were deleted by other users or admin none actually told me and as such that was a determining factor in my future absence and it is not 100% I am returning to hearts of oak )
farewell pirates ahoy and goodluck making hearts of oak I would surely love to see it finished and if I return it will be in a better frame of mind with more animation and coding experiences.

those I did produce were deleted by other users or admin none actually told me and as such that was a determining factor in my future absence
I really have not the foggiest what happened there or who could have done it. Pretty sure it wasn't done on purpose.
Do you have any more details on that? I'm quite curious. o_O

a sound folder with sound clips that were unwanted , some fbx models in dropbox and about 200 odd texture files all deleted from dropbox with some later note that only udk tutorials were to be added to that folder.
As for the models I have added very few ever got looked at much less used or commented on, I can only guess at who deleted things and that's not good enough , don't get me wrong delete stuff I upload and explain why that occurred to me directly that person would have found me grateful and this post would not seem as bitter ,
model making and games are meant to be my stress relief with this in mind im off to work on projects that I am either in charge of or at the least wanted and accepted by team members.
Truthfully though the reason which is most pressing is not and never was deletion accidental or otherwise of textures and models I submitted .
It was the hours and months of getting to grips with udk interface understanding bsp placement how to add in my materials and how to animate in udk , then to setup half a dozen models to work with udk with textures working in udk ,,, only to have the engine dropped.... and now we are in deep lusty with crisis .. which oddly I have attempted to work with before and failed miserably there is also rumors of ogre .. I cannot redo the learning curve half a dozen times my brain will hurt and I would rather add content when you have stuff that can be analysed and followed to create new content within rough guidelines such as polygonal limits , how many lod settings we are aiming for and of course all this is easier once you commit to an engine , while you spent time to decide I was offered a secondary role and also realised I could with great difficulty finish a long haul project that I put on hold to come help hearts of oak , in short I like this project im sure this crew will finish the game with or without me , however im also sure I don't want to work on setting up specific models in say crisis then refix it for ogre then refix the same model for some other engine like hero engine or udk or darkbasic or c++ custom engine using source or torque or whatever.
Point in fact I also understand a lot more stuff should have been animated and completed fully by myself at the least then what I actually did , this was in fact due to the slow learning rate I had with udk as I struggled to get models showing up in game as I wanted and I had no idea how the lod was supposed to be done or setup for the model.
I don't doubt I can learn this when the engine has been selected even if it turns out to be crysis but im not going to risk wasting another year or 6 months learning new engines that wont be used please accept my apologies' if you feel messed about however I have decided to finish old stuff first due in larger part to unskilled workmanship + nothing to refer to = total and utter crap produced.

What Dropbox account was that anyway? I am only aware of us using the FTP for sharing stuff.

IIRC, Computica set up a Dropbox for tutorials. Perhaps that is where the problem is. If storage is needed I can clean out my Dropbox, but the FTP is the best place to store shared files.

As I said before, I was not aware that anyone had deleted your files from a Dropbox account, so don't hold that against us.
And nobody ever said you were given a "secondary role", nor did we demand that you hold back on your own projects to work entirely on this one.

Once more, I apologise that we switched engines after you spent good time learning how to use UDK, and it was wrong for us to "commit" to it in the first place.
However, remember that no-one ever forced you to learn all that stuff. You did so on your own choosing. And remember that what you learnt can be used for other things in future.
So please, if you don't like that way we work, then carry on with what you like doing and stop taking it out on us.

Good luck with your own endeavours, and know that your work will not be used without giving you credit.

Back