• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 12th January 2024]

I wanted to ask however, is there a method to play the original story mode through the New Horizons mod?
As others have said, there is. However, be mindful that with the balance changes of NH, the difficulty of the naval encounters the storyline forces you into ramps up quite a bit, specially fighting a fort, and that building up (and mantaining) a high-tier fleet to face these encounters is also a harder and lengthier process.

That said, some personal recommendations: play in Realism Mode but go InternalSettings.h and enable the following variables there: OPEN_SEA_MOD and WORLDMAP_DISABLED, and try out NH's DirectSail. I myself love it and will never go back to using the worldmap.

Also enable ITEM_REALISM (books and tools give you enough of a stat boost that you don't need silly bonuses from jewelry) and SIDESTEP_ENABLED (at the very end of the file; makes navigating some towns so much more convenient; just mind that if there's any floor level above you you'll teleport to it. Handy as an instant elevator in taverns!).

Attachments

• fixes.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 80
Hey, Grey Roger, I just decided to come back to my childhood games and I am amazed with all the work that ve been done. What are your plans for development? Are we close to the final product? I'm asking because I don't know whether to wait or play now and replay when it is final in some years. I ve noticed most of mods work with Maelstrom engine, is this the case? Big thanks for keeping my favorite game alive!

Development depends on people writing new material or figuring out how to fix bugs. This is an ongoing process - as long as people are interested in "New Horizons", there will probably continue to be further development. It can only become "final" when nobody is interested any more, which hopefully will not be for a long time!

I don't have Maelstrom, therefore have no idea what does or does not work with it.

That's really nice to hear! Could you add a permanent death option? I love when game have perm death and I feel I should play carefully. I know I could just delete saves when I die but I never have a motivation to do that and rather cheat and pretend that death did not happen.

There's already a permanent death option! In the main menu, click on "Options". One of the options you can set there is "Survival Chance", which is set to 40 by default. Change that to 130 and you'll never resurrect when you die.

Beyond that, your only choice is indeed to start a new game when you die. If you start again with the same storyline and don't change the profile name, it will automatically wipe your previous game, with all its saves, before starting a new one.

One final update for 2022:
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_211222.zip

New to this one:
. @Baste has tidied up the background textures for dialogs, especially for those who prefer the blue interface scheme;
. @Rider88, already responsible for such masterpieces as the Castell Friedrichsburg brigantine and the Neptunus sloop of war, has done it again with the Privateer Lugger:
sp_luggerp.jpg
. @HellSailor has updated the Ship Stats and Recognition Guide to include the aforementioned privateer lugger;
. @Homo eructus has done some more translating for Spanish-speaking players;
. @Flannery has composed a pair of new soundtracks in honour of the late, great, @Captain Murphy (go and see the original music videos here), and you'll be able to hear them in game if you find a new, hidden location:
murphy_house_inside.jpg

Edit: link updated to a newer version containing @Jack Rackham's additions.

Last edited:
Here. It's three more places that have got proper walk patches now:
Redmond terrace, Vane's church attic and the galleons quarterdeck.
Also a fix in Goldbug: Legrand´s hut outside chimney smoke only when inside fire is on.

Attachments

• WR reworked2 6648 22-12-21.7z
    662.2 KB · Views: 63
Evening, gents. It has been some time since I last dropped in here to chat [to the order of about a decade. If PA.net was land, I'd be a figurative Davy Jones :p]

In any case, I haven't been completely out of the loop here. I reinstalled PoTC a year and change ago, before an MA degree programme forced me to leave my PC behind for a bit. At some point, either before or after that, I installed the Build14 Final modpack onto the game [gosh that feels weird to say. It was Build12 before my hiatus xD].

In any case, to cut a long story short, modpack is still installed. I want to update to Gamma. Can I just install over the existing one, or do I need a clean install of the game? My BD-RW drive is dead so I will have to go hunting for an online install of the game if it needs a fresh installation.

I hope someone here has the time to drop me a response, and I'd be very grateful of any help that can be provided.

Cheers :beer:

Last edited:
Which "final" version of Build 14 do you have - where did you get it? If it's the one from the first post of this thread, dated 1st January 2022, then the 21st December update also linked from the first post is intended to be installed onto that 1st January version. The update is just a zip file - you need to unpack it yourself and then copy it into place.

Which "final" version of Build 14 do you have - where did you get it? If it's the one from the first post of this thread, dated 1st January 2022, then the 21st December update also linked from the first post is intended to be installed onto that 1st January version. The update is just a zip file - you need to unpack it yourself and then copy it into place.
Seems I downloaded the installed version of Build 14 Final some time in August of 2020 since that's the date on the file. Sorry for the confusing pre-edited response. Shoddy memory isn't doing me any favours at the moment.

Last edited:
First make a copy of your existing installation. PoTC doesn't dump anything in the registry; you can have as many installations as will fit on your hard drive.

You might get away with running the installer from post #1 of this thread on top of that copy of your existing version, to bring it up to 2022 standard. Then copy the update into place.

And if it all goes horribly wrong, you'll be glad you made that copy of what you have now!

Otherwise, if you still have the original CD's, and don't want to buy a replacement BD-RW drive, invest in a cheap USB CD or DVD drive.

First make a copy of your existing installation. PoTC doesn't dump anything in the registry; you can have as many installations as will fit on your hard drive.

You might get away with running the installer from post #1 of this thread on top of that copy of your existing version, to bring it up to 2022 standard. Then copy the update into place.

And if it all goes horribly wrong, you'll be glad you made that copy of what you have now!

Otherwise, if you still have the original CD's, and don't want to buy a replacement BD-RW drive, invest in a cheap USB CD or DVD drive.
Brilliant. Thanks for the advice. I wasn't expecting that detail about registry files. From what I recall pretty much all games made around then had registry files. I'll give it a shot and let you guys know how it works out, just in case someone else wants to try the same thing later on.

And truth be told I've been wanting a portable BD-RW drive anyway so I can install DVD and Blu-Ray based programmes on my laptop, so perhaps I should just bite the bullet and go ahead with that anyway.

EDIT: Can confirm, it worked fine. I haven't tried loading a save from my previous installation, mostly because with the new ships and skins available I want to start fresh.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to put out an update by the end of this week. Could anyone who wants something included please upload it?

Here's the bugfix I uploaded earlier + a texture file I noticed that was mirrored. (globes in interiors)

Attachments

• JRH files mars 23.7z
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
First update of 2023, at last!
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_300323.zip

There are some fixes to the "Ardent" and "Gold Bug" storylines.

Several interface screens have been re-aligned by @Baste - look closely and see how you like the changes...

But the main changes in this version will be most apparent to the non-English speakers here. @Hijodeleon and @Homo eructus have improved and added to the Spanish translation. And @AkrimalS has added a lot to the Russian translation. Neither translation are yet fully complete but both have made significant forward movement, so many thanks to our translators! :cheers

Back